Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
It reveals everything. Hate to have to go over it again because you know how it works

Groups are shot with the loads in the node and invariably one of the loads will shoot great with minimal vertical

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

CumGargler, how's ES/SD on this ammo? Does it over penetrate or not offer enough penetration on the thick armor cockroaches wear? Is it worth the cost, or going through as much as you do to keep the hoards of roaches in your restaurant at bay, you find regular table salt more cost effective?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Take your minimum velocity and maximum velocity, run them through a ballistics program. Look at the difference in the drop values for both velocities at 600 and 1000 yards, it will give you an idea if you can hold your shots in the X ring.

My method as well to show the "effect" of a higher ES/SD to folks that don't appreciate what you're trying to achieve.

I want single digit SD if at all possible for the longer range guns. I find it easier to achieve in the longer barreled rifles, whereas I really don't sweat it than much in the 300 yds and under hunt rifles/carbines.

Which doesn’t account for barrel harmonics.

You both are assuming the barrel is “pointing” in the exact same place when the bullet exits to lay that much weight to velocities to calculate drop

In a proper node, higher velocity rounds exit quicker when the muzzle is pointing lower, but drop less

Lower velocity rounds exit later when the muzzle is pointing higher, but drop more

The cumulative effect is minimal vertical dispersion and is the characteristic of the best load
No dumbazz, that's not what I'm saying. I understand that velocity is a variable and that the barrel is in constant motion. You want to time your muzzle exit when the muzzle movement slows down and is just before it's peak. I've played with a chronograph, quick load AND pressure trace, have seen how velocity changes exit time...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Teal
Been doing more reading on SD and ES in a load and why you want them to be low. Makes sense.

I'm wondering what you all consider to be "low" for this number? That is - if a guy gets to 10, consider that good or is good actually 7 and great 5 - so to speak.

Where do you like to be? Is there a floor where you'll just never get under?

There will be much said on this thread.

What I will state is that almost every last time I was shooting at 600 yards and watched the chrono the load that produced the lowest ES and SD and then went and looked at the holes in the paper I was never happy. The lowest ES and SD just never produced best accuracy.

That said nothing wrong with low numbers. In fact they are good.

But it changed my attitude totally. Run the chrono sometime so I know what ballpark speed.

But test ammo at a far distance and go by how tight repeatable groups are. Looking for weird flyers to indicate IFFY load. And watching for round groups as a whole. Got to where I played mostly with primers and neck tension and pretty much ignored the chrono and paid attention to actual groups.

What we found is you can have low numbers and bad groups. Or you can have decent numbers and good groups. I know what I want.

Great post. I can tell some stories about newbie handloaders shooting schidt for groups and coming up to me at the range and telling me their sd and es numbers were low. I finally got tired of one guy bugging me, as he was having issues with his "precision" rifle and loads and only relying on the chronograph. I told him to "throw the fu cking chrono away or leave it at home. Shoot your rifle and let it tell you what it likes". I know that sounds harsh, but don't ask me stupid questions more than about 2 times. You may not like the answer I give you!!! That goes for anyone.

I don't use a chrono that gives me es and sd numbers, as I could really care less. I know what my ammo and rifles do at just about any distance because I test them. I have the hard numbers on paper. The lazy fu cks don't want to do that and are looking for an easy way out. There is no replacement for actually getting out there and doing the shooting.

The only time my loads were tested, was when I was at a range/rock quarry in the national forest and a guy wanted to see what es sd numbers my loads were producing. He kept eyeballing my groups and was struggling big time with his loads and rifle. The funny thing about that was it was a Tikka. One of the early superlight 223's with the fast twist barrel. I was shooting one of my Winchesters, before I even owned a Tikka (around 2009-2011). Actually my competition rifle at the time. A souped up Winchester (FN PBR XP), that a lot of SWAT/police guys used back in the day. When he had me run my loads across his chrono, I fired 10 shots into a cluster of about .6" on paper. The sd was 7 or 9, and the extreme spread was small as well. He asked, "what is it exactly you do again". I said, what do you mean? He said, "what do you do for a living". I said I'm a "welder". He shook his head and said, "well you just made an aeronautical engineer look pretty bad!!". Are the sd/es numbers of my other loads pretty small?? I don't know, but I know they shoot good:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That guy is actually a friend of mine now. Funny, the people you meet out in the national forest, or at ranges. Some get it, some don't..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erickg
It reveals everything. Hate to have to go over it again because you know how it works

Groups are shot with the loads in the node and invariably one of the loads will shoot great with minimal vertical

CumGargler, how's ES/SD on this ammo? Does it over penetrate or not offer enough penetration on the thick armor cockroaches wear? Is it worth the cost, or going through as much as you do to keep the hoards of roaches in your restaurant at bay, you find regular table salt more cost effective?

I always use the high performance stuff.

It’s like a Nosler Partition for them tough bastids

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Take your minimum velocity and maximum velocity, run them through a ballistics program. Look at the difference in the drop values for both velocities at 600 and 1000 yards, it will give you an idea if you can hold your shots in the X ring.

My method as well to show the "effect" of a higher ES/SD to folks that don't appreciate what you're trying to achieve.

I want single digit SD if at all possible for the longer range guns. I find it easier to achieve in the longer barreled rifles, whereas I really don't sweat it than much in the 300 yds and under hunt rifles/carbines.

Which doesn’t account for barrel harmonics.

You both are assuming the barrel is “pointing” in the exact same place when the bullet exits to lay that much weight to velocities to calculate drop

In a proper node, higher velocity rounds exit quicker when the muzzle is pointing lower, but drop less

Lower velocity rounds exit later when the muzzle is pointing higher, but drop more

The cumulative effect is minimal vertical dispersion and is the characteristic of the best load

Not just drop though.. the slower bullet also spends more time in the wind.. correct? In theory you should pick up more horizontal dispersion also, say with a 3 or 9 o'clock with the slower bullet.

And the way I learned it, the lower velocity exiting at a higher point in the barrels recoil, really had a greater effect when it comes to handgun velocities.

I don't think anybody has said that "good numbers trump accuracy", just that some want both.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by erickg

I always use the high performance stuff.

It’s like a Nosler Partition for them tough bastids

Well played, you're nearly tolerable when Burns isn't around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
Been doing more reading on SD and ES in a load and why you want them to be low. Makes sense.

I'm wondering what you all consider to be "low" for this number? That is - if a guy gets to 10, consider that good or is good actually 7 and great 5 - so to speak.

Where do you like to be? Is there a floor where you'll just never get under?

If you don't intend to shoot long range, mostly, it doesn't matter much.

Texas
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not just drop though.. the slower bullet also spends more time in the wind.. correct? In theory you should pick up more horizontal dispersion also, say with a 3 or 9 o'clock with the slower bullet..

Flight time differences would probably be measured in 1/100ths or 1/1000’s of a second, so time exposed to wind wouldn’t make any significant difference for horizontal dispersion

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all for the conversation, it's been....interesting.

I realize, I've probably not been as clear as I wanted and that's ok, sparked some interesting conversation and that's the point of this.

If things stack up right this summer, hope to get some time out at Lodi for shooting longer than I typically can.

Me

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Not just drop though.. the slower bullet also spends more time in the wind.. correct? In theory you should pick up more horizontal dispersion also, say with a 3 or 9 o'clock with the slower bullet..

Flight time differences would probably be measured in 1/100ths or 1/1000’s of a second, so time exposed to wind wouldn’t make any significant difference for horizontal dispersion

Just for conversation sake I ran the numbers with Strelok Pro using my 6mm SLR data (think 6mmC +P) Berger 105 Hybrid (fictional load, my load has an SD of 7) and a 10MPH cross wind, same conditions. I used the high and low MVs for the fictional load.

So at 600 you're looking at 2.3" delta in drop and .5" less wind.

at 1000 you're looking at 8.8" delta in drop and 1.4" in wind delta.

Again, I don't think anybody has said that stats trump accuracy, just that for the longer distances it's better to have both good accuracy and stats.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 02/26/24.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just for conversation sake I ran the numbers with Strelok Pro using my 6mm SLR data (think 6mmC +P) Berger 105 Hybrid (fictional load, my load has an SD of 7) and a 10MPH cross wind, same conditions. I used the high and low MVs for the fictional load.

So at 600 you're looking at 2.3" delta in drop and .5" less wind.

at 1000 you're looking at 8.8" delta in drop and 1.4" in wind delta.

Again, I don't think anybody has said that stats trump accuracy, just that for the longer distances it's better to have both good accuracy and stats.

50 fps between shots is a pretty big spread. I would put that load in the “poor” column

Nevertheless, even with that load, you can see that windage isn’t significant unless you think you can actually hold your POA to the accuracy of 1/2” at 600 yards or 1.4” at 1000 yards

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that’s saying nothing about your ability to read the wind accurately to .5” at 600 or 1.4” at 1000

Which I submit is a pipe dream

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
And that’s saying nothing about your ability to read the wind accurately to .5” at 600 or 1.4” at 1000

Which I submit is a pipe dream

I agree..

But even with a prefect wind call, all other things being equal, the higher SD load will most often have more dispersion. In my extreme example; 8.8"x 1.4" at 1000 between the fast and slow rounds in that group, IF everything else went perfectly.

So again, why not try for accuracy and good stats when shooting the longer distances?

BTW, during load development for this rifle I had serval loads that were over 50 FPS spreads and with the same brass prep OAL etc. :

Stats - Average 3005.55 fps
Stats - Highest 3036.58 fps
Stats - Lowest 2983.59 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 52.99 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 25.67 fps

Stats - Average 3047.84 fps
Stats - Highest 3074.99 fps
Stats - Lowest 3016.53 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 58.46 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 24.09 fps

And all were sub MOA at 100yds. So IF I stopped when I achieved good accuracy, without looking at stats...

Last edited by Chuck_R; 02/26/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which rules…

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In my experience, where the muzzle is at in it's cycle when the base of the bullet clears is worth far more than SD/ES numbers.

I shot this yesterday with a new gun. At the lowest charge weight tried (pictured), the group impacted a full 1/4" above the next 5 groups, each increasing .3 gr. more powder, moved progressively downward. Five incrementally higher charge weight groups later, the muzzle bottomed out in it's cycle and the gun shot small again. One more charge increase and the group started to climb.

With a larger target and moderate accuracy requirements, several types of load development seem to work. As the target gets smaller and the accuracy demands increase, many of the 'truths' that people think they're seeing 'on target' are simply proven not to be reliable.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Al, good info.

Guy

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.