Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Full3r
Lots of interesting thoughts on this. We are low income according to talking heads, however we have 6 children, newest just born on Friday. All born after we were married. I am the only income, wife stays home and raises kids and manages the house. I work as a blue collar maintence guy, stated on tools, went to night school, became a supervisor and now a project manager since I started after the military 8 years ago.

Don’t have all the fancy toys, but have 2 newer paid off vehicles, a utility tractor, a classic car and a $475k house that we should be debt free on in 2 years. Moderate(think cheap) vacations, I do as much diy house work as possible, as well as vehicles. Try not to buy a bunch of stuff that just takes up room.

Took a gross pay cut of 25k with with project management role, but I only work 40hrs a week, not on call. As a tech I would avg 1400hrs of OT. And have way more time at home. In return I make 175% per hour that I made as a tech. Also get a yearly bonus slated to be 10%. This year company did well and we got 17.5% of gross.

Spent a lot growing up and starting out but want to be able to enjoy the kids and family, and so far that is well worth the pay cut. And no even with kids we don’t qualify for any subsidies or govt help/free ins.

6 kids with the new just born

you're doing your job man! congrats

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gary_3
More than I spend.

+1

That is livin' life. Worked hard to get here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What, like in Biden dollars?
You bankin' all that money you makin' up there? Sending lots home? wink
The 101.5-hour weeks are adding up. Trudging ahead with plans laid until about May. Should've been doing this crap 30 years ago! Hope you are doing well.
Coolio Dude.

I know what you mean. Last job I had a good number of pay periods with 120 extra hours in two weeks.

Sucks being away from home though.

Good luck with it.
Appreciate it Geno!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Apparently, a hell of a lot less than you guys.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just over 70k. Most I ever made was in Alaska at 85k. I would be fine with half that if I could retire.

β€œIf more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Be careful that your outgo does not exceed your income

because

your upkeep can be your downfall.

I'm of the opinion, it's not how much you make, but how much you keep.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
oh [bleep] with the cow herd , everybody knows how much under the table cash cows make... πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Last edited by ldholton; 02/26/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WEll Sam I am 77 call myself semi retarded and semi retired. i work for myself have excavators and gravel truck ,work when and where i can. I can pull in from $80,000 to 130 a year but 30% goes to fuel $ 30,ooo a year for rent food and utilities $12,000 for licences and fees, up to $ 18,000 for repairs [tires brakes oil changes inspections ect]. no employies dont want them [headachs]. then there are construction materials over and above regular costs .
I am not overly agressive in looking for big jobs anymore 7-8 hours a day are fine ,not 12 -16. own all my stuff.

norm.

s

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thank you to those that gave honest replies.

Remson, your truthful reply I find very interesting.

My sister is a lawyer in the bay area and she used to make major cash. But she tired of the crazy calls at 2AM from the higher ups and finally couldn't take it any longer.

She now has a M-F job where she does legal work for one of the counties down there and she is much happier.

Same deal with my brother. He is a dentist and went from running his own practice in southern CA to working for a practice in South Dakota. He is also happier.

It's all about perspective. My mom arrived in the US with what she was wearing and twenty cents (I don't recall the story of that, but it was given to her before she was released from the concentration camp) and my dad's family had a similar story. We all worked hard when we were kids, from paper routes to delivering furniture and hauling scrap metal. I used to get a $3.50 paycheck for the paper route (weekly) and I got paid $20 a day for the delivery/scrap metal work. My first real job after college paid $15k a year in the late 1980s. When I got out of law school, I was making big bucks at the time $60k to start, and when I left NYC I was making over $300k a year, then it went up from there in CA. The price for that was, as your sister experienced, 24/7 working and ridiculous amounts of stress.

It's nice to be able to do something like walk into a car dealer and drive off with a $140k car without even thinking about whether the check you just wrote will clear. It's even nicer to wake up in the morning knowing that whatever you have is paid for and you are happiest driving your older pickup to go hunting and never having to give a second though to how many emails/texts/voicemails will be waiting for you when you get home. I wouldn't change a thing about the years working my butt off for big money, but that's something folks should do between about age 25 and 50. If you keep chasing money after that age, you have lost the game.

Always enjoy your personal stories and really enjoy the family history stories, Remsen.

I guess I'm just a "got lucky" guy. The day I got lucky was the day I told the corporate weasels to pound sand when they told me I couldn't park my SUV in their lot with my personal business' sign on the back. They needed me a lot worse than I needed them. Did waaay better on my own and never looked back. There isn't a single one of those sonsabitches that I would want to sit down and break bread with.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I could retire and collect Social.
I can't do that.
I need to stay busy.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of interesting thoughts on this. We are low income according to talking heads, however we have 6 children, newest just born on Friday. All born after we were married. I am the only income, wife stays home and raises kids and manages the house. I work as a blue collar maintence guy, stated on tools, went to night school, became a supervisor and now a project manager since I started after the military 8 years ago.

Don’t have all the fancy toys, but have 2 newer paid off vehicles, a utility tractor, a classic car and a $475k house that we should be debt free on in 2 years. Moderate(think cheap) vacations, I do as much diy house work as possible, as well as vehicles. Try not to buy a bunch of stuff that just takes up room.

Took a gross pay cut of 25k with with project management role, but I only work 40hrs a week, not on call. As a tech I would avg 1400hrs of OT. And have way more time at home. In return I make 175% per hour that I made as a tech. Also get a yearly bonus slated to be 10%. This year company did well and we got 17.5% of gross.

Spent a lot growing up and starting out but want to be able to enjoy the kids and family, and so far that is well worth the pay cut. And no even with kids we don’t qualify for any subsidies or govt help/free ins.
There is something I very much like in this post.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can't do that.
I need to stay busy.
Hard to understand how people would not be busy if they quit working. We have enough on lists work wise and play wise that we could do 7 days a week until we die right now and never run out of things to do.

Will be super glad when we don't have to waste the time of actually going to work but can get our work etc... done without working like fools after normal work hours.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Like I said elsewhere... it sure is expensive these days, just to be dirt poor.

At the same time, I'm not like many of these bums around here, that live on drugs and being high all day, never contributed anything to society.... but they get by living on welfare, under 4 to 5 different names. Those are the modern American rich.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can't do that.
I need to stay busy.
Hard to understand how people would not be busy if they quit working. We have enough on lists work wise and play wise that we could do 7 days a week until we die right now and never run out of things to do.

Will be super glad when we don't have to waste the time of actually going to work but can get our work etc... done without working like fools after normal work hours.
I agree, i think you can stay busy and still cash that check. I don’t know how many folks I knew that died waiting for full retirement.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC

Perfect example of an actual REAL AMERICAN Paul. An example of the type of man this nation is losing rapidly in numbers.

Kudoes to you Full3r. Thank you for your service, and thank you for your Service and dedication to what use to be a work ethic in this country, and kudoes for being a good father and husband to your family. Extended with much respect my friend!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC

Yeah, me too !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
I am gonna answer this question when I get to a keyboard. I looked back at my prior answers, I can be a real dick!
Can be???

More like you established the criteria for being one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Big CONGRATS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am gonna answer this question when I get to a keyboard. I looked back at my prior answers, I can be a real dick!
Can be???

Come on Geno, I'm being serious here. I mean, I had to read some of those replies twice because they looked like something Conrad would've written.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can be???

Come on Geno, I'm being serious here. I mean, I had to read some of those replies twice because they looked like something Conrad would've written.
Twice? Is that all?

I mean, there's a couple others around here that require an interpreter with a cheat sheet for Campfire Hieroglyphics to figure out.

Then there was kawi.

I miss kawi, especially late on Friday or Sat nights.

In it is contentment

Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.