Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
How difficult is this to install? Is it simply drop in or does it requiring fitting? Thanks.

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Drop in; 30 seconds to remove the old one and 90 seconds to install the new.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes more time to read the instructions than to actually make the change.

Changing the extractor on a Model 70
If you pull the bolt out of the receiver and hold it in your hand with all five thumbs. Let the bolt handle face out to the right on a right-handed rifle with the bolt face sticking up in the air. Now, look straight down at the face of the bolt, and turn the extractor counterclockwise with your right thumb of your right hand 90 deg. Then, push the extractor forward, away from the bolt handle. The extractor will pop off of the end of the bolt. Continue to push it forward until it clears the extractor collar.
Getting it off is a little easier sometimes than getting it back on, but still no big trick.
First line the collar and extractor up in the same area on the bolt that you took it off. Grab the collar and squeeze it closed with your left hand full of thumbs. Slide the extractor onto the collar, and push it up until it stops at the bolt face. At this point you'll have to spring the extractor over the bolt face so that it will reside in it's original position after you rotated it around. Once the extractor is lined up with the radial groove that rotates around the bolt, just rotate the extractor back to it's original position, so that it is positioned over the top of the right bolt lug.
While the directions are a little long, the process is pretty quick, especially after you've seen it done once.

If anyone ever has any problems with this at all, they can feel free to call our toll-free number at 1-888-257-3006, and we'll answer any questions or concerns that they would have.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks a lot. That really helps. I was afraid that it required some type of timing adjustment that I would be unable to do. Again thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worth way more then what they charge for them too!

Just don't tell them thatgrin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Nice. Definately going to get one. Oh wait, I have 2 M70's. Make that 2 extractors to order.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OK, what is the big benefit of a Williams extractor? I have a M-70 WSM that I am somewhat partial to, and I'm wondering. Thanks.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any tips on adjusting the extractor? Bend the aft part in toward the bolt body to increase the purchase on the case rim and bend it away from the bolt body to allow more space between the extractor hook and the case rim. Correct? Do you even polish the remove any metal from the hook itself?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bludog
OK, what is the big benefit of a Williams extractor? I have a M-70 WSM that I am somewhat partial to, and I'm wondering. Thanks.

The Winchester factory part is MIM - metal injection molded, the Williams replacement is heat treated spring steel. The Williams part is certainly more robust but I truly don't know the breakage rate of the factory part.

I guess it is more a matter of the owner's perception of quality, kind of like Remington extractors. Some folks don't trust them worth a darn and others go whole life times with several rifles without any problems.

FWIW, I have replaced the extractors on all of my Winchesters with the Williams part. It is an easy and inexpensive upgrade and for sure doesn't lower the reliablity of the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the question of adjusting, I'd suggest calling Williams at their number listed in my first post and asking them. Or start another thread and mention "triggerguard1" in the title, that is Matt Williams' handle here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear in mind, Model 70 Classics made in the last two years of production already have Williams extractors, and also, most Custom Shop rifles also have a machined extractor.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The problem with the original extractor is not usually breakage. Instead, if for some reason it bends a little too much, it will stay that way. This is not a good thing, since to work correctly a "Mauser-type" extractor has to hug the bolt body tightly.

The Williams extractor fixes this problem cheaply and effectively. It is the extractor Winchester should have used.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Which serial nember range was made in the last two years?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than Custom Shop models, every Model 70 Classic I own from serial number range G259XXXX and on up has a machined extractor. Every Model 70 Classic I own from serial number G252XXXX and down has the MIM extractor. These are all stainless models, and this may be different for CM models, lefties, etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To ID a Williams extractor look on the underside for these markings:
Magnum Right-Hand= M-R
Standard Right-Hand= S-R
Magnum Left-Hand= M-L
Standard Left-Hand= S-L

For Winchester MIM extractors look on the nose for these markings:
None: standard calibers
Two lines: belted magnums
Three lines: Weatherby cartridges.

I got this information on the AR forum from Matt Williams and the engineer that desiged the Winchester Extractor when I was having some problems a while back. Winchester put a magnum extractor on the standard bolt on a 30.06 I bought.

JD

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Useful info, at least on Williams extractors. The info on the MIM extractors is, yeah, well, maybe! grin

For grins, I dug out a few of my older stainless Classics, and looked at the nose on the extractors. These I believe to all have MIM extractors. Results as follows:

243 Win. - one hash mark
7mmWSM - two hash marks
7mmRM - no hash marks
7mmSTW - two hash marks
300 Weatherby - no hash marks

I can't explain it, just what is, is. grin

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a SS M70 Classic, 300 WSM ss#G364###, 2 hash marks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
mudstud,
That doesn't suprise me, just when you think you have something figured out.....

Do they all extract OK?

All my M70's have Williams extractors now. No guessing on which one is right.

JD

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know nuthin' 'bout no hash marks. wink

But my factory extractors, two from stainless Custom shop rifles made in 2000 (one '06 and one .375 H&H) and one blued LT '06 from around 2004 all show a little indented circle with sort of a X in the middle of it, this is on the underside near the rear end.

The Williams ones all have the sizes and direction - Left or Right hand - stamped on them as noted above.

Hope this helps some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had any problem with any of my MIM extractor equipped Classics extracting. I have every intention of eventually replacing them with Williams machined units, but up to now, have not seen a pressing reason to do so. OK, I recant that last statement, I really need to replace them soon! grin The only extractor problem I've ever had with a MIM extractor, is with the 7mmWSM, it won't single feed a round directly into the chamber. This I'm sure has not a thing to do with the fact that it is a MIM extractor, but probably because the rim on the WSM brass is just a tad larger in diameter, what is it? .002" larger, or so. This apparently can cause difficulties in single feeding rounds directly into the chamber with a Model 70 Classic. At any rate, my 7mmWSM won't do it, and all CRF Model 70's are supposed to be able to single feed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 72 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,423
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.