Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Raeford
Necessary Permits??
Yes,

Minnesota requires a permit to purchase an AR.
When is the law suit? Cuz that's unconstitutional.

You can't charge a fee for exercising a Right.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
It's whatever they decide it is. Welcome to the New Amerika.

Hint.
That sums it up accurately & concisely. Mostly depends on your political party registration.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM
No.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Raeford
Necessary Permits??
Yes,

Minnesota requires a permit to purchase an AR.
When is the law suit? Cuz that's unconstitutional.

You can't charge a fee for exercising a Right.

IIRC - the "permit" is a one time background check for free.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ldholton
I would not think so. the procedure for buying a gun for a gift to follow proper government protocol is the receiver of the gift must fill 4473 and I'm not sure it makes any difference who pays for it. at least that's what I've been told and what we've actually done in buying a gift for someone but we did pay with cash not a credit card..

pretty much the same way with raffles I've been involved with giving away a gun somebody that's running the raffle you could say or a member of a fire board or FFA group whatever generally buys the gun so everybody can see what they may win and then the winner has to go back to the FFL dealer and fill out the yellow sheet to take possession of the gun.
at least that's how it's always been done and things I've been involved in.
Not true, by federal law.

Once you legally take possession of a firearm. You may GIFT it to any non prohibited person or resell it. By federal law. I would not dream of guessing what restrictions the communist states have added to that.

It becomes a straw purchase when you use another's funds to purchase a gun he/she would be prohibited to purchase, to put it simply.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
NO! It’s for you, you are ordering it and you are doing the paperwork which is all the ATF cares about. I asked the same question years back and the ATF chick said and I quote, “the ATF doesn’t care if you give the guns away for free, only that the paperwork and NICS check is done properly”.

Straw purchase is one that seeks to hide who the end user is through having a non-prohibited person doing the paperwork only to give it to a prohibited person upon getting a proceed. Gifting a firearm to a non-prohibited person is ok according to the ATF. Having your friend, son, spouse, etc buy you a firearm but you doing the paperwork and NICS check since you are the one that will own it is perfectly legal.

Did that 3 times for gift to my wife she did the background and I paid with my CC no questions asked. And no it was not a straw purchase.

Last edited by Riverc; 02/19/24.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Simply put....NO

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Troll bait

No schit

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
NO! It’s for you, you are ordering it and you are doing the paperwork which is all the ATF cares about. I asked the same question years back and the ATF chick said and I quote, “the ATF doesn’t care if you give the guns away for free, only that the paperwork and NICS check is done properly”.

Straw purchase is one that seeks to hide who the end user is through having a non-prohibited person doing the paperwork only to give it to a prohibited person upon getting a proceed. Gifting a firearm to a non-prohibited person is ok according to the ATF. Having your friend, son, spouse, etc buy you a firearm but you doing the paperwork and NICS check since you are the one that will own it is perfectly legal.
Thanks

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I tried to pay for a rifle for a friend as a gift. We went to Cabelas, where I have bought several guns. He picked out a rifle and I pulled out my card saying it was on me. Guy behind the counter yelled “that’s a straw purchase!” and brought the manager over. I offered to do a background check as well. I even offered to buy his gun and one for myself, and they refused. Told us to leave.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Troll bait

Steevie gets a bit too cughnty, takes some heat and then switches to gee golly shucks threads.

It's his only defense....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A straw purchase and a scared store policy are not the same thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I tried to pay for a rifle for a friend as a gift. We went to Cabelas, where I have bought several guns. He picked out a rifle and I pulled out my card saying it was on me. Guy behind the counter yelled “that’s a straw purchase!” and brought the manager over. I offered to do a background check as well. I even offered to buy his gun and one for myself, and they refused. Told us to leave.
What state was that in? Here in Louisiana no problem at Academy Sports or Herberts gun shop.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I witnessed what I believe was a real 'Straw Purchase" of a hand gun happening at a local pawn shop. Young "ethnic" teen age male had brought an elderly man (also ethnic and clearly a chronic wino) in order to purchase a semi-auto hand gun for him. When the store clerk asked the elderly man which hand gun among the several displayed inside glass case the elderly man looked to the young guy who brought him for a prompt as to which gun he wanted. The young guy then subtly tried to half-way point at the specific gun he wanted.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Riverc
What state was that in? Here in Louisiana no problem at Academy Sports or Herberts gun shop.

Washington

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when Toad got that bad guy to get him a bottle of "Old Harper"... was that a "Straw Robbery" ???... good "Heads Up" catch anyway...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would say your fine. It’s not a straw purchase . You are buying it for yourself. Will be in your possession.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bout a dozen yrs back, my brother and i stopped at Gander Mountain... i was checking out the used rack when my bro yells from the gun counter "get over here"... there was a new Model 70 Super Grade 30-06 with a stock that belonged on a Magazine cover... i had all but given up ever finding one like that, had to have it... i only had $600 or so on me, so my bro sez i'l cover the rest... pissy jackoff behind the counter says "No Way, ain't you ever heard of a Straw Purchase!"... baffled, i said we'll both do a background check if need be... he got all the pissier!... so i said i don't want it and left the store... bro stayed behind and made the purchase with his CC.. last dime we ever spent at Gander...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several points in error in different posts: first, a straw purchase has nothing to do with the legality of the eventual owner. This was proven by the Glock purchased by a nephew/uncle relationship trying to get a LEO discount. Both could pass the background check but one bought the gun for the other using money given to him for the purchase. Felonies for both..

Anybody can gift anybody a firearm and the giver cannot run a background without an FFL so the onus of proving someone is eligible is not on the giver...

Very well put!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A straw purchase and a scared store policy are not the same thing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
How do you interpret: are you the actual purchaser?

I wouldn’t become a case law study, but that’s just me. That and you got to remember you life in MN.

Now I’ll throw this out there. The GF applied for a Sportsman’s warehouse credit card and received it..
We were in the checkout and she asked the clerk about if he (me) bought a gun, could he use her card so that she could get the points or whatever.

They basically frowned upon that idea. Weather or not that was store policy or it was the clerk, idk, but error on the side of caution.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.