Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Come on Mr Prairie Goat...none of are saying we want/would if we could, vote in the Col for our next Pastor, ha. He was just a man, and I probably should have said "as far as I know, he was a good man". ha In combat and in LE work, the "line" can get very "blurred" between "killing and murdering"...and I wasn't there. smile

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Come on Mr Prairie Goat...none of are saying we want/would if we could, vote in the Col for our next Pastor, ha. He was just a man, and I probably should have said "as far as I know, he was a good man". ha In combat and in LE work, the "line" can get very "blurred" between "killing and murdering"...and I wasn't there. smile
He's the kinda guy, if you were in a fox hole under fire, you'd want him watching your "6".

Now, I agree that he may not be an ideal candidate for "pastor" or counselor, but when bad guys were out to kill ya, it would be comforting to have the likes of ole Charley backing you.

So, not my job to judge; we all have an ultimate judge and I hope Charley was right with his maker when that time came.

In the mean time, I have enough to do judging myself, no time left or desire to judge him.

DF

Edited to add this: "Judge not that ye be not judged" (Matt 7:1) KJV

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/20/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's the kind of thinking that allows people to get away with war crimes. As I recall, the younger Askins was an admitted psychopath. Even by the standards of his day, he was not a good person.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My comments were regarding Junior. Never saw a negative thing in print about Senior.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Papag
My comments were regarding Junior. Never saw a negative thing in print about Senior.
And you won't.

They were different kinda guys.

Jr. loved his Dad, described his Mom as a "contentious Irish woman". Seems to me, Jr. must have taken more after his Mom than his Dad. Like they say, opposites attract.

Jr. and his Mom had an estranged relationship, weren't speaking.

When the old man died, Jr. found out about it from a mutual friend. That's how this Superposed ended up in someone else's hands until it was finally obtained by Collectors Firearms in Houston. She saw to it that Jr. didn't get it, although he did end up with the Ithaca double discussed earlier and a number of left handed custom rifles. Those guns passed to Bill, his son.

DF

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Those "Contentious Irish Mothers" can be "exasperating" for sure. I volunteered for the Army during the VietNam War to get away from mine, lol. Oh sure, we loved each other, just sometimes we couldn't "stand each other", ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/20/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
And you won't.

Jr. loved his Dad, described his Mom as a "contentious Irish woman". Seems to me, Jr. must have taken more after his Mom than his Dad. Like they say, opposites attract.

When the old man died, Jr. found out about it from a mutual friend. That's how this Superposed ended up in someone else's hands until it was finally obtained by Collectors Firearms in Houston. She saw to it that Jr. didn't get it, although he did end up with the Ithaca double discussed earlier and a number of left handed custom rifles. Those guns passed to Bill, his son.

DF

Elmer Keith ended up with the Majors Ithaca 10 gauge and Parker 16 gauge. I wonder if she bypassed Jr on those as well?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nor have I

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A Government employed assassin is he a murderer? Or a justified killing?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Charley wrote he killed the first North Vietnamese soldier with a M-29 S&W, reportedly coming down a trail. Shot him double action; ya reckon that somehow gave him a sporting chance. DA with the Col wasn’t much of break for the ARNV; he ended up just as dead.

As you probably know he was a noted pistol champion, wouldn’t want him shooting at me!

DF

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charley wrote he killed the first North Vietnamese soldier with a M-29 S&W, reportedly coming down a trail. Shot him double action; ya reckon that somehow gave him a sporting chance. DA with the Col wasn’t much of break for the ARNV; he ended up just as dead.

As you probably know he was a noted pistol champion, wouldn’t want him shooting at me!

DF

Let's hear it for the Velo Dog!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
And you won't.

DF

Elmer Keith ended up with the Majors Ithaca 10 gauge and Parker 16 gauge. I wonder if she bypassed Jr on those as well?
I’m guessing the Major may have given those to Elmer. Someone who knows may want to chime in.

He and Elmer were lifelong buds.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

DF

Let's hear it for the Velo Dog!
Yeah, he was gaming the system. That does sound like him.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think, Elmer bought both the 10 and 16 ga. Ithaca's from the Major. Both were Ithaca's.
The major did get involved in a shooting scrap in the Philippines. He emptyed his .38 into a Morrow soldier, and I think finally hit him over the head. The guy died. He wasn't as deadly as his son. I like both of them for different reasons. Condeming his actions with crooks, is why we are in the mess we are today.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sand, where did you find the article My Old Man Was a Pistol?

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I think, Elmer bought both the 10 and 16 ga. Ithaca's from the Major. Both were Ithaca's.
The major did get involved in a shooting scrap in the Philippines. He emptyed his .38 into a Morrow soldier, and I think finally hit him over the head. The guy died. He wasn't as deadly as his son. I like both of them for different reasons. Condeming his actions with crooks, is why we are in the mess we are today.
The Major sustained a serious injury, took a while to recover.

Now, if he’d have had that M-29, could have been a different outcome.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For sure.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, concerning that anemic .38 revolver, John Moses Browning came to the rescue.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
A Government employed assassin is he a murderer? Or a justified killing?

I think it was Lewis Puller or maybe Smedley Butler (Marine 2X MOH receipient) that said if they knew the things they were doing in the banana republics on behalf of the United States Government, they could have given Al Capone some pointers on how to be really evil.

I wished I could remember where I read it to paraphrase it correctly, but I thought it was pretty interesting reading as a young Marine.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sand, where did you find the article My Old Man Was a Pistol?
44th Edition Gun Digest, 1990.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.