Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

43 1/2" 11 points on one side 14 points on the other, Back in the old day's we wouldn't shoot a Mule Deer Buck Smaller Than 40", Hunters don't let them grow up any more. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of truth in that; really heavy rack.

Where is it from?

MM

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
John............for big Sonoran bucks, yours &, especially your buddy's are more typically formed than many I've seen. Many are pretty badly crab-clawed.

Many larger heads from there tend to be more like the one in the OP than typical, &I really don't like their looks.

The pic in the OP is BIG, no matter how it was taken, but IMHO, it's not an attractive head compared to most of the larger heads from further North.

Here are what good looking Mule Deer should look like.

All these are from some areas in SE Idaho where we hunted for a long time before things there went to hell.

The 1st pic is the current Idaho all time #2. The bottom pic is me with a thinner, but wide racked deer that made 177. The middle pic is of a couple of really big, heavy deer.

MM

I don't have any preconceived ideas of what a big mule deer "should look like." Do have a good friend--a little older than I am--who grew up in southeast Idaho, and his first buck made B&C. It didn't look like the bucks you show, but so what? It was tall and relatively narrow--but with very long tines.

They vary from Mexico to Canada, one reason I've hunted them from Mexico to Canada--along with New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Here's my biggest Montana buck, both in body weight and antlers. Didn't get to weigh him, since this was around 20 miles from the nearest trail-head, on a horseback hunt with my late outfitter friend Richard Jackson, who I used to guide for before he was killed in a horse wreck in his 40s:

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great buck.........interesting with those extra forks on the rear forks. Looks like a sizeable, thick body laying on the ground too.

Rem KS rifle?

MM

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I took my best, by far, last year on an 8000 acre low fenced ranch in SW Kansas. Big bodied guy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RIO7

43 1/2" 11 points on one side 14 points on the other, Back in the old day's we wouldn't shoot a Mule Deer Buck Smaller Than 40", Hunters don't let them grow up any more. Rio7

Now that's a beautiful buck, Rio, a real shooter.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like big mule deer no matter where they're from. I've killed them in Sonora, TX, NM, OK, and CO. Oddly enough, the biggest bodied mule deer I've hunted live in the West TX sandhills area. Low deer densities prevail.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I like big mule deer no matter where they're from. I've killed them in Sonora, TX, NM, OK, and CO. Oddly enough, the biggest bodied mule deer I've hunted live in the West TX sandhills area. Low deer densities prevail.

Yeah, that boy has a big body alright.

Mule deer are probably one the hardest game animal to hunt for a lot of reasons, & there are not so many deer anymore, to say nothing of big bucks.

A trophy mule deer is a real, usually hard earned, animal.

MM

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Great buck.........interesting with those extra forks on the rear forks. Looks like a sizeable, thick body laying on the ground too.

Rem KS rifle?

MM

Thanks! It was a VERY big-bodied buck. Obviously couldn't weigh him, but I tend to measure big game bodies, both in "chest-depth" from brisket to back, and front of the the chest to rear of the rump. He was as big as a 1-1/2-year old cow elk Eileen killed a couple weeks after that. Probably 350-400 live weight.

The "extra" tine was interesting, since it was just about exactly the same length on both antlers. Might also mention the meat tasted great--it was at least two weeks before the rut started.

Not a Remington KS. Instead it was a custom rifle built by the late Dave Gentry on a 700 action, with a synthetic stock I've forgotten the name of--and is no longer made. He lightened the action by not only taking steel off the outside, but by substituting an aluminum tube for the center of the bolt, and you couldn't see it. Also a Gentry Model 70-type safety. The barrel was a #1 stainless Douglas, coated with something Dave used back then, which was very tough.

Hunted with that rifle for around a decade on various hunts in both the U.S. and Canada, among other animals taking one of my two biggest caribou. But a friend finally talked me out of it in a trade....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen MM. I've been hooked on hunting them since 1971.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a wide one Cookie ran down last summer/fall. Probably would not score well in B&C.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Rear view

And another good one in the neighborhood.

Like them when the spread gets out well beyond the ears.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/24/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Not a Remington KS. Instead it was a custom rifle built by the late Dave Gentry on a 700 action, with a synthetic stock I've forgotten the name of--

Dave Gentry always did top notch work, IMO..................sounds like a great rifle.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Amen MM. I've been hooked on hunting them since 1971.

Yeah, they're my favorite too.

Biggest bodied deer I've ever seen while hunting was in CO, flattops in Delta county.

Deer had to be 34-36" & 350 lb.; unfortunately, I was elk hunting & couldn't shoot it as at that time, CO had split seasons.

Stood & looked at me for 5 minutes at maybe 100 yards or so.

Just my luck....................

MM

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=JGRaider]I like big mule deer no matter where they're from. I've killed them in Sonora, TX, NM, OK, and CO. Oddly enough, the biggest bodied mule deer I've hunted live in the West TX sandhills area. Low deer densities prevail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote
JG, an area game warden told me there are bucks that would go 400 on the hoof in the country from Seminole south to Imperial.

Only of my Texas big racks came off real big bucks, however.

The 32 or so incher I got with a Muzzle Loader in NM was about as big as a cow elk.

My cousin holds the rack of my, at the time, No 3 Desert Mule Deer and No 1 Texas Mule Deer.

I had a couple of accomplished Co Deer and Elk hunters as patients who have worked on the Chevron Oil Co country in the sandhills north of Imperial who also ranch on the side who have told me of several huge muleys on it over 40 inches.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/24/24.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High fenced isn’t necessarily a canned hunt or even an easy hunt, but something tells me that particular buck wasn’t exactly a challenge. That is totally beside the point though and a discussion for a different day…

Free range big bucks come from all over. I have dozens and dozens of pics on my phone of big mule deer bucks friends have recently killed in most all western states. The buck in the OP is a bit extreme, but good on him if he’s happy with the whole deal, whatever the circumstances.

My biggest bodied buck was from western Wyoming and fairly high elevation. I have no clue what he weighed but sure would like to.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That’s a ridiculous stud of a buck, Jag.

Congrats again.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That’s a ridiculous stud of a buck, Jag.

Congrats again.

Thanks, MM and God Bless.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Helluva buck, Doc.

MM

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
John............for big Sonoran bucks, yours &, especially your buddy's are more typically formed than many I've seen. Many are pretty badly crab-clawed.

Many larger heads from there tend to be more like the one in the OP than typical, &I really don't like their looks.

The pic in the OP is BIG, no matter how it was taken, but IMHO, it's not an attractive head compared to most of the larger heads from further North.

Here are what good looking Mule Deer should look like.

All these are from some areas in SE Idaho where we hunted for a long time before things there went to hell.

The 1st pic is the current Idaho all time #2. The bottom pic is me with a thinner, but wide racked deer that made 177. The middle pic is of a couple of really big, heavy deer.

MM

I don't have any preconceived ideas of what a big mule deer "should look like." Do have a good friend--a little older than I am--who grew up in southeast Idaho, and his first buck made B&C. It didn't look like the bucks you show, but so what? It was tall and relatively narrow--but with very long tines.

They vary from Mexico to Canada, one reason I've hunted them from Mexico to Canada--along with New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Here's my biggest Montana buck, both in body weight and antlers. Didn't get to weigh him, since this was around 20 miles from the nearest trail-head, on a horseback hunt with my late outfitter friend Richard Jackson, who I used to guide for before he was killed in a horse wreck in his 40s:

[Linked Image]

Wow! That's a beautiful muley!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Did I miss something with the roll of tape?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.