Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Well the doctor says I can’t shoot rifles for a little while so I have c have been talking to Lee at The Arms Room about converting my Model 71 to a takedown and adding a Ruger No 1 quarter rib to it to mount a scout scope. Do I need a takedown? Not really but I have always wanted one and they just look so cool. I think the Ruger rib will look a little better than just a picatinney rail on it. I will use the Alaska Arms QD rings on it and I am pretty sure I will put the Burris 2.75x scout scope on it. The rifle is not a collector grade and has extra holes so I am not mutilating a pristine example. Bad thing is the 6 month to a year wait.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d love to hear about and see the progress once you pull the trigger on this project.

R
R
I had a 71 (1956 vintage short tang) converted to a takedown so that I could run a second barrel. You'll probably have to decide between full thread and interrupted thread ... mine is full. Just makes for more turning when you swap ... might be considered marginally stronger. I did an NECG express 3 leaf on the second barrel in a raised mount ... probably looks like a very short rib. Looking forward to following along.

Last edited by Rimfire_McNutjob; 02/20/24.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
To me, the possibility of using a non-collector Model 1886 T/D configuration & spiffing it up as desired; such seems far more practical! Strong upside of acquiring T/D as fACTORY- "done deal as manufactured!" Such assurance of 'pro' v/s Bubba. That plus, huge potential savings of time & effort as quality made of inception! Avoiding reinventing the wheel and fussing in the processl!

Downside 'if' you're into hot loads, where Model 71 Chrome Moly steel suggesting definitely desirability edge. Otherwise, consider that the entire Model 71 design factors aren't so much different than the '86. The typical straight grip stock of the '86 if not to suit, adaption there perhaps if not able to find a classic '86 pistol grip stock of origin.

0ne of the main features sough by me 'if' engaging in such project, to achieve a more modern & available cartridge than the 348 Win or the 33 Win chambering. The 45/70 as likely candidate beckoning!

No gunsmith here, simply my thoughts. Such where "hypothetical projects" fall by the wayside due to the realities of contemporary inflation & cost/benefit ratio!

Good luck & just my take! smile
Best!
John

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
L

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LeverGunner

It would be interesting to see this barrel, according to Madis no take downs were offered. Special order, prototype, custom?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by LeverGunner

It would be interesting to see this barrel, according to Madis no take downs were offered. Special order, prototype, custom?

I’m guessing it’s mislabeled/misidentified…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rimfire_McNutjob
I had a 71 (1956 vintage short tang) converted to a takedown so that I could run a second barrel. You'll probably have to decide between full thread and interrupted thread ... mine is full. Just makes for more turning when you swap ... might be considered marginally stronger. I did an NECG express 3 leaf on the second barrel in a raised mount ... probably looks like a very short rib. Looking forward to following along.

I have pictures of your rifle on my home computer from years ago. If I remember correctly, it has a case color hardened receiver, right?

R
R
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I have pictures of your rifle on my home computer from years ago. If I remember correctly, it has a case color hardened receiver, right?

That's probably it. I could dig up a picture and post it and you could tell me. Is this it?

71 Takedown Left Side Receiver showing Case Colors.

Last edited by Rimfire_McNutjob; 02/22/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rimfire_McNutjob
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman

That's probably it. I could dig up a picture and post it and you could tell me. Is this it?

71 Takedown Left Side Receiver showing Case Colors.

That’s the one!
I’ve been drooling over it since you first posted about it - maybe on Paco Kelley’s but I could be wrong.

I’m sure people here would love to hear about and see it. Maybe on a different thread - sorry to the op for derailing btw.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.