Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There is a farmer near me that has more money than God.

He farms a fairly large piece of ground and does it all with older machinery that he fixes/maintains himself. Still lives on the old home place and keeps it up nice.

Old International tractor pulling a 6 row planter. His neighbors all have new machines and huge disks and planters. I know who has the money....

Great old guy that knows how to make it work for him.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Interest on a banked million is marginally enough today to carry a family through all of life's events. If one could get 8% return annually and not touch principle, that's only $80k, so the sail boats, planes, and Jaguars are likely out. One could squeak by, but would not be the talk of the town.

Cookie and I worked hard, saved some, have pensions, some IRA's, and social security, and are probably spending about a million bucks about every 11 or 12 years. We are comfortable, still saving some, but not living high on the hog by any means. Inflation is a concern too.

If I could time travel and return, I'd go to the future, look up my obituary, and come back knowing just how long my resources have to last. Could die tomorrow or last another 25 years. That uncertainty keeps me on the conservative side.

Win one of those substantial lotteries though, and I'd likely never post here again. I'd be way to busy traveling and doing sh-t.
8% on $3,600,000 would be $288k a year without touching principal. Not sure how realistic expecting 8% return over a long period is though. Figure 5% as an easy number, that’s $180k and still a reasonable amount of you don’t live crazy extravagantly.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My best friend used to be a real estate broker. He said you would be amazed at the rich people in this town that are upside down on everything they own. He said you can never tell what someone is worth looking at where they live,what they drive, or the toys they have.
I used to hunt and trap on an old man's place and visited with him often.
He was a millionaire, He lived in a small house trailer overlooking Eleven Point River. Had a 14 foot jon boat tied up with a 7.5 mercury on it. He retired at 40.
He told me then everytime you make or get some money save some of it and put it to work. He was right.
Wife worked at financial planners office for a year, there was a local doctor who took home over$700k a year and was tapped out on credit and was dipping into his 401k

Wealth is relative.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm basically pretty rich and here's what works for me.

Keep driving your old vehicle.

Keep living in your old house.

Keep working and making money.

Keep living like a king at home.

Keep humble bragging about being rich.

And watch out for the sudden appearance of brand new long lost relatives.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Friend of a friend…

Oral surgeon…

Oral surgeon + something else.( i don’t recall ) not many are both.

Most down to earth fellow you’ll meet.

He’ll tell his story….

Literally came from a trailer park.
Grew up with ppl telling him “John, you’ll never be anything”

He’s successful now. But you wouldn’t know it talking to him.

Throws hella a crawfish boil each year…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
My best friend used to be a real estate broker. He said you would be amazed at the rich people in this town that are upside down on everything they own. He said you can never tell what someone is worth looking at where they live,what they drive, or the toys they have.
He was a millionaire, He lived in a small house trailer overlooking Eleven Point River. Had a 14 foot jon boat tied up with a 7.5 mercury on it. He retired at 40.
He told me then everytime you make or get some money save some of it and put it to work. He was right.
Wife worked at financial planners office for a year, there was a local doctor who took home over$700k a year and was tapped out on credit and was dipping into his 401k

Wealth is relative.
😦

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Wealth is relative.
😦

well said EB

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Average person at retirement age has $476,000 in savings.

The financial industry will try to convince you that you have to work your entire life and have millions of dollars in a 401(k). That is so they can skim their percentage off the top and make money but the reality is you really don’t need as much as you think you do, if you’re not an idiot with money.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Average person at retirement age has $476,000 in savings.

The financial industry will try to convince you that you have to work your entire life and have millions of dollars in a 401(k). That is so they can skim their percentage off the top and make money but the reality is you really don’t need as much as you think you do, if you’re not an idiot with money.

Empower says the average retirement account they oversee for people ages 65-70 is $185,858. That’s absolutely nothing! That’s just over $20k a year for 10 years when accounting for gains. Most Americans don’t save.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jetboi you a millionaire?
Depends on who you ask. Someone’s always got more money than you. To some, I’m nothing more than a peasant. The 415(C) limits are $69k this year, with an additional $7500 in the catch-up. I’m under 50, so I can’t do the catch-up, but I have been hitting the 415(c) limits for over 10 years.

Last edited by jetjockey; 02/27/24.
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ya under 50 myself I’m probly worth north of a mill😃

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Or

Your wife's insurance policy ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Good for you. By the time I put money into 401k’s, brokerage accounts, 529’s, and back door the Roth, well, I’m pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Buddies mom passed last year.
She worked for DeKalb co schools and retired in the mid 90’s.

His Dad died around 1980 and she was a single mom. Never remarried. Woman bought a new Crown Vic about every 10 years and that was about it.

Buddy about schit when he went through the finances etc….She had millions (as in more than a couple) dollars packed away.

Steady saving, some good fortune in investments, and living within your means has left a lot of wealth with a lot of the Boomer and Gen x crowd.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Keep your 2nd house and your first wife, and with a little luck, you’ll retire a millionaire. Problem is retiring with $1 million in your 401k doesn’t really go that far these days.

Go twiddle Schumer's wife's penis, you communist chkunt.

You're not fooling anybody here and nobody wants you here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Keep your 2nd house and your first wife, and with a little luck, you’ll retire a millionaire. Problem is retiring with $1 million in your 401k doesn’t really go that far these days.

I’m still living rent free I see.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

What ever you got to tell yourself chickenshit fringe.

Slink back over to DU.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the poorest people I know have the most money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nah. I just hate (and I mean HATE) liberal commie twats And I feel obligated to call your chkunt ass out every time I see you here. You're a pos and I like to make sure that guys who maybe don't come on here very often know exactly what a scumbag you are.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Having absolutely zero regard for money will probably bite me in the ass some day.

Nothing I can do about it.

I am MAGA.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,131
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.