Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
just a note with foaming bore cleaners if you use it in any of the gas type gun with a gas tube or piston it will make it hell of a mess...

Generally, most know how many holes their barrel has in it...... crazy

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Just a heads up if you're using a foaming cleaner.

When they get out the back end of the chamber and your receiver has an exposed front action screw (700's, etc.), these foaming cleaners creep between the screw threads and action threads and get between the receiver and the bedding.

The tapered stopper setup seals the back of the chamber so this doesn't happen. A dab of non hardening sealer on the front action screw threads helps too.

You don’t need the tapered stopper. The tube I’m showing is soft enough that you seal the chamber at the neck. No cleaner gets behind it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last year before deer hunting time, I took a box of chemicals to the range with a big 'Free' sign on it.

Jeez...it looked like a government cheese hand out! crazy Even the box got scarfed up.

I use all of these, depending on the situation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Haha. I resemble that.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Last year before deer hunting time, I took a box of chemicals to the range with a big 'Free' sign on it.

Jeez...it looked like a government cheese hand out! crazy Even the box got scarfed up.

I use all of these, depending on the situation.

Al,

Have a similar collection--which I've considered reducing recently, as I'm downsizing various other collections.

When using foam cleaners I shoot 'em into the muzzle too--but put a fired case in the chamber, wrapped with just enough thin tape to prevent the foam from getting into the action.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good tips here. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone please pay attention to Ed's use of Isopropyl alcohol. He uses 99%. Note that most all druge store Isopropyl is 70%. That means it is 30% water. DO NOT use 70% in your bore (or anywhere else you don't want potential corrosion. Likewise, do not use 99% on your skin.

Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I don't clean until accuracy falls off and like others, I'm not sold on a hospital sterile barrel/clean. That said Cortina used CLR a bit but seems to have stopped.

Here's his latest deal I could find on it. First 3 mins he goes over what he's using - rest of the vid is a how to so to speak.

All I can comment on is that last little bit of carbon fouling that he used the carb out wasnt really needed. If he would have followed directions on the Iosso bore cleaner and used a Iosso nylon brush after letting the bore cleaner work a couple minutes it wouldnt have been in there.

I'm vaguely aware of him as a shooter (PRS/F-Class isn't my interest) but he's been showing up more and more in my youtube feed as I'm looking to learn more about loading for accuracy. His video on "stop chasing the lands" makes a ton of sense to me and I had randomly seen a video where he was soaking things in CLR. Then this thread popped - all in about 72 hours. Figured I'd post.

TL/DR - I'm not a Cortina fan boi, just saw it as a data point/opinion to share.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hatari
Everyone please pay attention to Ed's use of Isopropyl alcohol. He uses 99%. Note that most all druge store Isopropyl is 70%. That means it is 30% water. DO NOT use 70% in your bore (or anywhere else you don't want potential corrosion. Likewise, do not use 99% on your skin.

I don't clean until accuracy falls off and like others, I'm not sold on a hospital sterile barrel/clean. That said Cortina used CLR a bit but seems to have stopped.

Here's his latest deal I could find on it. First 3 mins he goes over what he's using - rest of the vid is a how to so to speak.

All I can comment on is that last little bit of carbon fouling that he used the carb out wasnt really needed. If he would have followed directions on the Iosso bore cleaner and used a Iosso nylon brush after letting the bore cleaner work a couple minutes it wouldnt have been in there.

I'm vaguely aware of him as a shooter (PRS/F-Class isn't my interest) but he's been showing up more and more in my youtube feed as I'm looking to learn more about loading for accuracy. His video on "stop chasing the lands" makes a ton of sense to me and I had randomly seen a video where he was soaking things in CLR. Then this thread popped - all in about 72 hours. Figured I'd post.

TL/DR - I'm not a Cortina fan boi, just saw it as a data point/opinion to share.

the 99% stuff is what I actually make some case lubricant of that and lanolin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by ldholton; 02/27/24.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hatari

the 99% stuff is what I actually make some case lubricant of that and lanolin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

i make it too. it is better than aerosol Hornady one shot spray.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Kroil and a bronze brush is key ...

Boretech Eliminator first, for carbon, then Wipeout foam for the rest, no scrubby ; ]
good to hear you're still around gunner !

Just barely my friend ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a bud that shoots benchrest for score matches & is now using,,,,, PB Blaster to mop his bores with. Normally I'd say; you got to be kidding me, but he's been winning so much in the last few years that I can't question a single one of his procedures.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It’s good to hear that most of you care enough about your firearms to clean them regularly. Just one or two points.

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

Don’t be fooled by store bought cleaners! They are overpriced and don’t work well.

All companies hire a scientist, but not for research and development or safety. They are hired because they went to university and learned a lot of chemical names and complex descriptors for common things, like ethyl ether (acid and alcohol), tapolene (water), glucose or dextrose (sugar), and blunt force trauma (being beaten by a revenuer) They also have letters after their names. It impresses people, and when you’re young, is a great help in picking up girls.

How about ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (EGME) or C3H8O2 aka ‘Shine’? If you think of a fancy mixed drink like a Pina Colada, you’d be on the right track for what this is. Instead of rum, pineapples, coconut creams, fruit and ice, just think of a bunch of alcohols mixed together.

Put this on a label, and watch the retail price of a bottle of ‘shine’ go through the roof! Of course, it’s an organic solvent, just like pappy’s corn squeezin’s. It will strip or thin paint. Or you can use it as a spot remover. Some folks call it Mountain Dew or White Lightning, but please, don’t drink it! The store bought, commercially made stuff will make you sick or blind you! It’s not purified like home brew!!!

Just remember, companies cannot charge big bucks if customers find out their gun cleaner is made from potato peelings and/or other fermented plants. So they get all fancy, hire a scientist, and call the peelings, sugar,etc – hydrocarbons, and other $25 names.

See your local moonshiner for inexpensive, effective gun cleaners that you can drink!

[Linked Image from 303british.com]
Whishhoooh…white lightnin’!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I see you don’t own a bore scope.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But I do! smile I was usin' it just now.

Please note the arrow. It's pointin' at my prescription borescope! I wear these every time I clean my guns.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I see you don’t own a bore scope.
oh but I do and that's exactly why I stated what I did

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don’t use bronze brushes and don’t use Kroil and just took a very fouled barrel to bare metal clean, including complete removal of the carbon ring, in 20 minutes using commercial cleaners and a nylon brush. Done.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Don’t use bronze brushes and don’t use Kroil and just took a very fouled barrel to bare metal clean, including complete removal of the carbon ring, in 20 minutes using commercial cleaners and a nylon brush. Done.
well I noticed you failed to say exactly what you used though..

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You were so certain you'd "discovered" the absolute BEST way to get carbon out of a bore that a number of people apparently didn't want to answer, for whatever reason.

My experience involves prepping a number of bores down to bare steel for installation of Dyna Bore-Coat since it was introduced over 15 years ago. It requires the bore to be absolutely clean, and the fastest method I came up with after some experimentation was around 20 strokes of a tight bore brush wrapped in a cotton patch, then slathered with JB Bore-Cleaning Compound. Would be willing to bet that's quicker than a brush and Kroil, since I also have considerable experience with Kroil. The JB method takes about three minutes--and eventually became part of the directions for installing DBC, which is highly effective in preventing carbon build-up.

At least a couple of people also suggested highly effective carbon cleaner/solvents.

For also curious about what kind of scope you have on the rifle you used to shoot the half-inch group at 50 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the consensus on shelf life for Sweet;s 7.62?

MM

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 35, 13 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,870
Posts18,478,702
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.