Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m easily confused and find myself pondering when Federal made the Gold Medal Target ammo numbered 711B. Apparently it is over a span of many years. In 2005 I bought a Kimber 82 Government from the CMP. Almost certainly in that same year I bought several different brands of ammo to test. A 50 round box of Gold Medal Target shot best, so I bought a brick. I haven’t shot the rifle much and still have a few boxes. The label looks a lot like the brick box in BSA’s photo. The end of the box shows “711B.” Yesterday I picked up different 22 ammo at my local Cabela’s, including Federal Gold Medal Target. The box labeling is entirely different, but the end also shows “711B.” One would assume this is all the same? It will be several weeks before I will shoot any of this and do a comparison. But I wouldn’t win any benchrest competitions, so my results may not be completely determinative.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
711B has gone through many iterations (labeling) I have no idea if it is the “same”……what I do know is that some of the lots made in the 90s was very good when they went to the ones in the labeling like BSA has I never had much luck with it (some rifles shot it pretty well but overall not nearly as well as the “earlier” stuff). Recently I tried some of the newer labeled 711B and initially - with a very small sample size - I am encouraged?!! 900B has always shot extremely well and only wish I would have bought cases of the stuff when I had the chance - but I could say that about a bunch of different .22 ammo over the last 5 decades🥴!!

PennDog

p.s. Really liked that shirt BSA!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great info guys. I had fun at the range today. Burned up 300 rounds of ammo, with 3 rifles. Not going to win any benchrest competitions with any of these rifles either, but they aren't made to win benchrest. They are damn good sporters though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boy, that CZ did not like the RWS ammo!!!!

The Elite 22s (stainless 10/22 clone) really likes it though. While the Winchester 52 sporter surprised me a few times with some great groups, the CZ 457 American really surprised me with how smooth it is.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Reliability:
1. CZ 457 American
2. Winchester model 52 sporter
3. TI Elite 22S

Best trigger:
1. 52 sporter felt the best, the Volquartsen in the 10/22 and the CZ felt similar.

Smoothest feeding:
1. CZ 457 American
2. 52 Sporter
3. Elite 22S

Most stable feeling:
1. Elite 22S (probably due to using bi-pod)

The one that surprised me the most today: CZ 457 American... While it did not win against the other 2, in terms of accuracy, it made up for it in the smooth reliable feeding and how it felt in the bags..

Of course, the Model 52 wins the sexiest contest, and it also shot the best group averages.. @ .642 and .639" with the Lapua Midas "L", and Wolf Match Extra..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Try setting the action screws on the CZ to 30"lbs. then try the RWS again. I have not shot any RWS Target in quite some time and should try it in my CZ, but it does like the RWS Subsonic very well.
My experience is if a rifle is not pillared nor bedded, action screw torque has a big affect on accuracy with different types of ammo. Once they are pillared and bedded, action screw torque is as important. I would not have much confidence in plastic pillars ability of keeping the wood from crushing, the sole purpose of using pillars. A slight amount of give in the wood means the screw torque has changed followed by the accuracy.
Until you brought it up today I had forgotten about having the RWS Target ammo. LOL

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Try setting the action screws on the CZ to 30"lbs. then try the RWS again. I have not shot any RWS Target in quite some time and should try it in my CZ, but it does like the RWS Subsonic very well.
My experience is if a rifle is not pillared nor bedded, action screw torque has a big affect on accuracy with different types of ammo. Once they are pillared and bedded, action screw torque is as important. I would not have much confidence in plastic pillars ability of keeping the wood from crushing, the sole purpose of using pillars. A slight amount of give in the wood means the screw torque has changed followed by the accuracy.
Until you brought it up today I had forgotten about having the RWS Target ammo. LOL

As you know, they have pillars. Even though they are plastic. I don't mess with action screw torque on any of my rifles. When you going to shoot your rifle? It's pretty obvious the CZ doesn't like the RWS ammo. It shoots other ammo much better. That's the thing with these rifles. Find what they like and stick with it.. The rifle sits in the stock pretty good. I have checked to make sure it's sitting on the pillars well, and it does not teeter, or squish the wood. I'd be able to feel that. If it exhibited some weird POI shifts, or a lot of fliers, I'd be concerned. It may end up getting glass bedded eventually.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Great info guys. I had fun at the range today. Burned up 300 rounds of ammo, with 3 rifles. Not going to win any benchrest competitions with any of these rifles either, but they aren't made to win benchrest. They are damn good sporters though:

Boy, that CZ did not like the RWS ammo!!!!

The Elite 22s (stainless 10/22 clone) really likes it though. While the Winchester 52 sporter surprised me a few times with some great groups, the CZ 457 American really surprised me with how smooth it is.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Reliability:
1. CZ 457 American
2. Winchester model 52 sporter
3. TI Elite 22S

Best trigger:
1. 52 sporter felt the best, the Volquartsen in the 10/22 and the CZ felt similar.

Smoothest feeding:
1. CZ 457 American
2. 52 Sporter
3. Elite 22S

Most stable feeling:
1. Elite 22S (probably due to using bi-pod)

The one that surprised me the most today: CZ 457 American... While it did not win against the other 2, in terms of accuracy, it made up for it in the smooth reliable feeding and how it felt in the bags..

Of course, the Model 52 wins the sexiest contest, and it also shot the best group averages.. @ .642 and .639" with the Lapua Midas "L", and Wolf Match Extra..

At what distance were you shooting those targets?

Last edited by jk16; 02/28/24.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22

As you know, they have pillars. Even though they are plastic. I don't mess with action screw torque on any of my rifles. When you going to shoot your rifle? It's pretty obvious the CZ doesn't like the RWS ammo. It shoots other ammo much better. That's the thing with these rifles. Find what they like and stick with it.. The rifle sits in the stock pretty good. I have checked to make sure it's sitting on the pillars well, and it does not teeter, or squish the wood. I'd be able to feel that. If it exhibited some weird POI shifts, or a lot of fliers, I'd be concerned. It may end up getting glass bedded eventually.

I learned to torque action screws years back when an old friend, a railroad engineer and former Camp Perry shooter, taught me how to make a rimfire accurate. He loved my KDF's and boy I wish he was still with us. He was such a natural with anything firearm.
Both CZ stocks I've had my action mounted in show metal touching wood in the action and barrel chamber area and that was even with the original stock mine came in from the factory, so no matter the action screw tightness mine show the plastic pillars are letting the metal touch wood.
Like I posted earlier, at 20"lbs, close to factory setting, mine would shoot RWS worth beans, but loved the Norma Subs. When the screws were tightened to 30"lbs. it would shoot the Norma subs worth beans, but really shined with the RWS subs. In the factory issued stock, the action would slightly move after 20"lbs. but in the other American stock I have it began just above 30"lbs.
If you are happy with the plastic pillars that's great, as they say, to each there own.
If the weather (and work) would cooperate I would do a more shooting. I'm satisfied with this CZ, a Kimber or KDF K22 it is not. I like seeing how much I can improve the accuracy of a rifle, so this one gives me lots to work with. The Kimber or the KDF didn't. LOL The only improvement I made on the 2 Sako's I have is the trigger spring, nothing else was needed to improve accuracy.
I really want to get both CZ stocks stripped, reoiled, pillars replaced and glass bedded, but life keeps getting in the way. I foolishly thought that being semi retired would give me more time to do those things. frown

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Here's some older rimfire ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, look at the prices. 😉

Al

Spend your life wisely.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Funny, I ran across a fs like that one for 600, this was before covid. I had a trainer like the one under it and sold it probably too cheap at 350, went the same day. Anyway, took that money and went and bought the FS.

399 is a fair price for a 320, I think I paid 300 for mine, I've seen them go on GB in the 600 range. One of the most accurate 22s I own. They take kimber mags. Dealer had a 310 the week before and I didn't buy it due to it being a single shot, I went back for it though and it was gone but the 320 was in its place.

Last edited by killerv; 03/01/24.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I owned a Winchester 320 for many years and it’s still in the family. I found the 320 in my favorite pawn shop on the Rez here in Mississippi and traded a Remington 510 that I had $18 in and $15 boot money. I recognized quality and liked having a magazine. I used to shoot 3 position small bore in ARNG and squirrel hunt only with 22s. Traded my son his CZ 452 Trainer for it. He had used the 320 through out his childhood and the CZ was too heavy for his tastes. The CZ was marginally more accurate. The CZ was right up there with the Winchester 52D I used in competition ( I was battalion champion and won 20th in the state competition way back in early 70s). Both rank right up there in my estimation with the right ammo. I also have a custom Ruger 10/22, and a Winchester 69. We appreciate fine accurate 22 rifles in this household and always have.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 1badf350, 222ND, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,189
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.