Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19260904 03/01/24
J
Japlvr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking for a recommendation for a quality pair of uninsulated snake proof boots. I would prefer to buy a Made in USA pair, but I'm not sure that is an option any longer. I have heard horror stories from the latest rendition of Russell Moccasin snake boots. (todays quality is not on parr with the previous years) Must be a lace-up boot for the support, but side or rear zipper would be beneficial. Waterproof is needed whether Gore-Tex or the "house brand" of breathable lining. Reviews are all over the place on the following makers in no particular order: Rocky, Irish Setter, LaCrosse, Thorogood, Chippewa, Twisted X, Redhead, Danner & Russell.

Throw it at me!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't wear snake boots anymore. But I do wear Thorogood Moc Toes and they are exceptionally well made. Made in the USA. I didn't know Thorogood made snake boots. If they do, I'd go with those, if only becasue I am very well pleased with Thorogood overall.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I don't wear snake boots anymore. But I do wear Thorogood Moc Toes and they are exceptionally well made. Made in the USA. I didn't know Thorogood made snake boots. If they do, I'd go with those, if only becasue I am very well pleased with Thorogood overall.
Agree with you on the Moc Toes, I also own a pair. As for as the Thorogood snake boot, they used to make them(maybe still do). Potentially the ugliest boot ever made.

I used to have a pair of Rocky Outback snake boots 25 years ago,..Horribly uncomfortable and just too hot….but if I was looking I’d take a hard look at the Danners.

Last edited by wagner; 03/01/24.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buy a pair of snake gaiters from Amazon and be happy. Mine have been all over NM, around my Kenetreks.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Cabelas-branded Rocky snake boots and the glue that held the soles crumbled and the soles came off. Never bought another pair of Rockys. I do have a couple of pair of Danners, one of them made in USA. Good boots.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/01/24.
IC B2

J
Japlvr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by taz4570
Buy a pair of snake gaiters from Amazon and be happy. Mine have been all over NM, around my Kenetreks.

This might be my best bet.

Thanks!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Chippewas are hot but comfortable for me.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, take Irish Setter off your short list. They don't make a snake boot anymore. Discontinued.

I'm on my second pair of Irish Setter VaprTrek snake boots. They have been STELLAR !!!! 17 inch running shoes. I walked the first pair into the dirt over the course of a good many years. I've no idea what I'll go with when I manage to kill my current pair. But, likely not Rocky for quality control issues I've had in the past, there. And DEFINITELY not Danner due to customer service issues I've had there.

Maybe I'll just start walking less in them. Lol !!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you happen to wear 10s, I’ve got a pair of vaprtreks brand new in the box I’m selling. Had em for an out of state hunt last year and never used them.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wore out a pair of lacrosse snake boots as the sole came unglued from the upper. I went with a pair of snake proof gaiters about 7 years ago a never looked back. I suggest the op go with gaiters.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What are a good pair of snake gaiters that are good for the mountains?

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been pretty happy with my LaCrosse boots so far. Had them for 6 years now and still holding up ok.

This guy got real close yesterday. Snake boots or gaiters are nice to have this time of year if your in snake country.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the Twisted X in Bottomland.

Had multiple 10 mile days on them last spring. Multiple 5 mile days over the whole year.

I’d buy them again tomorrow.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had Rocky’s and after they fell apart, I replaced them with Irish Setters and they are very comfortable. I’m on my 2nd pair or Irish Setters.

My snake boots see a lot of use, as I use them pretty much every time I go in the woods from Spring well into Fall. Besides the snake aspect, I hardly get ticks on my anymore since wearing them, as I tuck my pants into them.

The zippers will end up being the issue. I use the Yeti cooler zipper lotion as well as WD40 and the like to maximize them out but the zippers just don’t last with continued use. I’m considering pull ons for my next pair but the Irish Setters are just very comfortable to walk in.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve worn out a pair of the Irish Setters as well and I’m looking for replacements.

Will look at the Thorogood and Twisted X.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It appears after discontinuing the VaprTrek snake boot.......... They've come out with another one called the "Terrain".

BassPro Shop has 'em.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pair of Chips,made in USA. No longer available. I have had Russels. No longer available.

Excellent workmanship, Lined , comfortable, look great.
$ 600.00 shipped to America.

Attached Images
IMG_3673 (1).jpeg (50.37 KB, 68 downloads)
IMG_3674.jpeg (47.09 KB, 67 downloads)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Couple more

Attached Images
IMG_3675.jpeg (56.17 KB, 72 downloads)
IMG_3672.jpeg (27.61 KB, 71 downloads)
IMG_3668.jpeg (33.14 KB, 74 downloads)
IMG_3676.jpeg (47.39 KB, 65 downloads)
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gaiters dont do squat if bit on the foot, which I have been. Thank goodness for snake boots. I was wearing lacrosses at the time. I've tried lacrosse, rocky, chippewa, irish setter, and currently in danners. Chippewa and Danners have been the most comfortable, I'm on probably my 6 year on my current danners. I usually have to replace mine once they start soaking in moisture from the those early morning walks through the dew. I tried snow seal once, and it made them hot as heck.

I still wear my dads chippewas he got in the 80s when I know it will be dry out. Almost bit on a new pair a couple years back but notice they were made in china now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of turkey hunters in the field here this weekend. I ran across this guy on my country road near the foot of my driveway. Careful where you step or sit out there this time of year. Made me think hard about breaking out the snake chaps if hitting the woods for any reason.

XD-M 9mm is a chunky pistol and he was a chunky rattler.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,814
Posts18,477,637
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.