Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZtwins
Following this one….

If anyone has, or has had, an S&W and an XDM Elite, how do they compare??

I have the M&P 4 inch and the XDM Elite in the 3.8 inch. I prefer the feel of the M&P. They have both been exceptionally accurate and have functioned flawlessly. I find the grip length, because of the mag well bevel, annoying on the XDM Elite. I like both of them better than my G20 and G29. I haven't had the M&P long enough to trust it as much as the other three; but, so far, so good.

Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
] Much easier to take down than Glock. .

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I agree with most of it, but easier to take down than a Glock? Um no. The Smith requires a tool, which it comes with in the backstop of the grip, and requires moving an internal lever, and external lever, then removing the slide. On the Glock, pulls the slide release buttons down and remove the slide. No tool or levers needed.
The tool and lever (mickey mouse setup) are not required for takedown. Just pull the trigger instead of messing with the tool and the lever, then, it's easier than a glock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
] Much easier to take down than Glock. .

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I agree with most of it, but easier to take down than a Glock? Um no. The Smith requires a tool, which it comes with in the backstop of the grip, and requires moving an internal lever, and external lever, then removing the slide. On the Glock, pulls the slide release buttons down and remove the slide. No tool or levers needed.

NO. Actually, the M&P is stupidly easy to take down and none of that nonsense you are speaking of is necessary.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have to confess, my negative impression of the M&P 2.0 reliability at first was wrong. I had only .40 ammo and it worked perfectly in the Glock but not the Smith. However, for whatever reason the 10 mm ammo I got hold of wasn't happy in the M&P. There doesn't seem to be any economic advantage in shooting .40 anyway with10mm the same price. After putting in a3.5 lb disconnector in the Glock as well as a fiber optic front I came around to liking it ok, as the accuracy did improve. M&P's trigger and accuracy still wins. The grip shape is outstanding. It's lighter and easier to take down. Even an ounce of weight is better shifted to something more useful. And it's better looking. Also, a very big consideration to some might be hard cast bullets. They were so terrible in the Glock I traded them. I don't buy the werewolf advantage anymore but assume they would work better in the Smith. All said and done, if Grizzlies are to be expected and impossible to avoid, take the Glock. But if one is unlikely to climb in the truck with you, the M&P is more attractive on most if not all points.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is the accuracy of the 4 inch MP 10mm gun, pretty good with 200 grain hard cast? I still have my gen 4 G20 but it does not get a lot of use, I am not the best shot with it either.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cast bullets are almost never as accurate as jacketed ones for me. I'd expect groups to open slightly. The 4" shoots just as accurate as the 4.6" and the G20.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I own an M&P 10 compact and accuracy is very good shooting plain old Federal 180gr FMj....that load is plenty for any black bear, they aint hard to kill......Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes, I am thinking something a bit smaller would fit my needs better and get used more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I find the grip length, because of the mag well bevel, annoying on the XDM Elite.

I agree. But you know - you can remove that mag well. I took mine off and don't miss it. But mine is the 4.5", so there's that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I own an M&P 10 compact and accuracy is very good shooting plain old Federal 180gr FMj....that load is plenty for any black bear, they aint hard to kill......Hb
I discovered that 10 mm Underwood 180 hard cast didn't penetrate any better through boxes full of cardboard folders than Magtech 180 hollow points. Didn't fly straight in the G 20 either. Winchester white box .40 did nearly as well out of an M&P 2.0 compact .40 with shorter barrel. Interestingly the full metal jacket of white box, that totally encapsulates the lead, holds together really well plowing into wood. Some don't even deform. May not be werewolf vampire loads but looks like it would kill lesser threats.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cast bullets are almost never as accurate as jacketed ones for me. I'd expect groups to open slightly. The 4" shoots just as accurate as the 4.6" and the G20.
the g20 I have has meprolight adjustable sights on it, I shot it with 165 grain gold dot bullets, and it shot as good as I can, 3 inches at 15 yards, You are spot on regards the cast bullets, I never thought that to be a possibility before your post. The 4.0 inch smith appeals as it looks like it might be easier to carry and a bit lighter, however I would hate to get something better that turns out to be worse (reliability).

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I discovered that 10 mm Underwood 180 hard cast didn't penetrate any better through boxes full of cardboard folders than Magtech 180 hollow points. Didn't fly straight in the G 20 either. Winchester white box .40 did nearly as well out of an M&P 2.0 compact .40 with shorter barrel. Interestingly the full metal jacket of white box, that totally encapsulates the lead, holds together really well plowing into wood. Some don't even deform. May not be werewolf vampire loads but looks like it would kill lesser threats.

I often wonder if cardboard is a valid medium to test penetration in. I wonder if a flat point lead bullet would stop faster in cardboard that a round nose FMJ load?? Further I wonder if the reason for a flat point hard cast load might be that during its trip through an animals tissue would it not cause more destruction, faster bleeding, quicker death?? Again, just wondering as I am not an expert on any of this

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I often wonder if cardboard is a valid medium to test penetration in. I wonder if a flat point lead bullet would stop faster in cardboard that a round nose FMJ load?? Further I wonder if the reason for a flat point hard cast load might be that during its trip through an animals tissue would it not cause more destruction, faster bleeding, quicker death?? Again, just wondering as I am not an expert on any of this

Autopsy reports are the best guide to determine projectile effectiveness. Deer kills and runaways also prove bullets do strange things, or strange things happen. Different bullets fired into same material is a rough comparison. That's it. The Tools and Targets guy does some entertaining but well organized, consistent pattern "jelly contraption" testing if you're interested.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.