Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Local kid wanted to be a special forces airborne sniper green beret type.

He decided to be an underwater welder in the gulf.

Nobody had the heart to tell his mother that he chose the much more dangerous profession.

My secretary's son does that and she told me it was super dangerous, but I didn't realize how much.

The area manager for Citation would come up here occasionally.

His son was an underwater welder for a very short time.

Aside from all the death falling off the rig when he was under it...the worst part he said was you would be welding away and look over your shoulder and see a fish the size of a Buick staring at you and the pretty lights.

Mouth agape...mouth full of teeth type of thing.

He didn't like that.

I am MAGA.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Longbob
Local kid wanted to be a special forces airborne sniper green beret type.

He decided to be an underwater welder in the gulf.

Nobody had the heart to tell his mother that he chose the much more dangerous profession.

My secretary's son does that and she told me it was super dangerous, but I didn't realize how much.

The area manager for Citation would come up here occasionally.

His son was an underwater welder for a very short time.

Aside from all the death falling off the rig when he was under it...the worst part he said was you would be welding away and look over your shoulder and see a fish the size of a Buick staring at you and the pretty lights.

Mouth agape...mouth full of teeth type of thing.

He didn't like that.

It creeps me out when he tells me some of the stories. He has been working in the canals around the Houston area a lot on several of the structures. He said it is so dark and murky that you can hardly see anything a lot of the time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I used to be a construction superintendent for a major oil company, and when we finished with the supporting infrastructure down here they said they needed me in ND. Umm... Thanks, but no.

Still do some oilfield consulting with overseeing projects for oil companies, or a liaison between oil company projects and land owners.

Most recent was overseeing the plugging of two wells on one ranch.

Gigs pay well... Like a grand a day, or I wouldn't even do it.

Plugging wells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rig looks like the ones we used to drill shallow wells with. They used a rig similar to that to drill the hole to get the miners out at the quecreek mine in somerset Pa. A few years back

They can indeed drill shallow wells with that rig. I don't think much over 5000 feet.
Back in the 80's up until the price gas dropped, and shale gas started, there were thousands of shallow wells drilled with those rigs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The 3 companys I worked for the company men were God on the rig and could run off tool pushers or the whole crew.
I guess it depends on who you work for. An exception would be if some one called for Stop Work Authority for a Safety or Environmental issue. And that was just the last few years.

I guess it depended on who owned the rig? I worked on land rigs and the company man represented the company we drill for. As long as the company mans request was within the limits of the machinery and was safe, you did it. But, when the request was outside the limits of the machinery or not safe, you didn't do it, and there wasn't anything the company man could do. If you and the co. man disagreed, you wrote it up on the daily log.

The hole where I worked with 6 different co men was where they made bad decisions and I refused to do their bidding or suggested they do something different. By them refusing to do something different, it caused hole problems, not safety or exceeding the limits of the machinery, and they were run off, not by me, but the company they worked for. Never was my job or the crews in any doubt.

When I said I ran them off the rig, I dont mean I fired them, I meant I told them to leave the rig floor, tanks, etc. and dont come back until I said they could. They had a choice, leave the rig or I would stop operations. I only had to stop operations 3 times that I can remember, while I worked in the patch.

Never saw a co man run anyone of the drilling crew off.... I did see mud loggers, core drilling companies, cementing companies, welders, lay down crews, etc. get run off.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, AdamT204, 11 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,956
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.