Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The major was a writer for Outdoor Life, O'Connor took over that position. The Col. never forgave O'Connor.
I liked the Col. the world be be a lot better place today if we were able to follow his example.

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by trplem
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It may not have been the Major, but I seem to remember that he was on a troop ship when it was strafed and being on the receiving end of those 8mm bullets, he was impressed with their vicious impacts.

That was Al Miller. He recounted the story in Nosler #3 in his intro to the load data for the 8x57. Col Askins did write the intro to the 8 rem mag on the next page, though.

How on Earth could the Colonel believe that the 8mm Magnum had any merit when God Himself had dismissed its introduction with "What good is it?"?

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/20/24.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
5, probably for that reason!!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was at the 1970 NRA Convention in New Orleans, saw Elmer, JOC and the Col.

I was at the entrance of the Hilton, which was the NRA Headquarters, saw the Col leaving the hotel, walking towards the French Quarter, alone at night. My thought, don't think I'd want to do that. Had I been closer, I'd have warned him, but he was too far ahead and I wasn't gonna run after him.

After learning more about him, reading "Unrepentant Sinner", I think he was OK. If the ghetto thugs wanted to get him, I think he'd have had them windrowed, lined up for the NOPD to sort out and toe tag. Don't ya know he was packing.

The area between the Quarter and the Hilton was dark, wasn't a good place to be walking at night, especially alone, unless you were Col. Askins. In that case, it would be more than OK.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I read a lot of the colonel’s writings. It was a competitive field back then and Colonel Askins and Keith were both pretty much bitter sounding at times. I’d surely love to have that superposed O/U. Sadly Gary Chatham has dementia now but he was the head of the Browning Collectors Association for years and very knowledgeable.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If you check the SGW link, you’ll see photos of the Major as a very old man, apparently still with all his fingers.

So pictorial evidence is against the allegations in that article.

DF

I noticed that, too, when I read "My Old Man Was A Pistol" a few days ago.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lotech
Details are a bit fuzzy now, but I think Major Askins was the gun editor for Field and Stream for more than twenty years. He was succeeded by Jack O'Connor. There's a very good article written by Colonel Askins in an old GUN DIGEST about the Major and Son titled something like "My Pappy Was a Pistol".

Though Dubiel was mentioned in that article, no gun blow ups or accidents were, oddly enough.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Papag
A good man? An awful lot of print about a cold blooded killer, in the words of Ayoob and others. When one answers the question, "How many have you killed?" And he answers something like, "Twenty seven, not counting niqqers and Mexicans.". A good man?
Um.. different time and place possibly? I don't know. But people spoke differently then. speak differently now too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rainshot
I read a lot of the colonel’s writings. It was a competitive field back then and Colonel Askins and Keith were both pretty much bitter sounding at times. I’d surely love to have that superposed O/U. Sadly Gary Chatham has dementia now but he was the head of the Browning Collectors Association for years and very knowledgeable.
The guy who ended up custodian of that historical gun is a firearms collector and historian. He's a great writer and did an article for the Double Gun Journal. But, the DGJ closed shop.

I did get the Major's Ithaca double from Bill Askins to Walt Snyder who did a great article in the DGJ on that one. Bill offered me the gun, but I wanted it in the hands of someone who could do it justice, thus Walt.

Walt has written books on Ithaca's, has the New York Ithaca factory records. So, it was the right thing to do, getting that gun in his hands.

I'll get that DGJ issue and post, just don't have it at my finger tips.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rost495
A good man? An awful lot of print about a cold blooded killer, in the words of Ayoob and others. When one answers the question, "How many have you killed?" And he answers something like, "Twenty seven, not counting niqqers and Mexicans.". A good man?
Um.. different time and place possibly? I don't know. But people spoke differently then. speak differently now too.

He had been a Border Patrol officer. I suspect his take on the job isn't the same as what passes for such these days.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ranger99
" I came home one time and the Old Man had put
together a loading that was a mite too hot. The
rifle had blown up. He was in a state of shock, had
bits of metal in his face and hands and it was
plain that he'd lost considerable blood.
. . . . In an attempt to get some improved velocities
he had simply poured in too much DuPont #17 1/2
and the gun had parted at the seams. . . "

" It wasn't the first time he'd had a shooting iron
come to pieces. A year or two before he'd been
reloading for an old 10 gauge lever action pump
gun and the breechbolt did a double flip, the
receiver bulged and cracked, the stock split
and my Old Man suffered a concussion and
took the usual profusion of brass and steel
in his whiskers. "

Colonel Charles Askins Jr. Writing
about Major Askins Sr. from
Unrepentant Sinner

From "My Old Man" by Col. Charles Askins:

He called me late one night while I, was
away at school. He could not hear very
well; deafness grew on him with the years,
and ordinarily he could not be persuaded
to talk over the phone. I knew this call must
be important.

"I'm not feeling so good," he said. "I
think you had better come home." I drove
like a demon the rest of the night; got
there at four in the morning. He had blown
up a .276 wildcat which he and John Dubiel
had made up. His face was full of brass
and steel, and one hand was mangled. He
was in a' state of shock by that time, and
he had lost a lot of blood. My Old Man
,and Dubiel had tamped in a couple of hat-
fulls too much propellant and the .275 H&H
case in the old Mauser action had let go.

It wasn't the first time he'd had a shooting
iron come to pieces. A year or two before,
he'd been reloading for an old 10 gauge
lever-action repeater and the breechlock had
flipped ends. The receiver ~ bulged and
cracked, the stock split, and my Old Man
suffered a concussion and took the usual
profusion of brass and steel through his
whiskers.

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/G0461.pdf

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
The major was a writer for Outdoor Life, O'Connor took over that position. The Col. never forgave O'Connor.
I liked the Col. the world be be a lot better place today if we were able to follow his example.

Thank you for the correction on the magazine. I guess I should look up the article and re-read.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a picture of the Major, looks like in his old age, sitting on the running board of his Studebaker. He appears to have all his fingers.

BTW, the Superposed he's holding is the one I ended up with.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rost495

He had been a Border Patrol officer. I suspect his take on the job isn't the same as what passes for such these days.
No way.

The Col wasn't too P.C. In fact he'd have been canned for any number of the events he records. Even if only a percentage were true, would be way more than enough to can him in todays Border Patrol, maybe even put him in jail.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
The Major never had that kind of accident. He was a rough ol cobb, but very astute. He was a good hunter. He was a good soldier and good man. He was abrupt and did not suffer fools very well, ha. I never understood his affinity for the 8mm, but he loved them! He had no use for the 30-06 as I remember. He used the new 7mm Rem Mag on a Polar bear with the 175 Clkt factory load. ( it may have been some of that first batch, they were hot) anyhow, he said he didn't understand why Remington both the 150 and the 175, that "everyone knew the 7mm caliber balances with the 160". His words.

Correction: I was speaking of the "Col", Askins Jr. I don't know anything about the Major, his Dad. Sorry about that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Askins passed away in 1999, leaving a legacy few will ever match. Skeeter Skelton, a close friend of Askins, once said, “If Charley Askins had been born 100 years earlier, he would have been a mountain man, an Indian scout, a buffalo hunter, or a horse soldier. As it is, close to the end of the 20th century, he has lived the kind of life boys think they’re going to live and that most old men wish they had.”

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well since the Colonel is figuring so prominently in this thread I will say the two most interesting books ever penned by gunwriters are "The Unrepentant Sinner" and "Hell, I Was There" by Askins Jr and Keith. They lived amazing lives

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Askins passed away in 1999, leaving a legacy few will ever match. Skeeter Skelton, a close friend of Askins, once said, “If Charley Askins had been born 100 years earlier, he would have been a mountain man, an Indian scout, a buffalo hunter, or a horse soldier. As it is, close to the end of the 20th century, he has lived the kind of life boys think they’re going to live and that most old men wish they had.”
Skeeter was right, of course.

Back in the day of which he speaks, ole Charley would have been a hero. In our woke present, a pariah.

That was back when men were men, not some amorphous pronoun.

Charley lived at the twilight of that era, glad he doesn't have to witness what we have today.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well since the Colonel is figuring so prominently in this thread I will say the two most interesting books ever penned by gunwriters are "The Unrepentant Sinner" and "Hell, I Was There" by Askins Jr and Keith. They lived amazing lives
Neither one of them let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Skeeter was right, of course.

Back in the day of which he speaks, ole Charley would have been a hero. In our woke present, a pariah.

That was back when men were men, not some amorphous pronoun.

Charley lived at the twilight of that era, glad he doesn't have to witness what we have today.

DF

The dude was a murderer. The fewer of his types we have in the world, the better.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Askins Jr was a tuff man doing a tuff job.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,032
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.