Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have worked with nearly all of the contemporary 7's. The only two I have not is the 7x57, 7 PRC & 7 RUM. None of them offer anything I cannot obtain from the 280 AI or 7 Wby.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
My other immediate thought is his discussion on COAL of the various cartridges. He claims all of them are "handicapped" because of 3.34" COAL. He opines they reach their full potential at 3.6 or 3.7 COAL. Using a modified Homer Powley spreadsheet, the difference in case capacity in a 7 RM between 3.34 and 3.6 COAL using a Nosler 175 ABLR is 4.3 grains. Using Homer's speed calculation, which I modified a bit to match actual velocities, this difference is 38 ft/sec. Using 3.7 COAL, the differences are 5.9 grains increase case capacity and 52 ft/sec. And I'm not aware if a Rem M700 can actually contain a 3.7 COAL in its mag. Maybe, I've never tried it and its been 15+ years since I owned a Rem 700.

I'm all about maximizing case efficiency but I'm not sure I'd sweat those differences.

I think a 7 Rem is a bit more flexible if you can get it past the 3.34" mark myself with the longer bullets. Saying that, my favorite rifle I own is Bob's old Brownell 1-10 twist 7 Rem and it's only 3.4" max. But that rifle was made in 1965 when 175's were blunter nosed and picking a bullet was way easier than today grin

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would agree on the 3.6 length in the 700. My follower measures 3.65. I load 180 Berger Hybrid to 3.6 and with Retumbo and it chronys at 3020 fps., 26 inch barrel. I believe the 7RM cartridge potential is hindered by short mag boxes and throats in factory guns cause Remington wanted the case to function in all of them, unlike Wby. That being said, in a pinch, factory ammo is everywhere.
Properly set up, there`s no flys on the 7 RM.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by John55
As long as they're using the same bullet in all the tests it doesn't make any difference. I think their choice of a 160gr bullet is a good one as I'd bet more hunters use that weight or even a 150 than folks using the 175-180 class.

Does that change if you had added the 7-08 to the group? I shoot 162s in mine but I bet most are 140/120 class there.

I'm sure it would change, but for the ones listed I believe the 160gr is the best all around choice.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
#1. He is not picking one cartridge over another

#2. To keep things equal, he has chosen the 160 CX because he feels like it is a quality hunting bullet with a good BC capable of killing Elk cleanly and humanly to 600 yards. I had the 175 ELD X blow up on an Elk (7 PRC) ant 247 yards. Through another video he does not recommend them for Elk. I will never use another one for hunting!

#3. He is using an 8 twist 26” barrel for all. We don’t care what your 7 mag barrel will do.

#4. He wants to dispel any myths and wants to present facts about each cartridge including the bullschit 3K fps of the factory 175 ELDX 7 PRC. With my 26” Bartlein, I am getting 2880. I bought into that cool aid.

#5. He is not going to declare a winner. Just facts.

#6. It seems to me that when this subject turns up, a lot of folks say I have this or that and I am not interested in the PRC. Fine, but don’t knock someone for buying something new. New stuff is fun!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really do think that the 7mm PRC makes the other long action & mags superfluous, a little better than the AO, no belt, modern case design, effective and easy to shoot. Haven't shot my 7mm RM since I completed the PRC, don't imagine I'll use it much again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
What a loser... No Mashburn Super grin

He wanted to give the other cartridges a chance, beretzs! grin

This should be interesting. I like that they're going to test the best factory options at 100 and 600 yds as well as all the handloading stuff. I wonder how they'll address pressure differences in the handloading part. This guy seems very knowledgeable but, he's definitely got opinions. How he handles the testing will be make or break. Super smart idea for his company though - tap into all the angst over these questions and personal feelings. If done methodically and fairly, it'll be great and sell some rifles, too I bet!

As he said, mag box length/handloading is huge comparing these cartridges. On a side note that might interest a couple of you, I'm packing up my 7PRC CLR to go back to Outkast for a re-paint. You learn alot about yourself with a custom build if you're open to it and, I've had to admit to myself that I'm just not man enough for a brash paint job on a rifle stock! frown God bless you guys who are and can handle the sideways looks from your hunting buddies when you uncase those tawdry shootin irons. Anyway, I emailed Glenn to let him know it was on the way and asked him about lengthening the mag box. He told me he had just finished a fixture to make that a standard option on his CLR jobs - milling the mag box well and ejection port and installing a Rem 3.7 mag box. Those guys are killing it. So, that's on the work order. When I get around to handloading for this thing or rebarrel it for the Mashburn I'll be all set! laugh

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I really do think that the 7mm PRC makes the other long action & mags superfluous, a little better than the AO, no belt, modern case design, effective and easy to shoot. Haven't shot my 7mm RM since I completed the PRC, don't imagine I'll use it much again.

You may think the long actions and belts are superfluous, and that's everyone's choice. For myself, I think the PRC is a marketing gimmick to sell more rifles and ammo. It does nothing for me as a reloader because I can load any bullet I want and match or beat it in velocity and accuracy. Gotta love choices and maybe for the majority of hunters that shoot nothing but factory ammo it may have an advantage for now. But as more gun makers put 8 twist tubes on their 7mm Rem mags that could very well change.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have worked with nearly all of the contemporary 7's. The only two I have not is the 7x57, 7 PRC & 7 RUM. None of them offer anything I cannot obtain from the 280 AI or 7 Wby.

The real problem is that they don't make animals as definitively different as cartridges within the same caliber, so that there can never be a separation of these cartridge with this one will kill this animal and this one won't.

That's why comparing cartridges can only be separated by different bullets used and different ranges of application.

BUT, and there is always a BUT, if the same bullet is used in each cartridge, something universally respected such as the 160gn Accubond, there is no appreciable difference between any of them if the bullet is placed in the same spot.

Something else I learned culling, the more cartridges you use, the more similar the performance over a number of animals. When they all work, it negates most arguments.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
on the competition side the 7 SAUM, and the 7 PRCW (6.5 PRC expanded to 7 mm) are all good…

The 7 PRC is a LONG dog compared the the 7 PRCW.

The hitch with many of the short mags is the brass is so thick the necks don’t seal well unless you neck turn, and keep it annealled

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/16/24.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

This should be interesting. I like that they're going to test the best factory options at 100 and 600 yds as well as all the handloading stuff. I wonder how they'll address pressure differences in the handloading part. This guy seems very knowledgeable but, he's definitely got opinions. How he handles the testing will be make or break. Super smart idea for his company though - tap into all the angst over these questions and personal feelings. If done methodically and fairly, it'll be great and sell some rifles, too I bet!

As he said, mag box length/handloading is huge comparing these cartridges. On a side note that might interest a couple of you, I'm packing up my 7PRC CLR to go back to Outkast for a re-paint. You learn alot about yourself with a custom build if you're open to it and, I've had to admit to myself that I'm just not man enough for a brash paint job on a rifle stock! frown God bless you guys who are and can handle the sideways looks from your hunting buddies when you uncase those tawdry shootin irons. Anyway, I emailed Glenn to let him know it was on the way and asked him about lengthening the mag box. He told me he had just finished a fixture to make that a standard option on his CLR jobs - milling the mag box well and ejection port and installing a Rem 3.7 mag box. Those guys are killing it. So, that's on the work order. When I get around to handloading for this thing or rebarrel it for the Mashburn I'll be all set! laugh

Unless they have pressure testing equipment I have to wonder if the testing will really be fair. Brands of cases can vary in softness or hardness and that can skew results to a fairly large degree.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
#1. He is not picking one cartridge over another

#2. To keep things equal, he has chosen the 160 CX because he feels like it is a quality hunting bullet with a good BC capable of killing Elk cleanly and humanly to 600 yards. I had the 175 ELD X blow up on an Elk (7 PRC) ant 247 yards. Through another video he does not recommend them for Elk. I will never use another one for hunting!

#3. He is using an 8 twist 26” barrel for all. We don’t care what your 7 mag barrel will do.

#4. He wants to dispel any myths and wants to present facts about each cartridge including the bullschit 3K fps of the factory 175 ELDX 7 PRC. With my 26” Bartlein, I am getting 2880. I bought into that cool aid.

#5. He is not going to declare a winner. Just facts.

#6. It seems to me that when this subject turns up, a lot of folks say I have this or that and I am not interested in the PRC. Fine, but don’t knock someone for buying something new. New stuff is fun!

SL, No personal attack intended, but these minutia topics are funny when you understand that a plain old every day Model 70 Featherweight with a boring 10" twist in a heaven forbid, shortish 22" barrel can comfortably send a 175gn Barnes LRX at over 2800fps and do anything any cartridge a week either side of it can do.

The only surprise is that no gunsmith has named his company "Minutia Barrels", "When the littlest things matter".

Carry on......

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Unless they have pressure testing equipment I have to wonder if the testing will really be fair. Brands of cases can vary in softness or hardness and that can skew results to a fairly large degree.

Yes....its a good entertaining story, but without all the real data, its a lot of guessing going on..

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Last I tested the 7mm Rem mag with 175 grain Partitions, 3000 fps measured in the mid 70,000 psi range. With a 27 inch Lilja 1x9 twist barrel.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Last I tested the 7mm Rem mag with 175 grain Partitions, 3000 fps measured in the mid 70,000 psi range. With a 27 inch Lilja 1x9 twist barrel.

Blasphemer! grin

What they really need to do is bring you and your pressure equipment into the test, Charlie. That'd be worth the time.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Folks can buy their own equipment for less than some scopes cost !!!! But they wont do that. It's a lot of work learning how to use it. And a lot of time.
Charlie

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And some problems will likely go away. No money in that !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes....its a good entertaining story, but without all the real data, its a lot of guessing going on..

Well said...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And some problems will likely go away. No money in that !

And, no fun on the 24hourargument.com! crazy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob

You may think the long actions and belts are superfluous, and that's everyone's choice. For myself, I think the PRC is a marketing gimmick to sell more rifles and ammo. It does nothing for me as a reloader because I can load any bullet I want and match or beat it in velocity and accuracy. Gotta love choices and maybe for the majority of hunters that shoot nothing but factory ammo it may have an advantage for now. But as more gun makers put 8 twist tubes on their 7mm Rem mags that could very well change.

The guys that biotch about the belt affecting feeding, need to get a different rifle. I have never seen or had issues with rifles chambered for belted magnums. And that even includes the Ruger m77. The pre 64 and classic model 70's feed those belted magnums with ease too. You buy or put together a piece of schidt, I guess you could have problems.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,517
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.