Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
glad things are going well , keep us posted on the recovery . my surgeon wanted to do my surgery this spring for complete left shoulder replacement but i told surgeon i am going on a May hunt to Africa so i am doing surgery next early January 2025 and i will live with the nasty pain till then. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nearly 4 months out from surgery date.

So glad I had this done, no real pain now, get some sore when I over do but I recognize it and stop.

Can hook up the bushhog and unhook and hook up the planter. Run the chain saw and the pole saw in short burst.

Best thing is I can turn on my side and pull the arm under my pillow and sleep again.

Last edited by worriedman; 05/14/24.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
great news.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good to hear you feel better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deals. Sounds like success!

Yesterday marked 6 months post rotator cuff surgery. Pain I have now is upper trap pain, still working on my exercises which helps. Miss a day or two and the pain gets worse. Might have to go back and get a referral to the nerve docs as I still have some tingling, like when your arm falls asleep from from laying on it too long. Everything works though, no rotator cuff pain and way less impingement of all the parts on that side.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm three years post surgery for a total replacement (normal) on my right shoulder. Did the therapy, recovered well, I don't even think about it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by worriedman
Nearly 4 months out from surgery date.

So glad I had this done, no real pain now, get some sore when I over do but I recognize it and stop.

Can hook up the bushhog and unhook and hook up the planter. Run the chain saw and the pole saw in short burst.

Best thing is I can turn on my side and pull the arm under my pillow and sleep again.

What are the long term restrictions on use and movement?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally got a date for replacing my left knee; next Wednesday I get chopped. Won’t be the 3D printed one though.

Glad I went with the WVU system instead of Valley Health in Virginia. VH is so booked up I wouldn’t even have started all the preliminary checks until August. Getting to be like Canada…….

Talked to someone else yesterday at the polls who had work done, both hips, by my surgeon. He also installed a new shoulder in her husband. No complaints.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you're doing better!

I'm still back and forth to the quacks with my lower back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Had total replacement in 2009, standard not reverse. Cut off ball humerus, pound in metal post and plastic in the glenoid. Results were great for the shoulder, but like Saddle sore, they gave me the nerve block which they touted as offering longer relief after surgery, and it paralyzed my right diaphragm.
Always wondered what percentage of patients that recieved the nerve block experience the diaphragm paralysis? Not enough for a class action suit I guess?

It isn’t malpractice or something you can sue for generally. It’s a side effect of the local anesthetic simply spreading medially along the nerve branches catching the phrenic nerve nearer the spinal column. Of course it has to be addressed and watched and provided for. I don’t know the percentage of occurrence anymore but it is probably more dependent on the practitioner who administers it.

Of course this and other complications are all discussed before hand as standard risks and the patient signs off on them. Or not.

A brachial plexus block particularly medially (closer to the neck) can easily pick up the phrenic nerve which is the juice to your diaphragm. But it just inactivates one side (heniparalysis), not a big deal unless you are a chronic smoker, have emphysema, or another respiratory ailment that is debilitating.

Most normal, healthy patients may notice it but not be uncomfortable because of it. That said I never offered a brachial plexus block to anybody with any degree of respiratory dysfunction.

But, a BPB can being a ton of relief for a day or two afterwards when correctly administered.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/15/24.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Finally got a date for replacing my left knee; next Wednesday I get chopped. Won’t be the 3D printed one though.

Glad I went with the WVU system instead of Valley Health in Virginia. VH is so booked up I wouldn’t even have started all the preliminary checks until August. Getting to be like Canada…….

Talked to someone else yesterday at the polls who had work done, both hips, by my surgeon. He also installed a new shoulder in her husband. No complaints.

Had my right knee done on Feb 12. Nerves still healing and knee needs a little extra thermal while sleeping, but that is decreasing. Do the pt my new joint is titanium, best of luck pappy.. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I had total replacement of right shoulder in August of 2009 and both knees replaced in February of 2013.

I hardly had any pain at all with the shoulder operation.

worriedman: Don't throw a baseball overhand (if you do, just lob the ball) and no high lifting above your head. Good luck.

Last edited by rmb721; 05/15/24.

NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Good to hear and timely return of the thread.

Last Saturday I started feeling some pain in my left shoulder, Sunday morn I woke up at 4:30 in terrible pain.

Shoulder/arm was basically dead all day as well as Monday. NSAIDS stopped the throb but the arm remained useless.

Dropped the meds after Monday night and as of today I can almost get my elbow as high as my ear doing a chicken wing.

Will be seeing fam doc within a week or so to get started on whatever.

Hope your recovery continues going well WM

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Total right shoulder, Aug 2019.

Like someone else posted, "FINALLY, I can sleep all night without this cursed shoulder waking me up!"

Doctor told me don't pick up over 25 pounds. I forget! Shoulder reminds over the next two or three days I broke the rules! 😖
Doctor says no heavy recoil. Replaced bolt gun with an AR, Rem 870 with and antique Rem Sportsman. It's all good!
I keep telling doctor he's destroyed my 30 mph fastball!
With practice, I'm back into the 18 to 20 mph range! 😉
Since I had my right hip replaced (02-24). My "push off" leg repaired, I figure I'll be up to 21-23 mph by summers end!

Honestly, the pain I've experienced going through and recovering from multiple surgeries and physical therapy sessions has been, shall we say, eye opening! 😳
BUT....I can't imagine where I'd be today without the marvels of modern "joint replacement" surgery!

Without the hip replacements, I would definitely be in a wheelchair ♿!
Without the shoulder replacement, I would, no doubt, be in constant pain and pretty much left handed!
....and since my left elbow is a train wreck all it's own, the wheel chair would have to be motorized!
There is no doubt, any outdoor activities would have stopped long ago.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 05/15/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well my old shoulder is still painful ,glad to hear your doing so well !Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
well my old shoulder is still painful ,glad to hear your doing so well !Pete53

Didn't you say you were going on an African trip and would do the surgery after you returned?

In 2017, I stumbled into a really nice old Rem "Sportsman" in 16 gauge for a song and snapped it up!
It was one of the first 500 Rem "Sportsman" made in 16 gauge in 1932. I thought it was pretty special.
My shoulder had been giving me fits for years, but I just kinda ignored it and dealt with the daily pain and self imposed restrictions. Biggest problem was at night. In my sleep, I would move my arm and the excruciating pain of a bone-on-bone shoulder would wake me out of a fit sleep.

Wife yelled at me there was a skunk in the front yard!
I grabbed the Rem 16 gauge and took off in hot pursuit.
I caught up, shouldered the shotgun, pulled the trigger and fell to my knees in blinding pain ---- and missed the skunk!
Somehow, I managed to not drop the nice, old shotgun on the gravel drive!
When the pain subsided to a tolerable level, I went back in the house, put the shotgun up, sat down and made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. A month and a half later, I'm under the knife.
Between the anesthesia and the replacement, I got my first night's sleep in ages!

I don't want to stick my nose in other folks affairs, but the sooner you have the surgery, the sooner you can be through rehab and back to living life as usual .... with a few restrictions!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good luck, lots of surgeries

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Total right shoulder, Aug 2019.

Doctor told me don't pick up over 25 pounds..

Was this recommendation forever?
Can you draw a compound or traditional bow?

Lost Arra in previous camp life
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Glad to hear you are doing well. Had my left shoulder done over 10 years ago, is much stronger today than my right hand and shoulder and I am right handed, so there is that. Always a risk, but more prochedures come out correct than not, so choose the surgeon well.

Last edited by Rapier; 05/15/24.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.