Campfire Regular
Some good info here from guys who clean a LOT of barrels:

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
well I'm glad to report my somewhat controversial down to bare metal cleaning has resulted in exactly what I hope to see. a rifle that was shooting around an inch and a half group at 50 yards to shooting a half inch group at 50 yards.. now to get the Target down range and get loads dialed in..

another note on extended brush life I use carburetor cleaner to spray out brushes with after being in harsher cleaning solutions.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Some good info here from guys who clean a LOT of barrels:

good stuff .
I'm a fan of just letting the bird tell me what it wants.
and today's affordable horoscope options it's easier to keep track of than ever.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been using Wipe out foaming bore cleaner for the past ten years now. It does a really good job. Save a ton on time. Well worth the cost.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Using Butch's, I rinse the bronze brush off with water immediately after using. I haven't noticed a problem with the brushes deteriorating.

I keep a small pump spray bottle of 90% alcohol in my range box and spray the brushes with that. Works good and the brushes last a long time.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use red can CRC Brakleen for spraying out brushes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't clean until accuracy falls off and like others, I'm not sold on a hospital sterile barrel/clean. That said Cortina used CLR a bit but seems to have stopped.

Here's his latest deal I could find on it. First 3 mins he goes over what he's using - rest of the vid is a how to so to speak.

Sounds a lot like "You should not use it", "I'm still going to, I'm just not going to tell anyone".

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ldholton
well I'm glad to report my somewhat controversial down to bare metal cleaning has resulted in exactly what I hope to see. a rifle that was shooting around an inch and a half group at 50 yards to shooting a half inch group at 50 yards.. now to get the Target down range and get loads dialed in..

another note on extended brush life I use carburetor cleaner to spray out brushes with after being in harsher cleaning solutions.

Glad it worked out!

But a more interesting experiment might have been to shoot before the final carbon-cleaning, and see if there was any difference in group size--especially with more than one group.

Might also comment that I watched the Hornady podcast, and their experience has been my experience: How much cleaning "needs" to be done for the smallest groups depends on the individual barrel, bullet, powder, etc.

Have also visited many pressure labs, including those of ammunition manufacturers who make far more than Hornady, and that's been their experience as well. Oh, and their testing is always done indoors, in very controlled conditions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[video:youtube]
[/video]
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[/video]
Dave

LOL

You think a bronze brush causes more damage to a barrel than shooting bullets down the bore, that fit so tightly that they engrave, at 60,000 PSI

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
brush never touch my barrels

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use #9 to get the easy carbon out. Patch out to get the copper and a couple of years ago I got some Marvel Mystery Oil penetrating oil in a spray bottle. It's no longer sold but looking it up on the MSDS reports it's got the same stuff in it as the Marvel Mystery oil you put in your car's gas tank or engine. I put it on a patch and run it through the barrel until the barrel is nice and damp. I let it set for a couple of days and I push a patch wrapped around an old brush through the barrel and I get more carbon. I run the patches until they come out clean and oil free. My bore scope is telling me that at least 99% of the carbon is gone. I shoot a couple of rounds through the gun before I shoot for groups to re-season the barrel.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[/video]
Dave

LOL

You think a bronze brush causes more damage to a barrel than shooting bullets down the bore, that fit so tightly that they engrave, at 60,000 PSI
Let's just say I'll never use a bronze brush again for any reason.
I agree totally with what Frank says.
And he's got more time behind a scope than any of us.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Kroil and a bronze brush is key ...
Nothing wrong with Kroil.
I use KG carbon and KG copper for chemical cleaners.
Thorough flush and thorough clean with a Isso nylon brush for when it starts to get ugly.
And when it really gets ugly witches Brew.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So let's get this straight.

The man that owns one of the most respected barrel companies in the World (that's a capital 'W') and is, himself, an accomplished barrel maker and competitive shooter....is told he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to cleaning a barrel? shocked

Pretty weird even for the Campfire. crazy

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
So let's get this straight.

The man that owns one of the most respected barrel companies in the World (that's a capital 'W') and is, himself, an accomplished barrel maker and competitive shooter....is told he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to cleaning a barrel? shocked

Pretty weird even for the Campfire. crazy
if you're referring to me I never said nothing like that I was referring to getting some really odly carboned area out of a standard factory barrel..

if you're referring to something else carry on

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bronze phosphor has a Rockwell Hardness of 78 while Stainless steel has an RH of 88

kriegerbarrels.com

There is no right answer to cleaning products and equipment, however under no circumstances should you use a stainless brush. If you choose to use brushes in your cleaning use only quality bronze phosphor brushes or nylon. Clean them after every use to extend their life.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan Lilja also plainly states that bronze brushes are fine.

Have talked to John Krieger about some of the same stuff--and other things--and he's in complete agreement.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wasn’t the concern with bronze brushes and abrasives?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Wasn’t the concern with bronze brushes and abrasives?

Bingo. wink

Depending on the alloy and treatment during manufacturing, phosphor bronze will run from the low 20's to the high 90's Rc. Which is why using a high quality looped bronze brushes...Dewey or Pro Shot...makes a difference. That's all I use in my barrels, regardless of maker.

For JBing a barrel, the high quality Iosso synthetic brushes are very good.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1Longbow, 260Remguy, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 43 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,875
Posts18,478,865
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.