-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much a NothingBowl in my mind. No matter what anyone says about any team, until teams go head to head in a playoff format, no one really knows who is the "best" team at the end of the season. Might as well be a fantasy league.

Amazing, ain't it, that every other division of college football can come up with a viable playoff system that doesn't hurt their players' academic standing and produces an actual Champion -- while the Big Boys can't seem to figure it out. Hmmm...wonder what's driving that? Used to think it was the money from the bowls, but I've decided it's intellectual cowardice. They don't want to take the risk of having a highly favored team get its tail kicked by a 12th seed in the "championship".

But true competition is the only way anyone will ever be the actual champion of college football...until then it's all just as real as TV wrestling.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is Monday's Game rally for the national championship?

No, as far as the two "best" teams. Might as well draw two names out of a hat among the top dozen or so teams.

Yes. BCS drew two names out of a hat and says the winner is national champ so they will be.

Hope it is at least an interesting game to watch. Don't know either team well but suspect that LSU will hammer Ohio.

I recall sitting by an astute football coach at a high school state championship game who turned to me at half time and said, "We're not watching the two best teams in the state but the two luckiest." So also tonight. I've no brief for any other team to be national champion, and all of the contenders threw away their chance to lock a claim.

I don't like USC nor their coach and relished their loss to Standford (?), but any team playing tonight is fortunate they aren't playing USC.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Penguin
No, I don't believe it is.

But i don't think a March Madness type football playoff would crown one either. That would produce a tournament champion, true. But the purpose of a tournament is not to produce the best team at the end of the line. It is to make more money for the people who benefit from having a tournament. If we truly wanted to find out who was the best team we would probably be better off to scrap both the BCS AND any idea of a playoff. Which, btw, would be littered with also rans, one game wonders, and season ending injuries which would hamper getting the best team out of the pipeline at the end of play.

We just do not have the inter-conference play needed to seed teams accurately. So how would we get a champion?

Go back to the old bowl alignments. Play them all by midnight on New Year's day. That should leave you with 3 candidates, the Rose bowl, the Sugar Bowl, and the Orange bowl winners. Pick the best two the next morning and play a week later.

You would maintain the relevance of the bowl games AND be able to make a much better stab at who are the best two teams.

Will

Will - excellent post. I agree with you 100% up until your proposal for a two-team play-off following the bowls. Part of this is due to my deep-seated belief that we do not need a NATIONAL CHAMPION and part is due to the fact that there would be just as much bitching and whining about who got left out of the 2-team play-off as there would be with any other system. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it was made on the assumption that ~had~ to crown a champion. :p

I'm not sure it adds anything to the game either. But some people are going to bitch and whine until they get something changed. If we were going to do it, I would prefer doing it this way to any other I have seen.

A lot of people don't know what the Rose Bowl meant to those of us who attended Big Ten and Pac-10 schools. The Rose Bowl was special because we knew that if the conference was won we would be facing the winner of the Pac-10 and vice versa. 50 years of history thrown out the window. If one of the two conference champs isn't playing in the NC title game then the Rose Bowl is hosting the game itself and the two teams aren't Big Ten/Pac-10 teams.

After the Rose Bowl they can do what they want. But I want it to be rescued from these people who are willing to trample tradition in a crazy attempt to ~better~ the game.... the same people who gave us morbidly obese offensive linemen and the West Coast offense.

~shudders~

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sure it is. And French figure skating judges only have pure motives, no one in football does steroids, rehabilitating felons works most of the time, Hillary knows what's best for me and there is a deffinate difference between the 270 and 280.
It will be entertaining but if it is the 2 best teams in the nation I'll be shocked. Gianni

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
no, i don't think the game represents a true national champ because the bcs system won't allow it. look at tv. almost no one has mentioned the upcoming game as evidenced by espn over the last 7 days - i think they mention the upcoming game 1 or 2 times per day. seems to me the only folks who actually care are die-hard lsu/osu supporters, which is fine and dandy, but you don't see or hear of other college team supporters talking about their favorite between lsu/osu. thus we see little or no interest around the country. i am pulling for lsu.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

why did they jump over Va. Tech? Well, d'uh, because they'd already beaten Va Tech 48-7 in the first game of the season.
Second game of the season.....just saying. smile

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My bad, forgot Miss State.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Steve....When are you and the clan getting on your game gear and be off for some tail-gating?

Enjoy yourself, my friend.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

mickey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hotsoup
no, i don't think the game represents a true national champ because the bcs system won't allow it. look at tv. almost no one has mentioned the upcoming game as evidenced by espn over the last 7 days - i think they mention the upcoming game 1 or 2 times per day. seems to me the only folks who actually care are die-hard lsu/osu supporters, which is fine and dandy, but you don't see or hear of other college team supporters talking about their favorite between lsu/osu. thus we see little or no interest around the country. i am pulling for lsu.

Don't you think this is a result of delaying the game from the New Years Day position where it should be to a week later? After the New Years college blitz we go to the NFL Playoffs and then the NCG. People don't care about college football anymore.

Originally Posted by Penguin

A lot of people don't know what the Rose Bowl meant to those of us who attended Big Ten and Pac-10 schools. The Rose Bowl was special because we knew that if the conference was won we would be facing the winner of the Pac-10 and vice versa. 50 years of history thrown out the window. If one of the two conference champs isn't playing in the NC title game then the Rose Bowl is hosting the game itself and the two teams aren't Big Ten/Pac-10 teams.

Right on. grin

To a Pac10/Big10 player or fan the Rose Bowl is more important than a BCS Championship. The BCS National Champion is for those guys who can't play in the Rose Bowl. Like when Washington won the Orange Bowl and the National Championship even though they couldn't play in the Rose Bowl that year because of a a PAC 10 loss.

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Thats because of ESPN and their love fest with USC. If it was USC vs Notre Dame they would have been talking about it 24/7 for the last month.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
Steve....When are you and the clan getting on your game gear and be off for some tail-gating?

Enjoy yourself, my friend.

Grace has purple hair and one side of her face and body painted purple, and made two big signs to bring in. Jack is about to paint his hair. I'm ready to go, wife is putting on the finishing touches.

Scene downtown was already getting crazy when I left the office an hour and a half ago. Have to fight our way back to my building to park, then we're going down to the quarter to walk around and watch the silliness.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Jealousy doesn't even begin to describe it!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yip, it sure is.

Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character. (Winston Wolf - Pulp Fiction)
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My parents are somewhere down there walking around the quarter. Wishing I had taken off today to go party. I'm about to call it a day at work and go start the pre game prep. Turky's going in the fryer at 5:30!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will state that OSU is lucky to be in the NC game, but there is no argument that holds water that says that they shouldn't be. They are the number one team in the nation thru the regular season. All other teams (save Hawaii, but we now know how that one turned out) are less deserving than OSU. True, they lost to a decent IL team. IL played their game of the season that week and OSU played terribly. IL won. That was their only bad week. All other teams had at least two bad weeks (other than noted Hawaii amd Kansas, but Kansas lost to the only good team that they had played all year). You can say what you want about SOS, but wins over Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan were not a given. These teams were good, solid teams. Maybe not championship level teams, but they were solid.

All other teams have no one else to blame than themselves. This year, unlike in other years, an undeafeated regular seaosn in a major conference would have been enough to put them into the title game.

I would say the two most deserving teams are playing tonight. Would USC beat one or both, would WVU, would Mizzou? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. They didn't get shiit done when it needed to be done. When the chips were down, they folded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steve,
Ark beat LSU @ LSU...just saying.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
National Champion?
Yes, I believe so.
We need and end to this season somewhere and these two teams are certainly the most deserving to be in the final game.

Let it end tonight.

Phil
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Two503000
National Champion?

Let it end tonight.

That, I can assure you, won't happen.

Musk-Burger has his John Booty Trojan cap on, just awaiting a closely contested game.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 76 invisible), 14,634 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,072
Posts18,541,350
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.