Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by marzoom
I have one but lost some collets for it. I really never was a fan of whacking the friggin thing with live ammo.

There is no danger doing that. The only thing that might happen is bullet damage.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Found a collect for my rcbs puller. Life is good.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RCBS impact bullet puller can be used with Lee shellholders in place of a collet, in case you lose any collets again. Didn't discover that on my own, but was told about it by someone after I had lost a collet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad it's working for you. smile Scope rails or rifles that come with a scope and rings already mounted are just screwed on but not torqued or loctited. I think it would be better if the companies just shipped the scope not attached. Same with the rails. When I cleaned up the rail, screws and threads, there was preservative on them so they would have shook loose quickly.
Well Steve; here's my excuse: This one came with just the rail, as those optics packages are usually some low budget, uninteresting proposition. Had a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm with illuminated reticle here so that's what it got. Got so busy with scope rings, scope mounting, bore sighting, and handloading ( It's yet to fire a factory load and I doubt it ever will), that I totally forgot to check that rail. Classic case of "new gun fever".

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The RCBS impact bullet puller can be used with Lee shellholders in place of a collet, in case you lose any collets again. Didn't discover that on my own, but was told about it by someone after I had lost a collet.

Yes I knew that but did not have a shell holder at the time, now I do, LOL I reload the 45-70 with a Lee Loader even though I have a press, just no dies in that caliber. It's all good now.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well can't say I am having much success as to my liking so far with this rifle as far as grouping but think I might be getting close to satisfactory. Just need more range time and more reloading time.
Tried some reloads with the 325gr bullets from Hornady for the Lever cartridges, almost got a nice group. Might try different powder.

Last edited by marzoom; 02/04/24.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So receive my order of cast lead coated bullets today and proceeded to load 20 rounds with the 300 gr coated bullets. If it's nice tomorrow then might head to the range for some testing.
Reloading data for the 300 gr bullets seems kind of limited but did find some starting loads to play with. I also went a different route with the cases this time, I did not resize them since they are fire form to my rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
So receive my order of cast lead coated bullets today and proceeded to load 20 rounds with the 300 gr coated bullets. If it's nice tomorrow then might head to the range for some testing.

Reloading data for the 300 gr bullets seems kind of limited but did find some starting loads to play with. I also went a different route with the cases this time, I did not resize them since they are fire form to my rifle.

If you are loading for blacktails, those 300 gr. bullets will be overkill. smile

The nice thing about single shots like the Scout is that you can check the fired cases in the rifle before they are reloaded. If they fully seat (which they should) then you won't need to resize them. The only things you should do is check the case mouth and case length. You want to make sure that the case mouth will grip the bullet enough. This too should be okay, but better safe than sorry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[quote=If you are loading for blacktails, those 300 gr. bullets will be overkill. smile

The nice thing about single shots like the Scout is that you can check the fired cases in the rifle before they are reloaded. If they fully seat (which they should) then you won't need to resize them. The only things you should do is check the case mouth and case length. You want to make sure that the case mouth will grip the bullet enough. This too should be okay, but better safe than sorry.

I have other rifles for black tail though if the scout is the one I have at the moment then I would still take a shot.

My first experiment with the 300 grainers was a disappointment so will try different loads.

Went back to neck sizing on the cases.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Pick up a box of 350gr Hornady FP bullets to try out. This rifle sure brings a lot of attention at the gun range. Fun, fun,fun.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My takedown version CVA 45/70 shoots several different 300g bullets into 1.5" at 100 yards. Granted, none are sub MOA with any regularity, but nothing over 2" regularly either. I'm just using Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by goalie
My takedown version CVA 45/70 shoots several different 300g bullets into 1.5" at 100 yards. Granted, none are sub MOA with any regularity, but nothing over 2" regularly either. I'm just using Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die.
but maybe you also have a lever action you use them in also.

Why bother crimping? Just curious as don't need too for a single shot

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by goalie
but maybe you also have a lever action you use them in also.

Why bother crimping? Just curious as don't need too for a single shot

Some people believe that crimping results in more consistent release pressure upon firing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (338rcm, 22kHornet, 160user, 12344mag, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.