-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are Hell on outgoing salmon and steelhead. It is a serious endeavor (hook and line) for those doing it bigtime, as they have made science out of it. Not a spare time gig at all.

Used to catch a few on flies while steelheading, but it's not been a typical happening in the past few seasons.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/24.

1Minute

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is that what we call whitefish here in eastern Idaho? I used to fly fish the southfork not too far from my house and usually caught as many whitefish as trout.

Bb

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by muleshoe
We catch them up on the Clearwater, they wind up on shore.

Same fish that were so named on the St Joe? Saw an eargle grab a big one one day and wound up in the water with it. I don't know if the eagle was able to unclench and get loose or not - they went around the bend, Eagle looked to be losing.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Is that what we call whitefish here in eastern Idaho? I used to fly fish the southfork not too far from my house and usually caught as many whitefish as trout.

Bb
No. Whites and squaws are entirely different species. Whitefish are related to trout and trout rigs are used to catch them. I've read that lots of fisherman mistake them for suckers and throw them away. They have a turned down mouth but they aren't like suckers at all. They're good eating and the limit is 25/day.

whitefish
[Linked Image from idfg.idaho.gov]

squawfish
[Linked Image from idfg.idaho.gov]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Very predatory on salmon and steelhead smolts yet they protect the walleye which is a invasive species.

Not in Idaho waters with native salmon or steelhead runs.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: I love Salmon and Steelhead!
I say good for that busy mo'fo of a fisherman!
IF.... he fished every day of that season (153 days!) he had to catch 66 (sixty six) of those "Squawfish" per day to achieve those numbers (10,755 fish & $107,800.00 in cash!).
I am impressed - and probably not inclined to infer he used illegal nets (unless he was a local Indian person).
No matter how he did it I say "keep up the good work" - and get rich doing it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, that's an ugly fish.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Those Idaho fish pass through the Columbia where the walleye are regulated with limits.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally, Idaho planted walleye only in a few reservoirs where they could be prevented from spreading by dams and weirs. That didn't last long. As soon as their numbers got big and fisherman discovered that they were great gamefish, they started illegally planting them in other lakes and rivers. They're in a lot of different places now.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very predatory on salmon and steelhead smolts yet they protect the walleye which is a invasive species.
Walleye is probably the best tasting fresh water fish .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve been reading about guys, mostly retired guys that live on or close to the Columbia River, catching enough squawfish in a year to buy a new $50,000 fishing boat for at least 20 years. A couple guys went in as partners and averaged around $40,000 a year for multiple years. Nowadays I have no doubt that $100,000 is doable but you’d be fishing damn near 365 days a year for a fish that aside from the money would be pretty boring to target.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a bunch of money in controlling invasive species (I know squawfish isn't).

UofI developed a brook trout that is a YY male. WA is using some of these to introduce into basins with undesired brook trout populations (brook trout threaten Dolly Varden populations through cross breeding). If successful, introducing the YY males will create all male offspring (YY males breeding XX females), extirpating the population over time. In theory. We'll have to see how it works in practice.

I'm working with another company to develop a similar trojan horse genetic strategy for invasive carp (both the German and Chinese varieties). Should have a good idea if it works in a three or four years.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by basdjs
Sounds like a great part-time job to me ! 🎣

Originally Posted by Oldguy03
Great Payday, I think that would be a fantastic part-time job.

$100K to fish? Why make it a part time job?

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
IF.... he fished every day of that season (153 days!) he had to catch 66 (sixty six) of those "Squawfish" per day to achieve those numbers (10,755 fish & $107,800.00 in cash!).
I am impressed - and probably not inclined to infer he used illegal nets (unless he was a local Indian person).

In case you haven’t noticed…..we currently have 365 days in a year. 😂

“Fishing season” doesn’t apply to everything equally and MANY fisheries are open year round. I’ll let you reasonably deduce whether eliminating invasive and deleterious species would logically fall under the regulated season for lowland lakes or if squawfish on the Columbia River might fall under a different set of rules….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This man knows.

As a fish biologist I always found it rather silly they are spending our money to control a native predatory fish after introducing walleye, 2 species of black bass, crappie, catfish, etc and no bounties on those.

I say control because it's not an elimination program to the best of my knowledge. If not mistaken, when I was up there thru summer 2017 the bounty was only paid on fish over 9" in length. Research showed, as I recall, that once over 9" their diets switch from primarily invertebrates and more small fish become part of their diet. Kind of like some of those other fishes I mentioned.

Northern Pikeminnow are a native species that eats millions of juvenile salmon and steelhead each year in the Columbia and Snake River systems.

Northern pikeminnow are managed in part through the Northern Pikeminnow Sport-Reward Fishery Program, which aims not to eradicate Northern Pikeminnow, but rather to reduce their average size by removing 10 to 20 percent of the larger fish from their population. Reducing the number of larger Northern Pikeminnow and thus shrinking the average-sized fish in the population can greatly help juvenile salmon and steelhead make it to sea, since smaller sized Northern Pikeminnow eat fewer smolts than larger fish. See the Pikeminnow Sport-Reward Fishery Program page for more information.

The folks that fish for them use small hooks, usually a small piece of worm, and are very competitive to the point of knives having been pulled when one fisher thinks another has taken "his" spot.. I'd bet there are some guys that try other baits/lures in the hopes of catching the larger ones, last I heard there were tagged fish worth big money.

Should those Lower Snake River dams ever be taken out, it will be interesting to see what effect that will have on the bounty program. Many of the fishers work just downstream of those dams and do pretty good. I know of a couple that were making $40K-75K a season on that gig, but they fished all night and a good part of the day. Not a job for the lightweights. Small boat, long hours, bad weather, etc, they'd be out there.

Last edited by Valsdad; 02/11/24.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

In case you haven’t noticed…..we currently have 365 days in a year. 😂

“Fishing season” doesn’t apply to everything equally and MANY fisheries are open year round. I’ll let you reasonably deduce whether eliminating invasive and deleterious species would logically fall under the regulated season for lowland lakes or if squawfish on the Columbia River might fall under a different set of rules….
The part of this bounty on the Snake River in Idaho is open year round with no limits on non-game fish.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been going since 1990.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Rock Chuck

Can I steal that?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LouisB
Hey Rock Chuck

Can I steal that?

Well, I stole it so I don't have it copyrighted.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.