Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by dla
If you know how to run your f-ing weapon then you certainly can "trust your life to it". It doesn't matter if it is a JC Higgins shotgun or some forum approved carbine.

Only if said weapon has been thoroughly vetted under various conditions with enough rounds through it to be completely assured it will perform when needed & on demand.

If not, you're just hoping it will work when needed.

YMMV

MM

^^^^^

This truth gets skipped over and trivialized by some self-appointed expurtz here. It really is incredulous to see them do it over and over.

Really wish they'd let the real experts say their piece and stop criticizing them every time the subject comes up. These idiots always succeed in soiling the thread.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR
Go to a competition shoot of any kind and see if anyone who has a malfunction wins.

Games \ne real life

Originally Posted by TWR
We practice malfunction drills regularly and know how to “run our weapons” but one bobble will knock you out of first place and in a gunfight, there is no second place.

Look up the word "canard". "no second place" is the title of a book and a bunch of horseshlt from Hollywood's mythology of the old west gunfighter.

Originally Posted by TWR
There’s nothing wrong with buying proven quality, it’s the smart choice. Doesn’t matter if you’re defending your life, shooting a match, hunting or just out plinking.

Again that doesn’t mean you have to buy the most expensive, just buy proven.

Every AR from $400 up is "proven". In the real world, if the gun will run for 30 rounds, it is good enough. If it will run for 300 rounds the Military will issue it.
Hmm. you have a few thoughts leaning towards decent thinking. Then you fall face first and can't get up. A shame it is..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
The 11.5” SBR with K suppressor I have is just as long as my 16” carbines but shooting indoors is bearable with the can but certainly not fun.

I will say the warrior poet John Lovell says he’ll use his SBR without a can, citing the noise will cause confusion and pain with the blast and alert his neighbors to call 911. He says Auditory Exclusion has “protected” his awareness when he has shot indoors without a suppressor.

There are times I think the suppressor might be better left off and maybe ear pro donned? But the two times I’ve grabbed a gun in the dark, it’s been my 45.

Auditory Exclusion was mentioned here. It is a strange phenomenon indeed. I have experienced this several times. Close-range gunshots directed at me and my shots going out sounded like popcorn popping.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auditory exclusion may ‘protect’ your awareness but it doesn’t do anything to protect from actual hearing damage.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Auditory exclusion may ‘protect’ your awareness but it doesn’t do anything to protect from actual hearing damage.
I damn sure ain't gonna stop to put muffs on when lives are at stake in an instant.

Hearing damage. Last I checked if you were dead you had hearing damage that could not be repaired.

That said we will probably put suppressors on the vehicle guns and the house gun as we can afford to. But it won't stop us from doing what needs to be done.

Last fall when I had a bear ripping into my tent at midnight I did not have time to put in ear plugs. I did not have time when a bear was tearing the siding off one of the other cabins either. Both handguns are loud in confined quarters. I can still type. I mean hear and type.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got the PC9 out to the range today to check the accuracy of various ammo.

The last thing I did before leaving was to fire one round without ear protection. This was outside but under a range cover with a back wall and peaked roof that channels sounds back to you.

The noise from an S&B 124 grain round was a sharp crack, loud but not painful at all. It actually seemed to be a bit less loud than a .22 fired from my Ruger semi-auto with a 6 7/8" barrel.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
I damn sure ain't gonna stop to put muffs on when lives are at stake in an instant.

Hearing damage. Last I checked if you were dead you had hearing damage that could not be repaired.

That said we will probably put suppressors on the vehicle guns and the house gun as we can afford to. But it won't stop us from doing what needs to be done.

Last fall when I had a bear ripping into my tent at midnight I did not have time to put in ear plugs. I did not have time when a bear was tearing the siding off one of the other cabins either. Both handguns are loud in confined quarters. I can still type. I mean hear and type.

this is the best post. If your dead, you have hearing damage that cannot be repaired. I choose to live and protect those who count on me, if a 16 inch 5.56 solves the problem in my home, and I cant hear anymore, at least my wife will still be there to hug me and love on me, and I will be there to hug her back and love on her.

these days,
Multiple offenders
body armor
homes that heavy bullets shoot thru
Police more than minutes away

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by local_dildo attempting long distance cheer leading
Really wish they'd let the real experts say their piece and stop criticizing them every time the subject comes up. These idiots always succeed in soiling the thread.

When your brain finally develops, you'll begin to understand that reality is far different from forum yabbering.

Last edited by dla; 02/12/24.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

I was careful in my wording because in a stressful situation, you need to be aware of what’s going on. Hearing may or may not come back but as rost said, if you dead, your hearing is gone too.

Stress and adrenaline can do weird things. Do what you have to do and deal with the consequences later.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
If you know how to run your f-ing weapon then you certainly can "trust your life to it". It doesn't matter if it is a JC Higgins shotgun or some forum approved carbine.

Only if said weapon has been thoroughly vetted under various conditions with enough rounds through it to be completely assured it will perform when needed & on demand.

YMMV

MM

Two things here that are so stupid that they need rebuttal:

• This "vetting" consists of making sure the weapon is loaded and in condition to operate. Anything more than that assumes you will always have a choice.
  • If you remember that the average Joe is not a cop, and doesn't have to pick a fight, and if you study self-defense shootings - most people are not forum-approved ninjas. Their weapons and skill level are mediocre - yet they prevail. The paragraph highlighted in bold above reads like it was written by a Marine Squirrel on crack.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not (not have I ever) argued to not use a 5.56. I simply said that auditory exclusion doesn’t prevent hearing damage, since others were talking about hearing damage. Obviously that’s secondary to surviving a home invasion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by local_dildo attempting long distance cheer leading

When your brain finally develops, you'll begin to understand that reality is far different from forum yabbering.

Hey phaagut troll, you're quite possibly the stupidest pos I've ever run into on an internet bulletin board. And I've been on them since the internet started.. Which makes you a really really stupid fugk. You never ever contribute anything positive or worthy of a takeaway.

Now go eat a bag of baboon dicks.

STFU and die, you fugking moron.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/12/24.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

YMMV

MM

Two things here that are so stupid that they need rebuttal:

• This "vetting" consists of making sure the weapon is loaded and in condition to operate. Anything more than that assumes you will always have a choice.
  • If you remember that the average Joe is not a cop, and doesn't have to pick a fight, and if you study self-defense shootings - most people are not forum-approved ninjas. Their weapons and skill level are mediocre - yet they prevail. The paragraph highlighted in bold above reads like it was written by a Marine Squirrel on crack.

Just STFU, you fugking idiot. You wouldn't recognize positive thoughtful advice if it was stuffed up your vag-hole. You moron. Constantly schitting on great threads.

FOAD, you phaagut creep.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by local_dildo struggling with his acne-powered emotions
Just STFU, you fugking idiot. You wouldn't recognize positive thoughtful advice if it was stuffed up your vag-hole. You moron. Constantly schitting on great threads.

FOAD, you phaagut creep.

Life is tough - it's tougher when you are stupid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta wonder:

If a person could somehow actually reach through the internet to physically grab another person by the throat, would venomous, foul mouth insults still occur in online forums?

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Gotta wonder:

If a person could somehow actually reach through the internet to physically grab another person by the throat, would venomous, foul mouth insults still occur in online forums?

Yes. You think people don't insult others face to face? You think some of those slinging insults can't throw hands to back it up?

IME - every person that chirped "say that to my face" ended up face in the dirt wondering what happened. RARE is it "Say it to my face" and then the guy saying it is laid out.

Just observations from industries and jobs where chit talking is king. The military, construction, and trucking.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Problem there is if you are dealing with an old man. We don't fight fare. We learned a long time ago you loose a fair fight....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I got the PC9 out to the range today to check the accuracy of various ammo.

The last thing I did before leaving was to fire one round without ear protection. This was outside but under a range cover with a back wall and peaked roof that channels sounds back to you.

The noise from an S&B 124 grain round was a sharp crack, loud but not painful at all. It actually seemed to be a bit less loud than a .22 fired from my Ruger semi-auto with a 6 7/8" barrel.

A couple questions for you Jim. How's the trigger. The trigger on my original PC-9 is the worst trigger I have ever had. I suspect Ruger improved it. Did you do any accuracy testing, and if so, how did it behave? Are you going to stick with factory sights?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The trigger is basically the same as a 10/22 but breaks a lot more cleanly than any 10/22 I've owned. There's just a small amount of take up with a very clean break right at 5 pounds on my trigger gauge - no mush or creep at all, then a bit of overtravel. The reset is both tactile and audible right at the same point where it broke, then no take up at all with another clean break.

I have no complaints about the trigger action given its purpose. The pull weight might be improved but for a defensive weapon it's fine, in a stressful situation you wouldn't want a trigger that's too light.

The accuracy surprised me. I mounted a Leupold 1-4x20 on it for testing and shot groups at 50 yards. The buttstock was on a bag but I held the forend in my hand and rested that over some sandbags. CCI 115 gr. aluminum cased Blazer did the best, 5 shots into .65", a nice group with all shots touching. S&B 124 gr. bullets put 5 into .73". Winchester white box was the worst with 5 into 1.5". That's certainly sufficient for combat accuracy out to 100 yards, and since my house has no straight line distance longer than 17 yards I'll call it good. wink

Something I wanted to check for was any POI change when the barrel is removed and then replaced. I adjusted the barrel nut down until the two halves went back together with some resistance. Fired 5 rounds of the S&B, removed the barrel and put it back on, let the bolt slam home 3-4 times which is what Ruger recommends to seat it well, then fired 5 more shots.

Very happy to report that there was no detectable POI change. All 10 shots went into a 1.2" group at 50 yards.

Will be mounting a Holosun HS407C on it but still debating whether to put it on the receiver or on the barrel. POI shift isn't a real worry for receiver mounting but it's kind of like the economist's quandary - it works in practice but still doesn't work in theory.

I've ordered an EGW mount that replaces the rear sight, that lets you get the lowest possible cheek weld and co-witnesses with the front sight but you lose the irons as backup. Mounted on the receiver still gives you a decent cheek weld although not as tight as barrel mounting and it partially hides the rear sight.

It's not really that big of a deal since this isn't some bugout gun or hit the streets for the urban guerilla revolution thing. It's strictly for home defense with a projected 99.99% actual use just plinking and target shooting. If the dot fails then it fails, this thing points so well I probably don't need the sights within the space of my house and if any S hit the F there sure wouldn't be any time to switch over to backups anyway.

Going to try mounting the dot in both places and just see what I like best. Will also be mounting a light on the front but still researching those.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.