Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Just about any bullet in a .06 approaching 200 grains will kill elk. Can't figure out why partitions are too expensive and yet the Barnes is thrown in there.

I have several more year than 40 hunting elk and quite a few more elk killed. A 180 gr bullet of Sierra, Hornady, Speer will do the job although my preference is 220gr round nose in thick timber and close shots. IMHO, all these specialty bullets came into being when the magnumitus craze hit the country and hunters finally figure out that cup and core bullets did not hold up well at magnum velocities or hunters fell for the fallacy that all elk were shot at 600 + yards.

Realizing any cartridge's limitations the lowly 30-30 with a 170 gr C&C bullet will kill and elk just as fast as 300WM. I have successfully killed more than few elk using a 50 caliber muzzle loader with a modest charge of black powder.

Pick a bullet of 180 grains or better that your rifle and you shoot well, quit over thinking it, go elk hunting, and put the bullet in the correct place.

Taking the sensible approach. As for partitions being overpriced. For the last 3 years, they have been price gouging the hell out of us, and some of us have said F them. $80+/box of bullets is overpriced. They lost a lot of good customers because of this. As for Barnes, they have not missed a beat. Their prices were always in line with what partitions cost, and they are still in the $4x.xx/box realm. I buy them much cheaper, but I find the deals. The last ones cost me $19.95/box.

I also know good ol Hornady interlocks work on elk, just load heavy for cartridge and you'll be golden. Like you said, put the bullet in the right spot.

Hell, I bought some old Barnes the other day, for $15/box, that would work in a pinch. They are the 250gr originals. The nice thing about the 30-06 is its flexibility. Use a 150gr monometal, up to a 250gr cup and core, and you'll be just fine. I'd also start with a 180gr, if using a C&C bullet. The old Winchester power points worked well too, if you can find them.

There are so many good choices, especially if you get out and look..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do have a few 180 gr partitions that I bought for $13/box of 50 from SPS. They didn't kill any better or faster than what I have always used.Better bullet? Probably. Required? No.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/03/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the bigger picture of elk hunt expenses, even my local hunts, I can't see getting too hung up on the price of a bullet! May just be me though. Of the OP's choices I would pick one of the TTSXs

Last edited by MikeS; 03/03/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I do have a few 180 gr partitions that I bought for $13/box of 50 from SPS. They didn't kill any better or faster than what I have always used.Better bulelt? Probably. Required? No.

Those were the good days. I have some 200gr partitions from about 5 years ago, that only cost me $13.50/bag. I should have bought a truck load at that price, but did not realize they were going to be pricing how they are now. For elk, the 200gr in the 30-06 is the real winner. You can definitely get by with the 180 though. However, the OP doesn't want to buy Noslers.

I was at a damn shop in Reno a few days ago, and there was an old open box of .308 180gr Nosler partitions. The old ones that were turned on a lathe. I asked how much they wanted for them, and the guy comes back, and says "these were the first Nosler partitions, they want $100.00 for this box". I told him they can keep them for that price!!! This was at Mark Fore and Strike. I don't do much business with them, as their prices are generally way too high on stuff. Then, the manager comes back, and asks if I wanted the bullets, as they were the first partitions. He said, "did you know that?". I said yes, I have some at home, but I for damn sure did not pay $100.00 per box for them!!!! He looked dumbfounded.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
In the bigger picture of elk hunt expenses, even my local hunts, I can't see getting too hung up on the price of a bullet! May just be me though. Of the OP's choices I would pick one of the TTSXs

This has always been my contention…..not just elk, but any game. Most of us will spend more $ on fuel in one hunting season, than all of the bullets fired in the year! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Barnes TTSX or LRX
Maker TREX.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The question wasn't about price. It was what bullet.I have heard the old saying for 50 + years that the bullet is the cheap part of the hunt. If one listens to a lot of guys on this forum they would think you could load you rifle with Barnes bullet, lean it against a tree, and come back the next day to find an elk laying there. grin

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/03/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The question wasn't about price. It was what bullet.I have heard the old saying for 50 + years that the bullet is the cheap part of the hunt. If one listens to a lot of guys on this forum they would think you could load you rifle with Barnes bullet, lean it against a tree, and come back the next day to find an elk laying there. grin

It’s worked exactly like that for a lot of us! 😜

Seriously though, some welcome innovation… while some of us reject innovation! I’m as guilty as some about rejecting….. though some things are so obvious, that “even a blind squirrel can recognize them”! 🤔

Heck fire….you may remember some folks that thought that rifling in a barrel was one of “ Satan’s temptations. 😂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But in the original post,the Nosler was off the list of choices due to price. A 200 grain partition in my 30-06 would be my first choice for my spots.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I wouldn't use a a ELD X if they were given to me for free. I had the 175 all but blow up on impact at 247 yards with my 7PRC.

I would be extremely interested to see a picture of that if you have one

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
As I have said before the 180 gr Partition, can't beat it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good grief, any decent bullet from a 30-06 will take elk. Finding the elk is the bigger problem.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Why would you want to use anything but what you perceive as the best

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
In the last few years I have been using Accubonds, for elk. I have yet to recover a bullet. Last years elk was 150 yards, he paused and i hit him just behind the near shoulder, and the bullet came out in front of the offside hindquarter. Cannot beat that. I have been using primarily Nosler products for nearly 60 years , and while i have tried others I have always gone back to the Nosler bullet. Between me and a few others over a 100 elk have been taken with a Nosler bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used a 30/06 my entire hunting life. When I was reloading the Hornady 3070---180 grain interlock spire point was my bullet. Then I started using factory loads & plain old Winchester 180 grain power-points worked great. Lots of dead elk with both. Bulls & Cows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
Speer 200 grain HotCor.

This ^ or the 180gr Hot Core or Hornady.... inexpensive, accurate and all the bullet you need for elk.

Brad, called it.... the hard part will be finding that elk!

Last edited by Blacktail53; 03/03/24.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
168 TTSX is your huckleberry. I use the 168 TTSX in .300 Weatherby and switched to 175 LRX for .30-06. I’ve only shot 1 buck with the 175 LRX but it performed as advertised and the 8 pt succumbed immediately. Either would be a great choice.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
But in the original post,the Nosler was off the list of choices due to price. A 200 grain partition in my 30-06 would be my first choice for my spots.

I love that 200gr partition. It even works on deer!! Now, we all know the 180gr partition is the gold standard in the good ol 06, but after using the 200gr, it made a believer out of me. It penetrates much better than the old tried and true 180. It's also extremely accurate. But like someone else said, the partition was not on the list. Hence, the reason I said TTSX.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Oh, yes you can. And by a long shot. Try a 200gr partition.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Oh, yes you can. And by a long shot. Try a 200gr partition.

I’d guess since you always want pics and proof, you have a pile of pics of dead stuff to back up the claim?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.