Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Giving a bit of thought to this question a few things come to mine.

Anyone that can hunt all over the world can afford a lot more then 3 rifles, so the only reason for such a limitation is compactness linked to versatility. The cost of 1 airplane ticket round trip to an area 12 time zones away + the cost of the hunt and trophy fees is far more then several other guns. But if a globe trotter wanted to keep only 3 rifles for his travel kit because of compactness such a self imposed limit might make some sense.

So if I had unlimited money and time, and wanted to travel around the big ball to hunt, but only carry one case full of guns (with 3 inside) I'd choose the 22 long rifle, the 270 Winchester and the 375H&H.

My reasoning is as follows;

The 22 LR is super useful for many types of small game and birds, and ammo is easier to find all over the world than many other cartridges. My gun of choice would be a Marlin M39 because it can be taken down easily and fit into the case with a bit more compactness. The M39 is very accurate and holds 17 rounds of Long rifle ammo, but also feeds shorts as well.

The 270 and the 375H&H would both be made on either Winchester M70 Controlled feed actions or Mauser 98 pattern actions and both would be take down rifles.

My choice for a "ONE size fits almost-all" is and has always been a 30-06, but because I can have 3 rifles in this scenario, I choose the 270. My reasoning is that I have killed many elk with 270s and about 3/4 as many with 30-06s and for elk size game, despite the numbers on paper, I have not seen any advantage of the 30-06 over the 270s given good bullets used in both. If I were to go to a larger size animal I suspect I may start to see a difference, but up to 900 pounds of so, the 270 has shown me outstanding results for over 50 years and it lends itself a bit better to pest and varmint/ pest-predators then the 30-06. Because I have a 375H&H in the set I'd use that one any game over what I felt was maxed out with the 270. So again thinking about covering the most bases with only 3 rifles I would place the 270 as my general purpose hunting rifle. For moose buffalo and pachyderms the 375H&H is all the rifle you'd need for HUNTING. For back-up (for guiding other hunters who may not make the 1st shot as perfectly as they should) I'd want a 458 or something in that range, but for my own use the 375H&H is as good a weapon as I could ever desire, again given my choice of bullets. And like the 22 and the 270, the ammo is easier to find on "other places" than many cartridges we may have available in the USA, but when a long way from the USA such a consideration might be important.

So 3 rounds in 3 specific rifles for me it would be the Marlin M39 and 2 take down bolt actions, one 270 and one 375.

Last edited by szihn; 03/05/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since most of my "serious" hunting is in Africa, and if I was forced to choose three.

338 Winchester
375 H&H
416 Rem

A lot of overlap in that list but I could live with it.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cascade
Hey, you stole my list! LOL!

Can I add a 22 rimfire?

The OP spotted everyone a .22 LR & a shotgun gratis in the original post so you're already covered. 👍

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by szihn
Giving a bit of thought to this question a few things come to mine.

Anyone that can hunt all over the world can afford a lot more then 3 rifles, so the only reason for such a limitation is compactness linked to versatility. The cost of 1 airplane ticket round trip to an are 12 time zones away + the cost of the hunt and trophy fees is far more then several other guns. But if a globe trotter wanted to keep only 3 rifles for his travel kit because of compactness such a self imposed limit might make some sense.

My issue as the OP is that I am moving from the country to a townhouse in the city. Downsizing is the only option I have and the other firearms I own, I shoot a lot more than the hunting rifles, and I need room for them also as well as downsized reloading gear. Ten years ago I would have opposed a thread like this.

In the 90's my PH for South Africa told me all I needed for the world is the 30 06 and the .375 H&H and that has stuck with me. But instead of the .375 H&H I have switched to the 375 Ruger because it feeds and functions perfectly in a standard length Mauser action.

It does indeed look like there is a loose consensus on the 30-06 and .375.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 03/05/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 Win
300 Win
416 Rem

Although i would be happy with a

7mm08
300 Win
9.3x62

…and you need a 22LR for plinking & a 17HMR for tree rats.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

A 30-06 and a 375 are a great combo that cover a lot of situations well. They may not always be the optimal choice in every situation but rarely can they be described as a bad one. If ammo availability is a priority, then definitely a solid selection. Having said that, I chose a 9.3x62 as my "middle" rifle so I kind of split the difference for the sake of this particular exercise.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
A key consideration to me is ALL the rifles must have as close as possible identical configuration.

Best!

PH

Buy a Blaser R8.
If I had the money to hunt the world I sure wouldn’t be concerned with limiting the number of guns I own.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only been doing three anymore. 30-30, 30-06, and 45-70

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
.243 Win. (dual purpose as varmint and light big game)
280 AI
One of the 375s or 416s

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like many of us here, getting up in years and downsizing. I have decided to limit myself to three hunting calibers.
Dumping the .308, .300 Win mag, and other calibers I rarely use. Keeping the .375, 30-06, and 450 Bushmaster. The .375 because I believe I'll be able to make it back to South Africa at least one more time and for sure Canada and Alaska. Keeping the 30-06 which has served me well especially in Africa as my back up rifle when my main rifle was dropped and the scoped smashed. An the 450 Bushmaster for a brush, woods, and truck gun, which is currently most of my hunting. Shotguns and .22 lr are exempt from this choice.

Before I start selling rifles. I would like your opinion on what you would consider your go-to 3 caliber world hunting battery.

7mm-08: 90% of hunting
.30-06: elk, exotics, dangerous game
6.5 PRC: ranges past 400

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Easy peasy:

#1. 270 Win or a 7mm of some sort moving a 1303100 to a 1502875 22” bbl

#2 375 H&H

#3 open space

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The more I hunt, the fewer rifles I want.

Before I had the time and funds to go hunting, I spent a lot of time and energy buying rifles, reloading, and experimenting. I should have gotten a part-time job and invested my earnings.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
First off, I confess that I do not have world-wide experience. So, for what it is worth, I will offer some "arm-chair" suggestions:

.375 Ruger or H&H
.30-06 Springfield
.223 Remington

Having said that, depending on what you want to hunt, you may also want to include a 7mm-08 Remington. For your particular needs, a 7-08 could take the place of the .223 and maybe overlap some on the .30-06. Of these, I would say the .30-06 is the most practical overall.

This was not in the original question, but I would like to add that the most versatile firearm in existence is either a pump or semi-automatic 12 ga. 3" or 3.5" shotgun with a smoothbore barrel with changeable chokes and a second scoped rifled slug barrel. This can be used for anything from snakes to game birds, varmints, squirrels, deer, rabbits, coyotes, crazed zombies, elk (up to about 120 yds), medium sized bear, etc. No, it is not the perfect gun for every range and every game, but by far it is the most versatile tool for hunting and defense that I know of. Obviously, not suitable for cape buffalo at any distance or antelope at 250 yards, but you get the idea.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for my world:

easy button:

.223 rem
.308 win
.338 win mag

style points:

6x45
7mm-08
.338 fed

old school:

22 hornet
250-3000
300 sav

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RinB

Before I had the time and funds to go hunting, I spent a lot of time and energy buying rifles, reloading, and experimenting. I should have gotten a part-time job and invested my earnings.
I like your posts.
Experimenting is almost cultish these days, I am in the cult.
Hunting hard makes you a better hunter, not a brain full of data.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by odonata

A 30-06 and a 375 are a great combo that cover a lot of situations well. They may not always be the optimal choice in every situation but rarely can they be described as a bad one. If ammo availability is a priority, then definitely a solid selection. Having said that, I chose a 9.3x62 as my "middle" rifle so I kind of split the difference for the sake of this particular exercise.

This picture puts a big smile on my face. In many ways the 9.3 x 62 or 35 Whelen makes a lot of sense.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by comerade

I like your posts.

I have a small fraction of the hunting experience you guys have and am coming around to this conclusion myself.
Currently I have 8-10 "deer appropriate" rifles, at least half of those could extend to moose/bear. Downsizing could net me a safari.

As to the OP's subject, others have mentioned it but a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 with multiple barrels would fill the bill with compactness and class.

If I went that route (and had the $$$) a barrel each in 6.5CM/7mm08, 270/30-06, 375HH/Ruger.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by odonata

Nice

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by comerade

I like your posts.

I have a small fraction of the hunting experience you guys have and am coming around to this conclusion myself.
Currently I have 8-10 "deer appropriate" rifles, at least half of those could extend to moose/bear. Downsizing could net me a safari.

As to the OP's subject, others have mentioned it but a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 with multiple barrels would fill the bill with compactness and class.

If I went that route (and had the $$$) a barrel each in 6.5CM/7mm08, 270/30-06, 375HH/Ruger.

This is a viable and solid option I considered and may possibly be the ultimate solution for many. Definitely the most practical solution in terms of compactness and modularity.

The main reason I did not go this route is if you had a major malfunction in the receiver assembly or broke the stock, you would be SOL. Highly unlikely, but still a risk. With a matched set of rifles, you have a complete back up with parts interchangeability giving you options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On page 1 of this thread, I asked:

Originally Posted by shaman
Of all the military-spawned cartridges: Aren't these illegal to carry into some countries?

My question still stands. If you're going truly worldwide, there are all sorts of considerations on what's going to fly in a given country for particular game. The military round prohibition is just one of them.

I remember being told on this very forum that 35 Whelen was not as good a choice for international hunting over 9.3X62, because 35 Whelen was derived from a military cartridge. I don't know. I've never tried to send firearms out of the country to hunt. I don't know where that would leave 45-70 in this discussion. as well as things like 308 WIN, 30-06 and 7X57 Mauser.

I'd also be interested in how the energy-related specifications of some countries change all this. I know there are minimum restrictions on caliber and Ft/Lbs. Are there restrictions that say "this round is too much for this sized game?"

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.