Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I could put raiding nests and hatchlings under scavageing, or better predacious scavenging. Not a lot of "hunting" going on there, but that's pretty nit-picky. smile

There is a white, not albino, one wintering in Anchorage. Or was. It was first spotted on the Kenai Peninsula last summer, but apparently moved up to Anchorage for better winter pickings. Probably won't return to the Kenai, but we will see, if it survives.

You can probably google up a pic of it.

Last edited by las; 02/21/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Last edited by las; 02/21/24.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
ironbender: Ravens are indeed smart!
They learn "guns ranges" and "humans with guns" quickly.
Of recent though many have not yet learned the flat trajectory and range of a 204 Ruger Rifle - and those nest robbers are done being smart.
They also peck the eyes out of newborn calves and one of the cattle ranchers I Varmint Hunt on his place pleads with me to diminish their numbers.
Two winters ago he lost 6 newborn calves to being blinded by Ravens.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That happens quite a bit around here. "Supposed" to be illegal to kill 'em, but I've never heard of it being pushed by LE.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Before the town got so close to us, ravens would steal golf balls at the course, and drop them on cross ties in the corrals and fence corners.
It got so bad, the pro started carrying a shotgun in a bag when he went around the course - and on the mower while mowing.
When I'd gather a couple dozen balls up, I'd take them back down there and return them (mostly range balls).
The course was just under a mile from our corrals.
I'd also occasionally find one out in the pasture, usually not too far from a rock.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hard boiled "eggs". smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My uncle has a pet raven, over 100 years old it belonged to his mom when she was a young, my uncle is 86 now. Smart bird and it sounds just like Pete when it talks.

A 100 year old bird? Had no idea they could live near that age.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Bastards cost me at least one grade point in Ornitholgy. Dyke prof claimed they were only scavengers, I related how I had watched them in obvious hunting/ predation mode over my brother's fields outside Fairbanks, probably for voles or maybe frogs. They would fly, hover, than dive into the overgrown field vegetation for something, then repeat.

Same thing I saw frigate? birds doing in a lagoon in Cancun last week.

Dyke bitch didn't like being refuted. I should have kept my mouth shut. Proving ravens are at least sometimes smarter than some people. In this case, two!
So, you’re not a bird brain? 😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Before the town got so close to us, ravens would steal golf balls at the course, and drop them on cross ties in the corrals and fence corners.
It got so bad, the pro started carrying a shotgun in a bag when he went around the course - and on the mower while mowing.
When I'd gather a couple dozen balls up, I'd take them back down there and return them (mostly range balls).
The course was just under a mile from our corrals.
I'd also occasionally find one out in the pasture, usually not too far from a rock.

Last August we were clearing a site to build a camp. Forested area on small lake, 6 miles from nearest hamlet, 20 miles or more from nearest golf course. A log we were dragging out gouged open a dirt mound and uncovered a golf ball. The site has never been cleared before. Ravens are common in the area, best guess is a raven found that ball somewhere and dropped it. Must have carried it for miles.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My uncle has a pet raven, over 100 years old it belonged to his mom when she was a young, my uncle is 86 now. Smart bird and it sounds just like Pete when it talks.

A 100 year old bird? Had no idea they could live near that age.

Me either, per ravens, but Macaw? parrots can live to be 150 or more, Bowhead whales to at least 70 (slate harpoon point found in a hsrvested big Bowhead in the 90's, off Barrow)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO
For those interested in reducing their local pop. of ravens, be careful, they're protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-50/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-10/subpart-B/section-10.13
that is why there is a saying, all the dead ones are crows. most people don't know the difference between a crow and a raven.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
https://chirpforbirds.com/bird-brain/13-surprising-and-spooky-raven-facts/

#1: Ravens are highly intelligent

As a part of the corvid bird family, which includes crows, ravens are large black birds with brains relatively big for their size. However, one difference between ravens and crows (other than the raven’s larger size) is that ravens are more intelligent. Nonetheless, all members of the corvid family have been known to craft and use tools, plan for the future, barter, and even play games like hide-and-seek.
#2: Ravens are excellent hunters

Often hunting in groups, ravens have been known to trap and kill prey twice their size. They will also hide their food from other predators, even other ravens. In fact, they often “pretend” to hide food in a safe place while another raven is watching—only to move the food cache to another location when unobserved!
#3: Ravens can mimic human voices

In fact, they are often even better at it than parrots! These intelligent birds can also mimic animal and bird calls as well as various “manmade” sounds like a toilet flushing or a car starting.
#4: Ravens gesture to communicate

From holding up objects of interest (typically a male mating ritual to lure a female) to “pointing” at things with their beaks, ravens have been elevated to a level of communication that, until recently, was observed solely in humans and apes.
#5: Ravens can live anywhere

Found in North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia, ravens can live in diverse environments ranging from urban areas and forests to high deserts and tundra.
#6: Ravens remember faces

Perhaps one of the most impressive, and unsettling, facts about ravens is that they have what is called “episodic memory,” much like humans and other primates. This allows them to remember human faces and other characteristics, particularly in association with an emotion or event, which leads to our next fact.
#7: Ravens have friends…and enemies

Ravens tend to prefer companionship with other ravens, particularly if they are relatives and of the opposite sex. But raven or human, don’t cheat them or they’ll remember—and probably won’t “work” with you again! In fact, ravens are known to hold grudges for up to one month after a sour experience!
#8: A group of ravens is called an “unkindness”

And if that isn’t spooky enough, other collective nouns for ravens include a “treachery” and a “conspiracy.”
#9: Ravens travel in gangs before pairing off

In their younger years, ravens travel in small flocks before pairing off—a sort of “Friends”-like meet-cute, only Ross and Rachel mate for life in this scenario.
#10: “The Raven” poem haunted Edgar Allan Poe

The iconic poem launched Poe from a virtual nobody to an overnight success, but his newfound popularity wasn’t always easy for the writer. Children were known to follow him through the streets, flapping their arms and croaking like the poem’s namesake. Poe’s response? Shouting “Nevermore!” at them until they ran away.
#11: Ravens are powerful symbols in lore

Often associated with death, illness, or a bad omen, ravens have been featured in ancient stories from around the world and in almost every culture. For example, Swedish folklore has it that ravens are the spirits of murdered people who weren’t given Christian burials. Irish folklore sees ravens as symbols of warfare, and the Hindu deity Shani is often visualized as mounted on the back of a giant raven.
#12: There are white ravens

These light-feathered birds are actually ravens with a rare pigment condition called leucism, which gives them their fair feathers and, oftentimes, blue eyes.
#13: The raven population is exploding

Over the past decade, there has been a steady and dramatic increase of ravens in North America. Of particular note is the Mojave Desert, which has reported a staggering 700 percent increase of the black birds over the past 40 years! While this is good news in the midst of a “bird crisis” in North America and Canada, which have collectively lost nearly three billion birds since 1970, this raven boom could spell trouble for the US population of desert tortoises, which are a favorite raven delicacy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way back a coworker set out to research predation rates on simulated sage grouse nests. The grouse were T&E candidates at the time, ravens were/are the primary nest raider, so interest was high, and the potential for a quick and easy publication was there.

Actual nests are usually very well cloistered beneath sagebrush, so he went out with my survey grade GPS equipped technician and dispersed a full case of chicken eggs tucked well under 80 or so sagebrush canopies across three sites. Plans were to do repeated counts across 4 subsequent two-day intervals. With their first assessment, he came back to my office livid that our GPS gear was absolute garbage, he had totally wasted his time and funds, and that he would hence forth lay out a 100-m tape and physically map his egg locations. They had not found a single nest/egg. I insisted on a repeat go around and went along to run the equipment.

This time we put a chunk of local rock on the opposite side of each egg site with a washer hidden beneath. Two days later, we were out again. We found every rock and washer and only a single egg that had been essentially tucked into a rodent burrow. On the way out we did a deviation to a cornering rock jack where we found a heaping stack of shattered eggshells. Same results with not a single egg at the next two sites and the remnants piled at nearby corner posts.

I suggested a rerun with a blind and observer to document the near instantaneous disappearance rate real time, but he abandoned the effort.

later trail cam monitoring of actual nests found hens incubating for all but the very moments of day when they would do a quick run to water.

Lessons learned: 1. Ravens don't miss much. 2. High end GPS units can get one right on the money every time.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/21/24.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Way back a coworker set out to research predation rates on simulated sage grouse nests. The grouse were T&E candidates at the time, ravens were/are the primary nest raider, so interest was high.

Actual nests are usually very well cloistered beneath sagebrush, so he went out with my survey grade GPS equipped technician and dispersed a full case of chicken eggs tucked well under 80 or so sagebrush canopies across three sites. Plans were to do repeated counts across 4 two-day intervals. With their first assessment, he came back to my office livid that our GPS gear was absolute garbage and that he would hence forth lay out a 100m tape and physically map his egg locations. They had not found a single nest/egg. I insisted on a repeat go around and went along to run the equipment.

This time we put a chunk of local rock on the opposite side of each egg site with a washer hidden beneath. Two days later I again accompanied them. We found every rock and washer and only a single egg that had been essentially tucked into a rodent burrow. On the way out we did a deviation to a cornering rock jack where we found a heaping stack of shattered eggshells. Same results with not a single egg at the next two sites and the remnants piled at nearby corner posts.

I suggested a rerun with a blind and observer to document the near instantaneous disappearance rate real time, but he abandoned the effort.

Lessons learned: 1. Ravens don't miss much. 2. High end GPS units can get one right on the money every time.

What you are saying is that Raven GPS matches human teck. smile

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ravens have great eyesight, they could have been watching you, from a distance, hide the eggs then investigated.

Dale

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, on the eyesight. Years back I learned one should keep an eye on magpies while hunting. We used to frequent Hells Canyon for deer that would shade up midday in scattered brush patches. Magpies crossing from one ridge to another would frequently drop down and plow into the shrubs to peck at deer we had not seen. Same same for elk in open country.

Eagles, crows, ravens, magpies, hawks, vultures, and coyotes all keep a sharp eye on one another's doings. All of those also do an early AM look along our highways for nighttime roadkill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We don't seem to have an issue with ravens and calving.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/21/24.

1Minute
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've heard a raven will fly toward the sound of gunshot.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I’m glad we don’t have ravens in this country after reading all this, fun to watch, but could be hell on baby calf’s, Mexican vultures are here now with our red heads, patrol every day watching them, crows are everywhere, that’s enough. I have watched ravens in Alaska standing right next to eagles, they are just out of reach, you can tell the bald’s would pull the ravens head off in a second if he could just hook em, great horned, owls and crows, same thing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cool thread, had a pet crow as a kid, rescued it with a broken wing. It could talk, demand food, say hi, and a few other phrases. It would perch on my golden retriever and ride around on his back. Pretty funny pets, and definitely intelligent. It hung around for 3 years then started leaving in winter. Think it came back for two more summers afterwards then never saw it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The last two winters we've had a magpie that will fly over to the loader tractor every morning and watch for mice when I move round bales.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.