Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
I haven't played with SD and barrel harmonics in centerfires but, I have in air rifles. Same principles. Seems to me that finding a node in an Audet/barrel harmonics test makes your rifle more forgiving of bigger SD's and tiny SD's make your rifle more forgiving of not being right in a harmonics node. Ammunition manufacturers can only play with SD since they're loading for everybody's rifle. The question then, is which gives you the most forgiveness or biggest benefit - tiny SD or harmonics node, since you really can't chase both. Watching the wet noodle videos of barrels during firing, I'd guess an Audet/barrel harmonics node is going to give you more benefit than a tiny SD and should be sought first. My question would be, after finding the harmonics node can you then chase SD to any appreciable extent? Is that what that Cortina guy was doing in the video with OAL?

Thanks for making me think on a Saturday morning! smile
When searching for the proper muzzle exit time you're trying to hit the dwell period when the muzzle movement is slowing down before it hits its peak. A slight variation in velocity will hopefully occur in that stage of the barrel movement.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question then, is which gives you the most forgiveness or biggest benefit - tiny SD or harmonics node, since you really can't chase both.
Sure you can. The method was previously mentioned in this thread.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The question then, is which gives you the most forgiveness or biggest benefit - tiny SD or harmonics node, since you really can't chase both.

Ok, Jordan, you just made me skim back through all the posts. I assume it's where you talk about tuning for consistent velocity/pressure (SD) with charge weight, powder, etc. then tuning for a barrel harmonic anti-node with seating depth. Do you do the Audet varying seating depth instead of charge weight? Or, how do you do it? Group size?

Does the cake next to your name mean it's your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I noticed that this entire post is about ES and SD. Only in velocity.......ES and SD in pressure is equally important. And yes you can be having some wild pressure swings and have low ES and SB on velocity. And vise versa. Its a mistake to only look at half the picture.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I noticed that this entire post is about ES and SD. Only in velocity.......ES and SD in pressure is equally important. And yes you can be having some wild pressure swings and have low ES and SB on velocity. And vise versa. Its a mistake to only look at half the picture.
Charlie

I don't doubt you are correct, Charlie, but that doesn't make sense to me. I look up to you and Jordan, too, for that matter, as being way more knowledgeable and experienced in all things ballistics than me. Whatever bones you want to throw my dumb ass by way of explanation is much appreciated.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This discussion of measurement, nonlinearity, harmonics, and variation have some incorrect assumptions and concepts that are muddying the waters.

In experimental labs, we differentiate between measurement uncertainty and error. Measurement error is the difference between the measured value and the true value of the quantity being measured, and is usually unknown due to limited measurement precision. Systematic error relates to an offset built into the measurement, such as an instrument calibration error. Random error is related to the underlying variation in the quantity being measured as well as the limited precision of the measurement. What is more relevant to this discussion is measurement uncertainty. Type A uncertainty describes variation in a measurement due to underlying variation in the quantity being measured, while Type B uncertainty is the result of everything else (resolution limitations of the instruments, etc.).

In this case, we are discussing Type A uncertainty in speed measurements. Usually, multiple sources of uncertainty are combined by adding in quadrature, and we see that the combined measurement uncertainty is dominated by a single source as that source approaches 3x larger than other sources. I.e., if speed variation results in POI changes that are 3x smaller than those due to the precision of the shooter/rifle system, wind effects, etc., then we can essentially ignore speed variation in estimating POI of a given shot.

I’m really not sure where you’re going with the nonlinearity comments, but for clarity, you’re talking about dependent (output) variables that have some non-unity exponential dependence on independent (input) variables.

Barrel harmonics, in this case, have noting to do with specific wave functions or standing waves, and simply refer to integer multiples of the characteristic frequency of the muzzle oscillations. I.e., timing bullet exit with the anti-node of some integer multiple of the periodic motion of the muzzle. Of course, the characteristic frequency of the barrel is dependent on barrel length, stiffness, termination nature, damping sources like bedding, muzzle weights like tuners, etc. In figuring out how to time bullet exit correctly, we can think of it as tuning for consistent acceleration over the length of the barrel, and therefore, consistent bullet exit speed and barrel time, so that the bullet exit is at a similar point in the muzzle oscillation every time. And then tuning the initial position of the bullet (seating depth), and therefore the total distance traveled by the bullet, to time the bullet exit with the muzzle position being at an anti-node.

An alternate approach is to accept some bullet speed variation, but time bullet exit with the muzzle position approaching the top anti-node so that faster bullets exit when the muzzle is at a slightly lower position, and slower bullets exit when the muzzle is at the top of the anti-node. At some distance downrange, vertical dispersion is minimized by slower bullets having a slightly higher trajectory and faster bullets having a lower one, but for other distances, the speed variation causes an increase in vertical POI dispersion relative to the approach that minimizes both speed variation and POI variation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ok, Jordan, you just made me skim back through all the posts. I assume it's where you talk about tuning for consistent velocity/pressure (SD) with charge weight, powder, etc. then tuning for a barrel harmonic anti-node with seating depth. Do you do the Audet varying seating depth instead of charge weight? Or, how do you do it? Group size?

Does the cake next to your name mean it's your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday!
Yes, and it’s the same method referred to in other posts and used by Cortina, F-class John, etc. I personally don’t use the Audette method because it relies on too much statistical uncertainty for my tastes. I first tune for small SD and then shoot groups with varying seating depths in 0.003” increments to get to an anti-node.

It does. Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An alternate approach is to accept some bullet speed variation, but time bullet exit with the muzzle position approaching the top anti-node so that faster bullets exit when the muzzle is at a slightly lower position, and slower bullets exit when the muzzle is at the top of the anti-node. At some distance downrange, vertical dispersion is minimized by slower bullets having a slightly higher trajectory and faster bullets having a lower one, but for other distances, the speed variation causes an increase in vertical POI dispersion relative to the approach that minimizes both speed variation and POI variation.

No matter how carefully one loads ammo, there will always be velocity variations.

This is the entire point of the Audette. It isolates the exit time that you have described and minimizes vertical POI variations at long range

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Absoluty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Charlie
That’s correct, and it’s because we usually only talk about peak pressure. In reality, integration over the entire pressure curve is what ultimately correlates with total acceleration, and therefore, barrel time and bullet exit speed. So it’s possible to have different pressure curves with different peak pressures, that integrate to the same total pressure over the bullet path along the barrel, resulting in identical bullet exit speeds.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

No matter how carefully one loads ammo, there will always be velocity variations.

This is the entire point of the Audette. It isolates the exit time that you have described and minimizes vertical POI variations at long range
True, but less is better.

The principle behind the Audette method minimizes vertical POI variations for a given amount of speed variation and a given distance, but perhaps not compared to a load with significantly less speed variation, which minimizes POI variation at all distances.

The ideal approach would both minimize speed variation, and time bullet exit on the upswing of the top anti-node.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
ES and SD don't account for barrel harmonics.
What creates the harmonics in any given barrel and can harmonics be affected or are they simply inherent in a piece of steel at X length? Unchanging.

Where the muzzle is in it's cycle when the bullet exits can be changed by means of moving weight....a 'tuner' for lack of a better term. If there's no adjustable weight to change where the muzzle is at the time of the bullets exit, other things are used to 'tune' this. Chiefly powder charge, different powders, seating depth, neck tension and different bullets. In other words...normal things we do to 'tune' a barrel. wink

I did this testing last season with a tuner. Nothing is changed but the position of the tuner as it moves further out the barrel. You can clearly see when the muzzle is at it's 'dwell' points and when it's moving between those two points. It's apparent that the amplitude changes as the tuner moves out. This 'sine wave' pattern repeats over and over again. cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The principle behind the Audette method minimizes vertical POI variations for a given amount of speed variation and a given distance, but perhaps not compared to a load with significantly less speed variation, which minimizes POI variation at all distances.

The ideal approach would both minimize speed variation, and time bullet exit on the upswing of the top anti-node.

I believe the Audette accomplishes both

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
ES and SD don't account for barrel harmonics.
What creates the harmonics in any given barrel and can harmonics be affected or are they simply inherent in a piece of steel at X length? Unchanging.

Where the muzzle is in it's cycle when the bullet exits can be changed by means of moving weight....a 'tuner' for lack of a better term. If there's no adjustable weight to change where the muzzle is at the time of the bullets exit, other things are used to 'tune' this. Chiefly powder charge, different powders, seating depth, neck tension and different bullets. In other words...normal things we do to 'tune' a barrel. wink

I did this testing last season with a tuner. Nothing is changed but the position of the tuner as it moves further out the barrel. You can clearly see when the muzzle is at it's 'dwell' points and when it's moving between those two points. It's apparent that the amplitude changes as the tuner moves out. This 'sine wave' pattern repeats over and over again. cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's very similar to the target-test I do on rifles used at longer ranges. Have found it's easier and faster than the classic Audette....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, and it’s the same method referred to in other posts and used by Cortina, F-class John, etc. I personally don’t use the Audette method because it relies on too much statistical uncertainty for my tastes. I first tune for small SD and then shoot groups with varying seating depths in 0.003” increments to get to an anti-node.

It does. Thank you!

Got it. Thanks

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
How do you control the 'barrel' variable? Barrel temperature plus the condition of the surface of both the lands and grooves must come into play, right?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I believe the Audette accomplishes both

The problem is that the method doesn’t provide any way to reliably know or confirm that speed variation nor vertical POI variation are minimized. One shot with each load doesn’t reveal much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It reveals everything. Hate to have to go over it again because you know how it works

Groups are shot with the loads in the node and invariably one of the loads will shoot great with minimal vertical

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Take your minimum velocity and maximum velocity, run them through a ballistics program. Look at the difference in the drop values for both velocities at 600 and 1000 yards, it will give you an idea if you can hold your shots in the X ring.

My method as well to show the "effect" of a higher ES/SD to folks that don't appreciate what you're trying to achieve.

I want single digit SD if at all possible for the longer range guns. I find it easier to achieve in the longer barreled rifles, whereas I really don't sweat it than much in the 300 yds and under hunt rifles/carbines.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Take your minimum velocity and maximum velocity, run them through a ballistics program. Look at the difference in the drop values for both velocities at 600 and 1000 yards, it will give you an idea if you can hold your shots in the X ring.

My method as well to show the "effect" of a higher ES/SD to folks that don't appreciate what you're trying to achieve.

I want single digit SD if at all possible for the longer range guns. I find it easier to achieve in the longer barreled rifles, whereas I really don't sweat it than much in the 300 yds and under hunt rifles/carbines.

Which doesn’t account for barrel harmonics.

You both are assuming the barrel is “pointing” in the exact same place when the bullet exits to lay that much weight to velocities to calculate drop

In a proper node, higher velocity rounds exit quicker when the muzzle is pointing lower, but drop less

Lower velocity rounds exit later when the muzzle is pointing higher, but drop more

The cumulative effect is minimal vertical dispersion and is the characteristic of the best load

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,880
Posts18,479,095
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.