Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a 500 NE that shoots well often but throws flyers too many times,some up to 10 or more inches at 50yds.

I always use the proper load the rifle was regulated for.

If it not the rifle or the shooter what could be causing this?

The load I use is a compressed load of 110grs,IMR 4831.

I decided to switch to Norma brass instead of Hornady, load to starting load to reduce compression and recoil.

I also loaded them with North Fork cup point and going to give it a try next time out to see if I still get flyers.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/28/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
is the flyer always from the first barrel ... or second barrel? .... or random from either barrel?

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by buckstix
is the flyer always from the first barrel ... or second barrel? .... or random from either barrel?

The first for sure but I am not sure about the second.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If it used to shoot okay before, then maybe a muzzle has been damaged or something?

Mine shoots good with 106gn AR2209 (IMR4350 equivalent) with both 570gn and 450gn Woodleighs. I didn't have regulation load for my rifle (Merkel) but used loads from Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle". (His book doesn't include any loads for the 500NE using IMR4831 BTW. He tried other loads but only the AR2209/IMR4350 loads produced good regulation, or something like that) I've tried 600gn North Forks using 103gn AR2209 and the regulation was not as good as the others but still within acceptable specs. I had no published data for the 600gn and came up with that load myself.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
"If it used to shoot okay before, then maybe a muzzle has been damaged or something?"

It did this from the beginning-from when I bought it new.There isn't any damage to the muzzles.

I've made some really god shots with the rifle but there where times it failed to shoot at the wrong time.

IF I don't get it 100% reliable it will not go hunting again and I will use my bolt rifle instead.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/29/24.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
SS,

What brand is the DR? Is the problem both inconsistent accuracy and problems with action reliability? Has another shooter experienced with DRs shot it and experienced similar results as you have? Is the action off the face?

Since you bought it new, have you considered sending it to the maker for a check up? I’ve had a couple of DRs which easily shot to regulation with several loads. I was able to get max expected MVs with lower powder charges than you mentioned with powders in the 4350 burning rate.

What kind of MVs are you getting? Is the MV consistently close from each barrel? It’s unlikely they’ll be the same but they should be close. Have you chronographed each barrel?

More detailed info may help in diagnosing the problem.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
If it used to shoot okay before, then maybe a muzzle has been damaged or something?

Mine shoots good with 106gn AR2209 (IMR4350 equivalent) with both 570gn and 450gn Woodleighs. I didn't have regulation load for my rifle (Merkel) but used loads from Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle". (His book doesn't include any loads for the 500NE using IMR4831 BTW. He tried other loads but only the AR2209/IMR4350 loads produced good regulation, or something like that) I've tried 600gn North Forks using 103gn AR2209 and the regulation was not as good as the others but still within acceptable specs. I had no published data for the 600gn and came up with that load myself.

Thanks.I am going to try IMR 4350.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just a thought, it's not a Sabatti is it? (At one time they did a horrendous thing to try and get them to regulate but it only made things worse. That was some time ago and they learned that lesson I believe. A friend of mine has a Sabatti 470NE and all's good with it.)

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just a thought, it's not a Sabatti is it? (At one time they did a horrendous thing to try and get them to regulate but it only made things worse. That was some time ago and they learned that lesson I believe. A friend of mine has a Sabatti 470NE and all's good with it.)

After the Cabela's fiasco with Sabattis, they've really gotten their s hit in one sock. Their regulation is excellent and overall a great value for what you pay for them. They might not be a "best quality" British double, but they are nevertheless a good buy. And I was one of the many screwed by Cabelas with the screwed up barrels, but fortunately received a full refund,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
SS,

What brand is the DR? Is the problem both inconsistent accuracy and problems with action reliability? Has another shooter experienced with DRs shot it and experienced similar results as you have? Is the action off the face?

Since you bought it new, have you considered sending it to the maker for a check up? I’ve had a couple of DRs which easily shot to regulation with several loads. I was able to get max expected MVs with lower powder charges than you mentioned with powders in the 4350 burning rate.

What kind of MVs are you getting? Is the MV consistently close from each barrel? It’s unlikely they’ll be the same but they should be close. Have you chronographed each barrel?

More detailed info may help in diagnosing the problem.

Best I go to the range again and give you a detailed report.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I ordered a pound of IMR4350.It should be here early next week so I will shoot it next weekend.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI

After the Cabela's fiasco with Sabattis, they've really gotten their s hit in one sock. Their regulation is excellent and overall a great value for what you pay for them. They might not be a "best quality" British double, but they are nevertheless a good buy. And I was one of the many screwed by Cabelas with the screwed up barrels, but fortunately received a full refund,

Yes, it was Cabela's doing, but there must've been a Sabatti regulation issue to start with.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I ordered a pound of IMR4350.It should be here early next week so I will shoot it next weekend.

As posted above, it would be a good idea to have someone else shoot it too.

I test my loads from a standing rest - that way my body is in the same position that I normally shoot it in. Mind you another friend of mine has shot his from a lead sled while sitting, and accuracy and regulation worked just as well.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I went to the range today with my Searcy 500NE the best double rifle in the world.

I shot 106grs IMR 4831with Norma cases,Win primers and North Fork cup points.

I solved the issue with the flyers-it was the Hornady cases that were causing the problem.

It recoiled and handled like a dream.

Here is the group I shot at 50yds off the bench.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by swiftshot; 03/03/24.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What was wrong with the cases? Bad batch? I use Hornady without issues, and they last pretty well.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
What was wrong with the cases? Bad batch? I use Hornady without issues, and they last pretty well.

It could be that the compressed charge was deforming the case during the bullet seating operation.

I have another double that has much more serious issues.I will try using a starting load with that and see what happens.
The other is a 450NE and the load it was regulated with is really compressed even using a long drop tube.
Norma does not make cases for the 450 NE.I am going to use some new Hornady.I might look for another bullet besides the 480gr Woodleigh I am using.
Although I have not tested it, the 500gr Woodleigh I tested with my 458 is too soft or fragile.'
Anyone have good success with another bullet for the 450NE?

Last edited by swiftshot; 03/04/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
That was some great shooting and a nice looking rifle.Was that you?
Could be a better shot without sticks.

Last edited by swiftshot; 03/04/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was some great shooting and a nice looking rifle.Was that you?
Could be a better shot without sticks.

Open sights at that distance, the sticks are better than off hand…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

It could be that the compressed charge was deforming the case during the bullet seating operation.

I presume that you'll try the Hornady brass with the IMR4350 - shouldn't be a compressed load.

I've had deformed case compressed loads in my 458WM that otherwise worked okay BTW.

Well?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,486
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.