-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BATFE. ATF was when the Clinton Crime Machine wanted to make the clowns a major tool for Marxist Oppression. As in destroy the constitution starting with the Bill of Rights.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I would not think so. the procedure for buying a gun for a gift to follow proper government protocol is the receiver of the gift must fill 4473 and I'm not sure it makes any difference who pays for it. at least that's what I've been told and what we've actually done in buying a gift for someone but we did pay with cash not a credit card..

pretty much the same way with raffles I've been involved with giving away a gun somebody that's running the raffle you could say or a member of a fire board or FFA group whatever generally buys the gun so everybody can see what they may win and then the winner has to go back to the FFL dealer and fill out the yellow sheet to take possession of the gun.
at least that's how it's always been done and things I've been involved in.
Not true, by federal law.

Once you legally take possession of a firearm. You may GIFT it to any non prohibited person or resell it. By federal law. I would not dream of guessing what restrictions the communist states have added to that.

It becomes a straw purchase when you use another's funds to purchase a gun he/she would be prohibited to purchase, to put it simply.
what parts not true?..
that is the exact reason like a raffle winner has to go to the FFL to pick up the gun to run a background check to make sure they are not prohibited by the way that covers a raffle committee's ass that they did not award a gun to somebody that was prohibited.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Troll bait

Steevie gets a bit too cughnty, takes some heat and then switches to gee golly shucks threads.

It's his only defense....

ROFLMAO...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Troll bait

Steevie gets a bit too cughnty, takes some heat and then switches to gee golly shucks threads.

It's his only defense....

ROFLMAO...

Damn... You Montana boys is alright.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I thought you knew EVERYTHING ?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Several points in error in different posts: first, a straw purchase has nothing to do with the legality of the eventual owner. This was proven by the Glock purchased by a nephew/uncle relationship trying to get a LEO discount. Both could pass the background check but one bought the gun for the other using money given to him for the purchase. Felonies for both..

Anybody can gift anybody a firearm and the giver cannot run a background without an FFL so the onus of proving someone is eligible is not on the giver...

Very well put!'
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A straw purchase and a scared store policy are not the same thing.
Oh, i get it now!... if a friend or relative gives you cash within eyesight of the salesman, that's a Felony!... but if they gave you cash in private or you found it lying on the men's room floor, that's Fine!... LOL

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I tried to pay for a rifle for a friend as a gift. We went to Cabelas, where I have bought several guns. He picked out a rifle and I pulled out my card saying it was on me. Guy behind the counter yelled “that’s a straw purchase!” and brought the manager over. I offered to do a background check as well. I even offered to buy his gun and one for myself, and they refused. Told us to leave.

Had the same thing happen. It was a mom and pop shop and daddy was trying to retire. Dad was a good guy but he put jr in charge who, being handed the shop and not having to work for it, was a cocky little guy who yelled “straw purchase” as I was trying to pay for a buddies Marlin 45-70 and then grabbed me by the arm. My friend grabbed him by the shirt collar and pulled him across the counter before he knew what happened. We laid the rifle against the counter and walked away before sheit went any further.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I would not think so. the procedure for buying a gun for a gift to follow proper government protocol is the receiver of the gift must fill 4473 and I'm not sure it makes any difference who pays for it. at least that's what I've been told and what we've actually done in buying a gift for someone but we did pay with cash not a credit card..

pretty much the same way with raffles I've been involved with giving away a gun somebody that's running the raffle you could say or a member of a fire board or FFA group whatever generally buys the gun so everybody can see what they may win and then the winner has to go back to the FFL dealer and fill out the yellow sheet to take possession of the gun.
at least that's how it's always been done and things I've been involved in.
Not true, by federal law.

Once you legally take possession of a firearm. You may GIFT it to any non prohibited person or resell it. By federal law. I would not dream of guessing what restrictions the communist states have added to that.

It becomes a straw purchase when you use another's funds to purchase a gun he/she would be prohibited to purchase, to put it simply.
what parts not true?..
that is the exact reason like a raffle winner has to go to the FFL to pick up the gun to run a background check to make sure they are not prohibited by the way that covers a raffle committee's ass that they did not award a gun to somebody that was prohibited.

This is the part that is not true. [quote]The procedure for buying a gun for a gift to follow proper government protocol is the receiver of the gift must fill 4473.

It is perfectly legal, by federal law, for me to purchase any firearm and then gift it or sell it afterward. I have taken my grandkids to the gun store on three separate occasions and bougt guns for them. And I have purchased a rifle because it was an extraordinary deal, then subsequently passed that deal on to a friend for his son. And there was a Wea Vangaurd deluxe in 243. I brought it home, set it up with a Leopold VX2 3-9x40 in Tally lw mounts. Then I sighted it in, and loaded 100 rounds with 95 gr ballistic tips, then left it all at my Dentist's office in exchange for a molar crown. (note: in case of grand kids, their parents take responsibility and actual possession of the firearm until the child's 18'th birthday, or until the parent decides the child exhibits the maturity level to take the gun, whichever comes last.)

In every case I was the actual recipient of the gun. I did the 4473, and it was entirely legal.

Now, what they do in the case of a raffle or other promotional exchange, I do not know. I have never been involved in any such exchange. But, it is well known that many people and businesses take precautions that go far beyond the requirements of the law. And many states impose registration requirement far beyond anything presently required by the feds.

My state is not one of those.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Several points in error in different posts: first, a straw purchase has nothing to do with the legality of the eventual owner. This was proven by the Glock purchased by a nephew/uncle relationship trying to get a LEO discount. Both could pass the background check but one bought the gun for the other using money given to him for the purchase. Felonies for both..

Anybody can gift anybody a firearm and the giver cannot run a background without an FFL so the onus of proving someone is eligible is not on the giver...

Very well put!'
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A straw purchase and a scared store policy are not the same thing.
Oh, i get it now!... if a friend or relative gives you cash within eyesight of the salesman, that's a Felony!... but if they gave you cash in private or you found it lying on the men's room floor, that's Fine!... LOL
No, actually not... the infamous Uncle-Glock nightmare was not seen, just proven after the fact.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't need no stinking permit

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is at Bass Pro or Cabelas. The CC you pay with must have your name on it, not your wife's or anyone elses

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
No, actually not... the infamous Uncle-Glock nightmare was not seen, just proven after the fact.

Was there not something about nephew/cop being investigated for bank robbery when the feds discovered a check from Uncle which predated the purchase of the Glock?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by moosemike
It is at Bass Pro or Cabelas. The CC you pay with must have your name on it, not your wife's or anyone elses

Bass Pro/Cabelas is pretty over the top in regards to firearms transfers the last few years. Since ATF has started yanking FFLs for uncrossed "t"s and undotted "i"s. As are many national retailers of firearms.

My last two purchases from Cabelas were PIAs. It took about forty five minutes to get three different people to review and approve my 4473, while the NICS from Idaho took a whole five minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Was there not something about nephew/cop being investigated for bank robbery when the feds discovered a check from Uncle which predated the purchase of the Glock?
Not that I recall...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
For those interested, this is the case. Though I do not yet find cause for the initial investigation where the suspect check was found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramski_v._United_States

Ah, here it is. Discussion of the bank robbery investigation, which was grounds for search where evidence of straw purchase was discovered. This information is quite a ways down in the article. It will not let me c/p.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2014/01/argument-preview-checking-up-on-gun-buyers/

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 02/20/24.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The length of the supposed "answers" is all the proof one needs to prove the gun lobby is its own worst enemy.
There is one correct answer to the OP's query. Two letters.

NO.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For those interested, this is the case. Though I do not yet find cause for the initial investigation where the suspect check was found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramski_v._United_States

Ah, here it is. Discussion of the bank robbery investigation, which was grounds for search where evidence of straw purchase was discovered. This information is quite a ways down in the article. It will not let me c/p.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2014/01/argument-preview-checking-up-on-gun-buyers/
Thank you! I do not have time to read it right now, but will.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
No lawyer here...but I would say NO...it is not a straw purchase.

However, it may be a straw purchase for your son. I have ordered firearms online before. The item is sent to the person who purchases it. If your son purhcases it - and you do the paperwork - it may draw flags - because the name of the person who purchased it is different from the name of the person who fills out the ATF form and takes possession of it.

Given that you have to have a permit to purchase an AR in your state - I would be diligent NOT to draw attention to myself or my son.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Late to the party... If I were considering doing something that I thought may or MAY NOT be legit, last thing I would do is broadcast it on the Internet... JMO... YMMV...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS
Depends on who you support politically.

To a 2024 DC .gov ATF agent, if you are a Trump supporter, then you must be prosecuted. Even if the ATF loses, they would have created you enough aggravation, and cost you enough in legal costs, to make it worth it to them.
The process is the punishment.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.