Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I could maybe do that area just to fish for billfish once.

Have zero desire other than that. Lifes a mountain. Not a beach.

Mexico is like S Florida, the only reason it exists is for fishing.

Hard to beat Cabo for striped marlin. Short ride to the Golden Gate Bank and a shot at dorado and billfish nearly year ‘round.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can’t believe you survived. Definitely took your life in your hands going there.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve been a few times. It was better when I was younger and single.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Irving_D
If anyone wants a change of pace I will happily be a tour guide for Panama

Tell me about Panama, please. I would like to know more. I was there a couple of years ago, but spent most of my time inland on a service project. What little I saw of Panama City and the beaches looked pretty good - and so did the Panamanian women.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Tulum had a Maya pyramid, about 90 feet high right on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. About a dozen of us gringos would sneak in at midnight, and climb up the steep side, sit up at the top of the pyramid, drinking beer, and looking down at the bottom of the sea in the moonlight, you could see the bottom 200 yards out with that clear water.

Fantastic! Our US indians never built anything close as spectacular. And you could drive several hours up to Chichen Itza, one of the most spectacular pyramids in the world. I climbed the Chichen Itza pyramid four times and it is really high.

Some fantastic stuff to see down there, alas, I won't be going back.

Can't climb most of the Mayan pyramids anymore. I've climbed many of them multiple times, including Nohoch Mul in Coba. If you were in Tulum, you were very close. Too bad you didn't get to climb that one. It's the highest Mayan pyramid built in the Yucatan. They just dug the jungle off of one side a few decades ago. I've got pics of me on top of most of them in the Yucatan, but the pic from the top of Nohoch Mul is by far the coolest pic. Hundreds of miles of jungle in the background. You've been to some cool places down there, Simon. Most people will never see this stuff.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by rost495
I could maybe do that area just to fish for billfish once.

Have zero desire other than that. Lifes a mountain. Not a beach.

While you always “have a shot” at catching a billfish in Mexico after several long boat rides that never raised a billfish but did catch dorado, rooster fish and ono I would say to save your money and chase billfish somewhere else. I’m currently in the research phase for a trip next year to anywhere in the South Pacific that has a lot of fish and little pressure. I want to tie into some big billfish but I’m hoping to tag and release but I know that in depressed economies the locals will want to keep it and I’m ok with that if it’s going to feed the locals. I just don’t have any desire to kill big fish if I can help it, unfortunately sometimes the bigger fish don’t make it after the fight.

I think we spent as much time cutting illegal longlines that stretched for literally miles than we spent on the troll. Those longlines were absolutely awful and totally indiscriminate killers. I saw everything from sea turtles to birds and all kinds of fish that were dead on the hook. I’ve read about illegal longlines in National Geographic and other fishing publications since I was a kid but the first time I saw them for myself I was shocked and incensed. The Mexican “police” are sure concerned about whether the gringo has his fishing license but those retards turn a blind eye to the devastation and destruction the longlines cause. I’ve encountered longlines while fishing everywhere in Mexico from Mazatlan to Puerta Nuevo/Puerta Vallerta they were everywhere….actually I don’t recall seeing them around Cabo but in Cabo I always fish inshore from a Panga after I realized that fishery is not fished as hard as billfish and in a 4 hour trip I was literally tired of fighting fish and after 4 hours of fishing under the Mexican sun this PNW boy was ready for the shade. I think in roughly 3 hours of lines in the water I landed 5 roosters, 7 yellowtail and 2 yellowfins. I lost a few more but that was some really good fishing.

I won’t say never but I don’t plan on going back to Mexico again. I’ve been all over enough to have scratched that itch and my fishing focus is elsewhere now.

Aces, agree on almost all of what you stated. Thankfully, I'm a FL boy, so the heat was endurable. But, I will tell you that it is still much hotter there than here. It's right on the equator, and that makes for a whole different kind of heat. Although, the Yucatan is a great place for sailfish, most other billfish aren't that prolific. Cabo is a much better choice for say marlin, tuna, roosters etc. Never popped a marlin in Cabo (man, I've tried), but have absolutely hammered the tuna. The people at my resort soon learned to love me. I prepared huge amounts of sushi and grilled fish and gave it away at the pool every sunset.

And yeah, MX police suck. I could tell stories for the next hour about run-ins with their crooked asses. And trust me, They're ALL f'n crooks and thieves. At least the ones I had contact with. I've had them fugk with me at 3 am fishing off a jetty (with a big fish on the line!), telling me I'm "trespassing", trying to shake me down for a bribe.

Like you, my window for Mexico has passed. Too much indiscriminate crime now and ripoff aszholes. Multiple times having to tell a ripoff aszhole he was about to be picking his chiclets off the ground. Over the years, these aszholes got more and more aggressive. I can fish for most of the same or similar fish right here in FL or the rest of our country. Right now, one of my holy grails is to fish some mountain lakes or streams out west. As far as travel outside our country goes, I'm much more enamored with Europe. The history alone is enough to have sucked me in. But, when you add the food and culture, I'm hopeless. Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've done a couple tours in Mexico and I'm through as well. I like Costa Rica much better anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mexico in the 80's was heaven on toast. I would have moved there in my late 20's but I discovered Belize where they had British law and spoke english. Took me 26 years to come back home! I could write a book on the fun and adventures. Just waiting for a few mor to die so I can write it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
local dirt: They won't let you climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza? Damn, that's a shame.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
local dirt: They won't let you climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza? Damn, that's a shame.

No. Not any more. At least that's the way it was last time I was there. They said somebody fell down and died. Who knows if that's true or not.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
What do a pallet of bricks and a fat chick have in common?

\\

\\

\\

\\

\\

Wait for it......

\\

\\

\\

\\

\\

Sooner or later, they're both gonna get laid by a Mexican. shocked grin

Yeah.................... OK.

I was gonna say that you can eat a pallet of bricks if you HAVE to.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt

No. Not any more. At least that's the way it was last time I was there. They said somebody fell down and died. Who knows if that's true or not.

It is very steep. If you tripped and fell it would be a very bad day.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Drunks fell off and died. It was easy to climb but a little steep coming down....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad

Drunks fell off and died. It was easy to climb but a little steep coming down....

Interesting story (at least for me):

One time when I was there (Chichen Itza) back when you could still climb it, there was an older gentleman running up and down the steps, back and forth, back and forth. I think he was a marathoner or long distance runner of some sort. He certainly looked the part.

I always thought the view from the top of the Tulum ruins was really cool, looking out at the ocean. I used to rent a 2br2ba house from an American couple from Colorado just north of Tulum until they sold it. Perfect spot.

Acccording to stories about Tulum, there were 2 lamps set on either side of the opening in the reef to guide mariners in to the city at Tulum.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/20/24.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
Well, flew in and out of there, overnighting on way back. You can keep it. Humid. crowded, just plain nasty. (I wuz coerced)

We were actually on an island just off shore for a few days. Mujera or some such. Good weather (constant breeze), nice swimming beach, good food, good people - just too damned many of them. That's all the good I can say about it, but then I have attitude...

Our fellow travel couple arrainged - 6 weeks earlier- for a gas golf cart to get around- island is narrow, but about 4 miles long- all of it built up. All the good carts were already reserved so we ended up with a junker. Good thing no one smoked, or we'd have gone up like the Hindenburg. Ours was not the only one. Betwen the fumes- gas and exhaust - and the noise, I had a low grade headache much of the time we were there.

I took my darkest glasses for wimmin ogling, so they couldn't track my eyes. More useful for the bright sunshine - as only about 5% were worth the effort of moving the eyeballs.

LBP would have been in Hog Heaven.

Yeah, I set the whole post up for that line. smile

BTW, if you didn't go sailfishing north of Isla Mujeres, you missed one of the hottest spots for sails in the world.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is a cenote at Chichen Itza. A freshwater spring, a round hole in the ground 150 feet across. The water is 50 feet below, and is 40 feet deep. Archaeologists have found jewelry from a Maya girl who was 12 years old, along with her bones.
Things got rough in Maya Land, 800 BC, maybe a drought, they dressed up a 12 year old Princess and decked her with fine turquoise and silver jewelry, and shoved her into the cenote.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a cenote at Chichen Itza. A freshwater spring, a round hole in the ground 150 feet across. The water is 50 feet below, and is 40 feet deep. Archaeologists have found jewelry from a Maya girl who was 12 years old, along with her bones.
Things got rough in Maya Land, 800 BC, maybe a drought, they dressed up a 12 year old Princess and decked her with fine turquoise and silver jewelry, and shoved her into the cenote.

Well, I bet THAT fixed the situation, right quick.........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just did a couple weeks in Ambergres key Belize. Pretty much like México, but no cartel crap, at least on the island. Diving was meh, but at 80 every day, and 80 degree water I’m not complaining compared to MT in February. I ate a lot of local chow, never got sick, but I did keep my blood alcohol level up to fight off any bugs just in case.

Oh, and they have croc’s there. Some crocs are over 12’, we had a few big ones in the lagoon next to our condo. I thought when they said crocs they meant caiman, nope.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Norm, there are big crocs all over MX. Almost every place I've ever been in the Yucatan where there was water, there were crocs... Including salt water crocs where I used to wade fish for permit, bonefish, snook and tarpon on the flats around the inside and outside of the Boca Paila bridge. They never bothered me, though. They stayed up around and in the mangroves, and I stayed out on the flats. I thought that was a great arrangement.

10-12' is not abnormal. Some of the biggest I ever saw were right behind the restaurants that back up to the lagoon on the hotel strip in Cancun. Those are some big ones there. They swim over from the islands inside the lagoon at night because the restaurant cooks throw them munchies for entertainment when business slows and/or they're bored. The women with me weren't impressed. 😂

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
LocalD….I appreciate your input since while I’ve fished Mexico maybe 8 or 10 times I’m far FAR from being in the loop on quality blue water fishing in Mexico. I know that being on the equator or in equatorial waters is different from anything I’ve encountered yet. Like you said I expect heat and little to no breeze but if the fishing is good then I’ll suffer through. 😀

I’m not predisposed to hot weather and humidity and while I might feel like I’m melting faster than Frosty in Hades I’m willing to suffer for the sake of the adventure. I’m looking forward to working on my tropical tolerance level…..it’s tough work but if the best I can do is to complain about being in an area that has such beautiful surroundings then I don’t deserve the privilege of traveling as much as I do. As I’ve gotten older I realize how fortunate I am in so many ways and that tempers the old ass hole attitude I might’ve had when I was young and dumb. I’m now thankful for every opportunity I get to do the things I once dreamed about…..well..except for Mexico…I had that friggin’ place and not for the scenery. 😉

All my best to you!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,643
Posts18,512,351
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.