Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Original owner, Darrel Whittaker (deceased - 2014) son and partner will be opening a new gun shop in a different location but not far. Comments on Facebook regarding the inventory at the original Whittaker's Guns say last time they were there about all they saw was pretty much just fishing gear... frown

New gun store coming to county’s west side

[Linked Image from cdn.owensborotimes.com]
Chris Whittaker (left) and Luke Kuegel stand on the site where they will be opening a new gun store on the west side of Daviess County. | Photo by Ryan Richardson

A new gun store is coming to the west side of Daviess County, under the ownership of Luke Kuegel and Chris Whittaker. The duo promises a unique shop that will offer upwards of 2,000 guns.

The business, which they’re calling KWG, will be located on Worthington Road next to the Kuegel family’s farm shop. Worthington Road is across from Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline, just west of the roundabout that connects KY 56, KY 81, and West Parrish Avenue.

The building — a 7,200-square-foot pole barn — will sit about a quarter-mile off KY 56 on Worthington Road, across from Wyndcrest Drive. It will be on a 5-acre lot, with Kuegel saying there will be plenty of parking.

The owners expect groundwork to begin in the coming weeks and hope to be open by the start of summer.

Asked why they decided to open the store, Kuegel said simply: “We felt like there was an opening in the market.”

He said the inventory will set KWG apart from other retailers within a day’s drive. Both owners said that’s about how far away their primary market will be.

“My friends and I have traveled down to Bowling Green or Greenville to shop for guns. Within an hour’s radius, you’ll pull that market easily because that’s a day trip,” Kuegel said. “… But Bowling Green’s store concentrates mostly on tactical and Greenville concentrates mostly on hunting. We’re looking to combine that into a one-stop shop.”

The owners said they plan to stock about 1,500-2,000 guns.

“From a $200 gun to a $10,000 gun, we plan on having it all,” Whittaker said. “Maybe not in the beginning, but we plan on doing the whole gambit. We want somebody to walk in here and be able to find anything they want to find. And if we don’t have it in stock, we’ll be able to order it.”

They’ll also sell ammo, holsters, reloading equipment, components, and more.

KWG won’t include a gun range at this time. They said they’re open to trying to add one in the future, but if that were to ever work out it would likely be built at another location, they said.

The owners said they’ll be creating a Facebook page closer to an opening date, and they’ll consistently post information about the business there.

For now, they are just focused on getting the store up and running.

Whittaker said, “We’re already ready for people to come down and see us.”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Is that where shortactionsmoker works?
Member here.

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/27/24.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Is that where shortactionsmacker works?
Member here.
You're better than this

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No I'm not

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just was informed that the Whittaker family sold their interest in Whittaker's Guns a while back and although it still goes by Whittaker Guns the Whittaker family have not been involved in the operation of the business at all since. No idea who bought it.

Last edited by joken2; 02/27/24.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by joken2
I just was informed that the Whittaker family sold their interest in Whittaker's Guns a while back and have not been involved in the operation of the business at all since. No idea who bought it.
That explains alot

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I always heard they are really good folks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Shortacionsmoker;

Still alive and kicking. Maintaining inventory has been a struggle. The shelves will fill back up this fall. The online ads don’t always mean we don’t have it in the store. We just don’t have the quantity in the store that we move online. Upper end goods have been a struggle to maintain and shipping has been dismal. 9-12 days on most restock. We probably have 4-500 guns in transit all the time. What most don’t realize is the capacity of the new store is far greater than the old store. In times past we’d get 10 of an item on allocation. That means a gun on the shelf would be there until we sold the last from overstock. Now we get one or two of the items on allocation and they’re gone the same day.

Covid was tough on us, but we’ll be around for a long time.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was there about two weeks ago and the in-store inventory was way down. The gun racks were as bare as I've ever seen them. Other inventory seemed to be pretty much as it usually is. I asked one of the guys there about the lack of guns, and he said they'd just had a big run the past few months, hunting seasons and Christmas combined. He said the restocking proccess was running weeks behind, and that they hoped to start getting the inventory back to normal around the time that people started getting their tax refund checks, as that was another big season for them. That should be soon.

That new store that's referenced in the OP is going to be close to Whitakers curent location. A guy can kill two birds with one stone............three if he's inclined to eat at the Moonlite.

Last edited by JamesJr; 02/27/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my Montana from SaS at Whittakers. Great guy and place to deal with - hope it continues.

Me

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have bought guns from Whittakers before. They used to handle Volquartsen firearms, and had good prices on them. They were very good people to deal with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Their website is down and the Facebook presence gone.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can't say about Whitaker Country as I haven't been there in a while. But hear shortaction smoker loud & clear about inventory getting stripped.

I was in Ky. gun Co. a few week ago & their long gun inv. appeared way low as well. Probably had half of what they had last summer.

J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I sure did miss the daily updated online posted listing of used guns that Whittaker's Guns had for sale back when Darrel was still alive and running the store. I used to check it almost every day. Just a simple detailed line listing with text entries of all used guns in stock for sale with price. No idea why Derrick (sp?) stopped advertising used guns for sale.

Kinda curious myself also how this new gun store per the OP believes they will have no problem getting and keeping such a sizable inventory of "upwards of 2000 guns" in stock when apparently the old Whittaker's Guns says they are struggling to get much of any inventory?

Indiana Gun Owners.com

Rimfire Central

The Highroad

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=943718290791665&set=pb.100054605072226.-2207520000[/img]

Pat Hayden Moving, LLC

Not every day we get to move a bear. We picked up this beautiful specimen from Whittaker Guns and delivered to the Owensboro Museum of Science and History. Fun fact: This bear lived to be 18 years old and came from Alaska.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Kudos to Whitakers for having a bunch of Fieldcraft on sale and was even getting small batches of the rifles long after about everyone else was out of stock for months. I’m thinking they had a real good relationship with the Barretts or someone had dozens squirreled away NIB that they knew.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Shortacionsmoker;

Still alive and kicking. Maintaining inventory has been a struggle. The shelves will fill back up this fall. The online ads don’t always mean we don’t have it in the store. We just don’t have the quantity in the store that we move online. Upper end goods have been a struggle to maintain and shipping has been dismal. 9-12 days on most restock. We probably have 4-500 guns in transit all the time. What most don’t realize is the capacity of the new store is far greater than the old store. In times past we’d get 10 of an item on allocation. That means a gun on the shelf would be there until we sold the last from overstock. Now we get one or two of the items on allocation and they’re gone the same day.

Covid was tough on us, but we’ll be around for a long time.

What was the date of this post?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I was there about two weeks ago and the in-store inventory was way down. The gun racks were as bare as I've ever seen them. Other inventory seemed to be pretty much as it usually is. I asked one of the guys there about the lack of guns, and he said they'd just had a big run the past few months, hunting seasons and Christmas combined. He said the restocking proccess was running weeks behind, and that they hoped to start getting the inventory back to normal around the time that people started getting their tax refund checks, as that was another big season for them. That should be soon.

That new store that's referenced in the OP is going to be close to Whitakers curent location. A guy can kill two birds with one stone............three if he's inclined to eat at the Moonlite.
I can agree with your post except for one part. Why would anyone want to eat at the Moonlite? Boniest word test Barbeque I ever tried to eat. The fiddlers were pretty good though.
Take care!
Rick

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... That new store that's referenced in the OP is going to be close to Whitakers curent location. A guy can kill two birds with one stone............three if he's inclined to eat at the Moonlite.

This ^^^^^ ... Whittaker's is an 8 hour, 400 mile round trip for me. No way I'm driving past Moonlight and not eat...

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
All the good KY restaurants especially BBQ pits are really close to TN !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Their website is down and the Facebook presence gone.

Yep, doesn't look hopeful. I tried to take up for them, but seeing this ^^^, it doesn't look good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.