Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bass will nest close to the bank with their nest being circles in the gravel a couple of feet wide. Of course, the male bass will actively protect the nest from predators and keep it clean.

I read in a golf magazine a ling time ago. A guy was hitting to a green that had a water hazard right up to the edge. He hit it a little fat and watched his ball hit the water a few feet from the bank. Ten seconds or so goes by and all of the sudden his ball popped back up on the bank. When he got up to the ball and looked in the water, there was a nest there with a bass that was about three pounds in it. The ball had landed in the nest and the male bass had picked it up and spit it out of the nest.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/28/24.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I was fishing the headwaters of the Mississippi one time. I was standing on the rocks that you can walk across with the rest of the tourons.

Pretty soon, I heard a yelp and some splashing/thrashing around. I looked over and saw an 8 foot female bull shark with what appeared to be a full grown Irish Setter in it's mouth. The lady on the other end of the leash was hysterical and screaming.

Her husband did not give a schidt.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I was fishing the headwaters of the Mississippi one time. I was standing on the rocks that you can walk across with the rest of the tourons.

Pretty soon, I heard a yelp and some splashing/thrashing around. I looked over and saw an 8 foot female bull shark with what appeared to be a full grown Irish Setter in it's mouth. The lady on the other end of the leash was hysterical and screaming.

Yeah, they don't get much size to them in skinny water. Seen 15 footers in Pool 9.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Never weighed one. Never heard many that did. It was measure em and turn em back mostly.

50 inches is the goal in AK. In the right places its not hard to hit 50. At least some years ago out in the bush.
This. The Novi has pike to 60" in it. When they swim to your bait they do not make a vee-wake... there are 5 or 6 wakes headed in your direction 😉

*Nowitna*

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Yeah, they don't get much size to them in skinny water. Seen 15 footers in Pool 9.

Those must be Tiger Sharks.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
I've another fish tale. True, not stretched even a bit. I probably wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen it.

I was on the opposite side from our salmon counting camp on Good News River in SW Alaska, 1981, fishing for dinner when on the camp side of river I saw a fish jump out of the water onto a sloping bank 18 inches or so above water surface, flop once or twice, then back into the river.

Repeat twice more.

I figured it was a fish with a tangled line- a couple guided drift boats had come thru a couple hours before, down from Redfish Lake, so I waded over to investigate.

Just in front of the sloped overhang cutbank was a big drowned willow, with a washtub sized opening in the center. Figuring I'd lose my lure (a Krokodile or R&W spoon- I forget which - I jigged it down in the opening, just for the heck of it, and it got taken. No fight to the fish as I easily lead it out to a 6 inch wide, foot long "beach" just above the cut-bank and landed it.

6 1/2 pound hen rainbow - supper for 3 men and some for the Lab!

She had several voles in her stomach, one in her gullet, and another in the upper throat or mouth, with the tail hanging out the corner of her mouth.

Greed can kill you... and being over-stuffed makes one lethargic...

Nearest I could figure from the sign - a vole runway near the crest of the overhanging cutback - she was skylining voles on their trail and leaping ashore to nail them, then flopping her way back into water.

I've posted this here before, and it was published in a letter to some outdoor magazine - Western Outdoors I think.

The editor (Steve?) didn't believe me either.... but that's OK... I saw it. smile
Riley and I were pike fishing Alexander Lake late one summer. It was hot and dusty. We saw a bunch of pike lined up side-by-side along a flat beach. A vole came out of a grass hummock and ran along the beach right in front of the pike. Most of the pike launched a little late before one got it right. They flopped a bit to get back in the water. Then they lined back up.

I do have skull picture from a lingcod, but it was just a 98 pounder. (Well okay, 65)

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hillestadj

A Tiger Shark...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Never weighed one. Never heard many that did. It was measure em and turn em back mostly.

50 inches is the goal in AK. In the right places its not hard to hit 50. At least some years ago out in the bush.
This. The Novi has pike to 60" in it. When they swim to your bait they do not make a vee-wake... there are 5 or 6 wakes headed in your direction 😉

*Nowitna*

Do you fish with seafire?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

*Nowitna*
My father wrote several articles in Alaska Magazine on the Novi back about 50 years. He was friends with Homer Sutton, the FAA chief there. My father bought a 760 from him and ended up having it rebored to 35WAI and restocked it for me as a college graduation gift.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
love chasing pike. Just got a friend her first pike

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't have any 60 lb northerns or 45 lb walleyes. However, One time I was fishing for flathead catfish on the Wisconsin river one night . The clicker goes off and I find a channel cat in the net. It was about 8 lbs. I take off the hook and notice a bird in it's mouth. Another time my brother ad I were fishing in the Quetico canoe area ( Ontario) . He had a decent walleye to the boat and a northern about 30" came in and stole our dinner. Another time, on June 19, 1998. I was again fishing for flatheads when the clicker goes off. I set the hook . I was fishing in brush, so set the drag with a pliers so there was no giving him line.. I could hear line stretching like crazy on my cat rig, an Oceanmaster rod with a Senator 113 real loaded with 80 lb test.. After abut 5 seconds, it became clear this was not just an ordinary cat. I could hardly hold the pole and it was horizontal , just then it lets go and I find out he broke my Eagle Claw 254 N 8/0 hook.. I guess I am just an ordinary fisherman . Also, when I was running a trap line when I was 15 , I got a skunk in the trap and it sprayed me. I smelled real bad , went home and took a shower . I got to school just in time for class. Just then, they all started to gag and told me I smell like a skunk aso they kicked me out of school for the day.. Does that count?

Last edited by ihookem; 02/28/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
headed back in June. Ontario. Caught 100's of pike over a weeks time. 41" was biggest. What would that weigh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
I don't have any 60 lb northerns or 45 lb walleyes. However, One time I was fishing for flathead catfish on the Wisconsin river one night . The clicker goes off and I find a channel cat in the net. It was about 8 lbs. I take off the hook and notice a bird in it's mouth. Another time my brother ad I were fishing in the Quetico canoe area ( Ontario) . He had a decent walleye to the boat and a northern about 30" came in and stole our dinner. Another time, on June 19, 1998. I was again fishing for flatheads when the clicker goes off. I set the hook . I was fishing in brush, so set the drag with a pliers so there was no giving him line.. I could hear line stretching like crazy on my cat rig, an Oceanmaster rod with a Senator 113 real loaded with 80 lb test.. After abut 5 seconds, it became clear this was not just an ordinary cat. I could hardly hold the pole and it was horizontal , just then it lets go and I find out he broke my Eagle Claw 254 N 8/0 hook.. I guess I am just an ordinary fisherman . Also, when I was running a trap line when I was 15 , I got a skunk in the trap and it sprayed me. I smelled real bad , went home and took a shower . I got to school just in time for class. Just then, they all started to gag and told me I smell like a skunk aso they kicked me out of school for the day.. Does that count?
Things in yellow cats. Buddy caught a 63 pound yellow. When they cleaned it the belly was big. Cut it open. Possum in the belly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I have caught some toothy Northern N/A fish.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blairvt
41" was biggest. What would that weigh?
At least 35 sea-lbs.

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
A length to weight conversion table I have used states a 41 inch pike would weigh 17.71 lbs. I’ve found that to be a little light based on actually weighing on a digital scale, fish I had measured. Your 41 is chunky! That same table states that a 50 would weigh 32.73 lbs. I don’t have any experience with 50 inch pike! I’ve always thought of them as 200 inch whitetails! I’ve never seen either.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My son and I have caught some toothy Northern N/A fish.

]

A couple muskies in there to boot. As for me , I love going for big northerns. My biggest is only 36" . It was caught in Cananda. I have several others in the low 30" . My next haunt for big northerns ore the Mississippi River, and The Bay Of Green Bay.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an old picture around here somewhere, (my house is being remodeled, so don't know where) of my grandfather, great-uncle, and dad's cousin with a bobsled load of northern pike. There were at least thirty pike, as long as the width of the bobsled, about 48". The picture was taken sometime prior to February 1920, at Poplar Creek on Minnesota's Northwest Angle, Lake of the Woods.

Last edited by DHN; 02/28/24.

Dale

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bobmar
A length to weight conversion table I have used states a 41 inch pike would weigh 17.71 lbs. I’ve found that to be a little light based on actually weighing on a digital scale, fish I had measured. Your 41 is chunky! That same table states that a 50 would weigh 32.73 lbs. I don’t have any experience with 50 inch pike! I’ve always thought of them as 200 inch whitetails! I’ve never seen either.
we caught several that long but that one definitely had more girth than the others.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,267
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.