Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
As a lefty and gun nut I’ve long been aware of the Mathieu actions but never seen one in person. I know DeHaas wrote of them in his book on bolt actions. I’m not finding my edition. It must be in one of the yet to be unpacked boxes of books.

I know Weatherby used them prior to building their own actions.

Did they make just one action length? From pictures they look like they might share a similar footprint to a Remington though I thought they preceded the 700. Perhaps a similar footprint to the 722/721?

I’m curious about them. Thanks for any information.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
He only mentions "Standard and magnum"
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you sir

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mathieu (his first name escapes me) was a bit of an odd duck. A machinist by trade, he built his action
in both standard and magnum actions. I've had my rifle for over 40 years. Took my first Dall ram with
it when it was a 300 Wby.
He lived in Richmond, CA with his goats. Literally. Like in his house with him type goats. Horns and all.
Some credit him and his action to be the first to combine the "Sako" type extractor and plunger ejector
in the same bolt face.
The actions are strong and well made. Mine has seen many rounds but it was well used when I traded
a pawn shop owner for it in Fairbanks back in the day. He didn't know what it was. I treasure it to this
day. It now wears a 25" Douglas bbl in 340 wby that shoots as good as when I got it.
In the early '60's, Fajen marketed a left hand rifle using his action for a few years. I believe my rifle
is one of those. It has a distinct Weatherby stock contour but is plain walnut sans the diamond grip cap
and forend tip used by Weatherby. and has a oil finish. It also does not have the Weatherby serial number
i sequence that charachterizes a LH Weatherby Mathieu rifle.
You can find one as they come up now and again.
Good luck,
sbsmith

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe I encountered a Mathieu rifle in 257WBY many years ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A LH barreled action was recently for sale pm Gun Broker.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought that barreled action. Hence the questions about them. It’s on the way.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mart-
Good snag. Finding a stock could be a challenge but the bottom metal is straight out of an '03 Springfield.
You may want to start there.
Damnit. I wish I had seen that.
Best.
Scott

Last edited by sbsmith; 02/25/24.
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Good to know on the floor plate. I planned on trying mag boxes and floor plates from Winchester, Remington and Springfield.

I’m not sure what it will become. The 22-250 it’s currently chambered for doesn’t do much for me. Especially with a 22” barrel. Might have to finally build a left handed 220 Swift or 257 Roberts. It won’t be a 6.5 Manbun or any of its iterations.

They claimed it is a short action but as was said earlier, they came in standard and magnum actions. I know I’ve never heard of a short action Mathieu nor ever seen a picture of one.

If it is a standard length action as I expect, that opens the field considerably. I’m 64 and never owned a 270. Don’t know why. I’ve always admired the 270. And the 280 but never owned either. I still have a bit of a yearning for a 318 Westley Richards. Though to build a 318 WR on anything but a Mauser might be considered blasphemous.

Maybe a left handed 375 Whelen. Though I have that end of the spectrum well covered.

These are weighty matters to consider.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mart
I bought that barreled action. Hence the questions about them. It’s on the way.

Glad to know it went to a good home. I was going to bid on it; got distracted and the auction was over when I went to check on the action.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Mart, I spent a lot of time looking at that auction listing. I have standard and magnum length Mathieu rifles to compare it to, and I’m convinced it is a short action. I’m really curious to find out, and would like to compare measurements. If you like…

If it is a short action, bottom metal will be a challenge.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought of that. Might shorten a Springfield floor plate and might just make it a blind mag rifle. Both my KS Mtns have blind mags and it doesn’t bother me.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up the Mathieu barreled action today. It is decidedly a short action. A very short one. Too short for a 6mm or 257 Roberts. I'm leaning heavy toward a 220 Swift. With a 26 inch varmint barrel along the lines of my old 77V 220 Swift. I'd finally have a left handed Swift. It is a .473 bolt face. The mag well opening is 2.655. The barrel that came on this one is not marked but is supposed to be a 22-250. I don't think I've ever seen a smaller muzzle on any centerfire. .495". Strikes me as awful skinny for a 22-250.

I doubt it has ever been used as the receiver is not drilled and tapped for a scope base.

I may try my hand at shortening a Springfield floor plate and mag box. Or I may opt to go blind mag and just shorten the mag box and follower to fit.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.