Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Schnable looks too large to me. Looks more like a Chicopee Falls forend instead of Utica.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it is a 99A. I misspoke earlier and called it a 1899A. The schnable of these A’s was longer than the EGs and Gs so that does not look suspicious to me. The lines on the checks of the butt stock imo are not as sharp as they should be. I feel pretty confident they have been sanded.

IMHO if the numbers match I would be confident the gun left the factory in that configuration. I think the whole gun has been lightly sanded and refinished. And I’m suspicious but not confident the metal has been touched up as well.

Wouldn’t be the first or last time I was wrong….

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a beautiful G in 30-30 that was once an 1899H in 22HP. Letter states that Savage did the work. Maybe that is what happened here.

You can do anything you want with pictures nowadays.

Based on that, I think the rifle is correct. But I wouldn’t purchase online without a 3 day inspection.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
You can do anything you want with pictures nowadays.
Based on that, I think the rifle is correct. But I wouldn’t purchase online without a 3 day inspection.
True that.
The rifle looks suspicious to me as well, but in hand may be a different story.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There were a number of receivers that never got finished after WWI. QA problems? Don't know. But we've seen this with 1919 receivers, 1922, 1924...

Then during the Depression, Savage pulled them out and finished them, added stocks and sold them. We've seen 99H's with 1919 and 1922 serial numbers, for example - and they letter as 99H's despite 99H's not showing up until 1924.

I think all the signs point to this being one. Receiver started in 1927, finished in 1931 or thereabouts.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for the replys. A lot of knowledge here.

LOL
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A person with blueing knowledge would look at the direction of the carding of the rust blue and polish. Factory standards vs neighborhood gunsmith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Serial number 337547 here, 1931 rifle probably.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

OP rifle at 293553 here.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure if it adds anything to the discussion, but my 99H with the “ ‘99 “ is #337113.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It does. We've only found a couple of 99's with that 'quote' mark in them. Thx!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jaaack and Rory. That is why I think the rifle was 1) reconditioned/rebuilt by Savage or 2) assembled by Savage at a time 1931 vs the time we would connect with the serial number.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick99
Thanks Jaaack and Rory. That is why I think the rifle was 1) reconditioned/rebuilt by Savage or 2) assembled by Savage at a time 1931 vs the time we would connect with the serial number.

What timeframe would you guess for the rebuild?

Does the mark indicate a rebuild on all rifles seen with the mark?

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
[ '99 ] - could it mean that Savage really wanted to still keep on calling it the 1899 but couldn't? A disgruntled roll stamp maker who wished it was still called the 1899?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rifles with the mark that we've found have been in the 337,xxx range - 1931.

We haven't seen it on a definite rebuild before.

Considering this would have had a 1927 receiver stamp on it if it was finished/shipped in 1927, I'm not sure if they'd have restamped it during a refurb - or if they did that they'd have perfectly lined up all the rest of the stamp. File/grind the receiver down to where no trace of the first stamp remained before restamping? Hmm...
That's why I think it's a receiver finished late.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Calhoun
OP rifle at 293553 here.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Did anyone else notice how ragged the heads are on the cartridge guide pins? Looks like they were seated with a small punch or something. Have never see any that bad before. More rework??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Rick99

What timeframe would you guess for the rebuild?

Does the mark indicate a rebuild on all rifles seen with the mark?

I ment that I think the rifle was at Savage in 1931 and that that has more to account for its condition than the serial which would indicate early 1927. The way the receiver ring is marked is because of a roll die being used at the time (around 1931) not to indicate anything special.

I also question the barrel having a ramp front sight. Knowing the barrel address might help but I have not seen that.

Rick...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Craigster
I'd say so.

I looked at the screw slots, dust patterns, oil patterns, dried oil on the side of the bolt, varnish on the lever, lack of sanded over dents with the possible exception of the forearm I see two small scratches, wood to receiver fit and amount of proud wood, look at edges of sights for marks, raised edge around some of the lettering not all, one broken top back edge of the forearm (I've done the same with a cleaning rag snagging and splitting off the wood), consistent blue color, lack of "smoothness" of the bluing on a handled gun.

Overall, I am only concerned about the forearm being lightly sanded and perhaps extra finish on the buttstock. I could be wrong.

Did you buy it Roy.

Norm

Norm, sorry I hadn't answered your post. Yes, I scooped it up. I like those 99A's alot.

Hopefully we'll get some more answers when it's in hand I appreciate this conversation it's been educational.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Please do follow through. I saw the rifle on two different sites and it looked different just from the way it was photo'd. I'm still looking for a nice 99-A with a ramp front sight so was looking close at it.

Glad it found a home and hope to learn more about it. Very interested in your in-hand review.

Last edited by Rick99; 02/15/24.

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Craigster
I'd say so.

I looked at the screw slots, dust patterns, oil patterns, dried oil on the side of the bolt, varnish on the lever, lack of sanded over dents with the possible exception of the forearm I see two small scratches, wood to receiver fit and amount of proud wood, look at edges of sights for marks, raised edge around some of the lettering not all, one broken top back edge of the forearm (I've done the same with a cleaning rag snagging and splitting off the wood), consistent blue color, lack of "smoothness" of the bluing on a handled gun.

Overall, I am only concerned about the forearm being lightly sanded and perhaps extra finish on the buttstock. I could be wrong.

Did you buy it Roy.

Norm

Norm, sorry I hadn't answered your post. Yes, I scooped it up. I like those 99A's alot.

Hopefully we'll get some more answers when it's in hand I appreciate this conversation it's been educational.

glad that you got it , many questions hopefully we can get the answers once it is in hand.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The reduced price they put on it recently definitely made it more attractive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.