K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
More like a depression

Not around here. My BIL owns a restaurant and he's posting record profits

That's because groceries are so high and the price difference between cooking at home and going out are becoming negligible, might as well not have dishes to clean while at it. As long as food and service is good at a halfway affordable price any restaurant should be killing it right now. Folks are still in the I wanna get out of the house mode after 2 years of lockdown. Then take in consideration credit card debt is at a all time high. But at some point, folks are gonna run out of money and credit.

Last edited by killerv; 02/13/24.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
More like a depression

That is a tiny sample. The US economy is a sham. Trillion now in credit card debt. Many people defaulting on car and home loans. Inflation is bad with needed items like food and fuel. They are keeping this under wraps as long as they can just to unleash hell once Trump wins. They can then blame him for all of this and sadly the dumbfu cks in this country will believe it

Agreed. The Hershey area is insulated from the economy. Things are still booming here

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Credit card debt is high because the majority of the population has zero financial literacy. In other words, people are morons when it comes to money.

The commercial real estate sector is a big trouble right now. We will see what the fallout of that is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The massive influx to this area is keeping the local economy pretty strong. When the real estate up north crashes due to no one wanting their existing homes, it will finally catch up with us. Our rural land is being raped due to the demand. A bit of a cool down would be nice.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More like a depression

We are losing restaurants left and right.
Pretty much every non-franchised one has closed.
Older, nice places, owned by the same families for 40+ years. Only thing left is fast food, snooty expensive places, and Denny’s.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
More like a depression

profits or income. I could easily see income. Profits I would find very hard to believe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
More like a depression

Older, nice places, owned by the same families for 40+ years. Only thing left is fast food, snooty expensive places, and Denny’s.

Odd that's reversed here. Most all the Burger Kings closed recently in the area.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Credit card debt is high because the majority of the population has zero financial literacy. In other words, people are morons when it comes to money.

The commercial real estate sector is a big trouble right now. We will see what the fallout of that is.

With so many people "working" from home, I'd except that rental space in those big office complexes would be in low demand, but there is a section of former farm ground that Boys Town owned here in suburban Omaha where multiple large apartment complexes and large office complexes are currently under construction. When somebody comes up with a software package that can accurately track remote employee productivity, I think that the majority of those big "work in the office" buildings will go the way of the dinosaur.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A recession in 2024 is inevitable, but it will be met with massive rate cuts which they have to give.

We have been on a good run the last decade. Can’t last forever.
You may very well be right with the massive rate cuts. I think, if Donald Trump is sworn in, one of the things he will do is make changes that bring manufacturing back home. The past 3 years it has left at a break neck speed. In my lifetime I've never seen a democrat encourage MADE IN THE USA.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

With so many people "working" from home, I'd except that rental space in those big office complexes would be in low demand, but there is a section of former farm ground that Boys Town owned here in suburban Omaha where multiple large apartment complexes and large office complexes are currently under construction. When somebody comes up with a software package that can accurately track remote employee productivity, I think that the majority of those big "work in the office" buildings will go the way of the dinosaur.

It’s a combination of working from home and high interest rates. Commercial loans need redone every 5 or so years so a pile of loans will be redone at 9-11% interest. Regional banks are into commercial real estate like 40% so you will see a lot more bank failures as the commercial real estate collapse accelerates.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by killerv
More like a depression

That's because groceries are so high and the price difference between cooking at home and going out are becoming negligible, might as well not have dishes to clean while at it. As long as food and service is good at a halfway affordable price any restaurant should be killing it right now. Folks are still in the I wanna get out of the house mode after 2 years of lockdown. Then take in consideration credit card debt is at an all time high. But at some point, folks are gonna run out of money and credit.

Is that post made in jest?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
More like a depression

Same in this area. Many small businesses have folded recently

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure if this fits here, but every once in a while I get on Capitol ones Auto Navigator and browse cars. There is no credit impact. Anyways I notice right off that the lowest interest rate is 20% up to 24.99%. My score is the same it has ever been, and the last time I looked on here the rates were 4-7%, probably two years ago.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Is the working from home thing still that big? I do know a few people still working from home, but many I know have went back to work. Im speaking on a localized term, so curious if there is still many working from home all around the country

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Not sure if this fits here, but every once in a while I get on Capitol ones Auto Navigator and browse cars. There is no credit impact. Anyways I notice right off that the lowest interest rate is 20% up to 24.99%. My score is the same it has ever been, and the last time I looked on here the rates were 4-7%, probably two years ago.
WOW! Who in there right mind would buy anything at that rate? That would make even a $10k car payment too much for alot of folks

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
6-7% for auto loans right now if you have good credit. Some manufacturers are offering lower rates.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WOW! Who in there right mind would buy anything at that rate? That would make even a $10k car payment too much for alot of folks

They soften the payment by extending the loans. That 10k car payment is still 350/m, just for 4 years instead of 3.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's an election year, so expect soft economic policies, such as rate cuts and government injections of capital, designed to keep the incumbent in office.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They soften the payment by extending the loans. That 10k car payment is still 350/m, just for 4 years instead of 3.

My CU offers 7.7% on a 9 year old car - a 10k loan over 3 years is about 300 a month. Or about 1/2 a week's pay at fast food wages.

Me

Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (264mag, 3333vl, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 320090T, 21 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,781
Posts18,536,100
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.