Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
My question still stands. If you're going truly worldwide, there are all sorts of considerations on what's going to fly in a given country for particular game. The military round prohibition is just one of them.

The devil will always be in the details. 100% universality with only three cartridges might be hard to achieve. For example, the prohibition against military cartridges is sometimes for only active cartridges used by the military of that country. It isn't always a prohibition against any military cartridge used by any military anywhere at any time in history. So older cartridges like 45-70, 30-40 Krag & 30-06 aren't necessarily on a list. Sometimes the reason for not wanting the citizens to be using the military calibers is as simple as trying to reduce black-market sales of military supplies by prohibiting the locals from using the same ammo as the soldiers.

Just like there's a lot of very specific restrictions within the USA (e.g. straight-walled cartridges, breech-loaded single shots only, no semi-autos, etc.), I'm sure you'll bump into others worldwide. For example if I wanted to hunt Ibex in Grisons Switzerland I would have been out of luck with my choice of three rifles. You have to have a rifle with no magazine that shoots a minimum 10.2mm bullet. Which is why if you look at the caliber selection for a Blaser K95 you'll see a 10.3x60r CH at the bottom of the list. It's a caliber that's there for hunting in that specific canton.

For the minimum energy levels worldwide, it would always be prudent to have a 375 or larger somewhere in your selection. I can't think of any restrictions for "too much gun" but having said that, I would be surprised if one didn't exist somewhere.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by odonata
Originally Posted by shaman
My question still stands. If you're going truly worldwide, there are all sorts of considerations on what's going to fly in a given country for particular game. The military round prohibition is just one of them.

For example if I wanted to hunt Ibex in Grisons Switzerland I would have been out of luck with my choice of three rifles. You have to have a rifle with no magazine that shoots a minimum 10.2mm bullet. Which is why if you look at the caliber selection for a Blaser K95 you'll see a 10.3x60r CH at the bottom of the list. It's a caliber that's there for hunting in that specific canton.

Thank you for solving the mystery of the 10.3x60r. I had no idea there was a minimum bullet caliber mandate in Switzerland. It would be interesting to understand the logic underpinning this rule.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That is one hell of a niche! Seem to remember Boddington hunting in Greece where rifles (like, all of them) were prohibited whereupon he used a slug gun.

I'm under the impression that the OP is not necessarily a "globetrotting hunter" but would simply like to return to Africa. If that's the case I think he'll be fine with standard stuff.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
It would be interesting to understand the logic underpinning this rule.

Since politicians make firearm rules, it has been my experience that logic doesn't always play a significant role in the process. grin grin grin

The one that annoys me is the requirement that single shots have an exposed hammer to primitive hunt in LA & MS. I can use my Winchester 1885's. But my Ruger #1's have to sit in the safe. mad

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Kinda like Pennsylvania's no semi-auto rule, hence the popularity of the "Amish Automatic".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by RinB
The more I hunt, the fewer rifles I want.

Before I had the time and funds to go hunting, I spent a lot of time and energy buying rifles, reloading, and experimenting. I should have gotten a part-time job and invested my earnings.
I like your posts.
Experimenting is almost cultish these days, I am in the cult.
Hunting hard makes you a better hunter, not a brain full of data.

I have a small fraction of the hunting experience you guys have and am coming around to this conclusion myself.
Currently I have 8-10 "deer appropriate" rifles, at least half of those could extend to moose/bear. Downsizing could net me a safari.

As to the OP's subject, others have mentioned it but a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 with multiple barrels would fill the bill with compactness and class.

If I went that route (and had the $$$) a barrel each in 6.5CM/7mm08, 270/30-06, 375HH/Ruger.

If I had 8-10 deer rifles I'd be having a sale and booking a safari

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by RinB
The more I hunt, the fewer rifles I want.

Before I had the time and funds to go hunting, I spent a lot of time and energy buying rifles, reloading, and experimenting. I should have gotten a part-time job and invested my earnings.
I like your posts.
Experimenting is almost cultish these days, I am in the cult.
Hunting hard makes you a better hunter, not a brain full of data.

I have a small fraction of the hunting experience you guys have and am coming around to this conclusion myself.
Currently I have 8-10 "deer appropriate" rifles, at least half of those could extend to moose/bear. Downsizing could net me a safari.

As to the OP's subject, others have mentioned it but a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 with multiple barrels would fill the bill with compactness and class.

If I went that route (and had the $$$) a barrel each in 6.5CM/7mm08, 270/30-06, 375HH/Ruger.

Might be onto something....

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by OGB
[quote=OGB][quote=comerade][quote=RinB]The more I hunt, the fewer rifles I want.

I can tell you this. If you like to hunt with a passion, the greatest thing you can do for yourself is to do your research, find the right guide and right place that fits your needs, and treat yourself to the time of your life. It is the gift that will keep giving back in memories for the rest of your life. When I went the first time it was hard to part with the cash that it took to deliver what I wanted, but it was the best purchase decision I ever made. Not a day goes by without super fond memories of that first Safari.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
for me....375 h&h....222.....22 mag......375 can replace a 30-06, 270 etc....with lighter bullets and hunt dangerous with 300 grain.

and this is what I am going to downsize to.....probably keep a 22 in there....bob

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB
[quote=OGB][quote=comerade][quote=RinB]The more I hunt, the fewer rifles I want.

I can tell you this. If you like to hunt with a passion, the greatest thing you can do for yourself is to do your research, find the right guide and right place that fits your needs, and treat yourself to the time of your life. It is the gift that will keep giving back in memories for the rest of your life. When I went the first time it was hard to part with the cash that it took to deliver what I wanted, but it was the best purchase decision I ever made. Not a day goes by without super fond memories of that first Safari.

Agreed, the more rings I aquire, the more I'm thinking someday is today.

Apologies for the topic drift.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for solving the mystery of the 10.3x60r. I had no idea there was a minimum bullet caliber mandate in Switzerland. It would be interesting to understand the logic underpinning this rule.

I had tried to figure this out a while back while researching the potential purchase of an older German express rifle & the "logical" reason for it was not clear. As best I could tell, circa 1902 a regulation was put in place and for whatever reason, it kind of became a thing for this particular region (tradition? exclusion of outside hunters? preservation of local game by making it challenging to shoot them?). The 10.3x60r was very similar to the 450/400 2 3/8" BPE (Black Powder Express) and was often chambered in Martini rifles. In 2017, RWS introduced the 10.3x68 Magnum to also meet this regulation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My modern 3 would be:
6.5 Creedmoor
300 WSM
375 Ruger

My Classic 3 would be:
243 Win
30-06
375 H&H

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I can afford to hunt world wide and I’m downsizing to 3 cartridges? This is some crazy, unbelievable fiction we’re talking about here.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My three would be:

35 Remington

260 Remington

30/06

If I can't kill it with one of those three, I'm not interested in shooting it.

Harry
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think I'll be the odd man out. One at 85 years old and legally handicapped I seriously doubt Africa will be in what future I may have left. Of course, should I will one of the lotteries I might have a change of heart.

I probably would go with the .223 for fun and game like harassing Bug's relatives and a coyote or two. For deer and the like maybe my 7x57 Mauser. It'll also work with the proper bullets for elk.

My serious elk rifle would be my .35 Whelen. It's also been my lucky elk rifle. I might have to drop dowen to maybe a .308 or 30-06 depending on what the doctors say, I've had three stents put in and next week he's gonna replace a heart valve. That was a surprise I wasn't expecting. It could be recoil might be a problem so may have to stay with factory level loads in the 7x57, if that much. Guess I'lll just have to try and get much closer somehow.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I think I'll be the odd man out. One at 85 years old and legally handicapped I seriously doubt Africa will be in what future I may have left. Of course, should I will one of the lotteries I might have a change of heart.

I probably would go with the .223 for fun and game like harassing Bug's relatives and a coyote or two. For deer and the like maybe my 7x57 Mauser. It'll also work with the proper bullets for elk.

My serious elk rifle would be my .35 Whelen. It's also been my lucky elk rifle. I might have to drop dowen to maybe a .308 or 30-06 depending on what the doctors say, I've had three stents put in and next week he's gonna replace a heart valve. That was a surprise I wasn't expecting. It could be recoil might be a problem so may have to stay with factory level loads in the 7x57, if that much. Guess I'lll just have to try and get much closer somehow.
PJ
Good luck with things , PJ
God Bless

Last edited by comerade; 03/07/24. Reason: Sp
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

PJ

Hopefully you're not left handed. Heart trouble and recoil are so much bigger issues if you are. I can't shoot much more than a 30-06 anymore without bringing on angina or arrhythmia

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

PJ

Wishing you the very best of outcomes PJ……hoping that soon yoube “fit as a fiddle”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only need two:

BDL in 270 Win 90g Sierra HPBTs for varmints and such, 150g Partitions for everything but grizzlies

500 Jeffery for everything else

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Like many of us here, getting up in years and downsizing. I have decided to limit myself to three hunting calibers.
Dumping the .308, .300 Win mag, and other calibers I rarely use. Keeping the .375, 30-06, and 450 Bushmaster. The .375 because I believe I'll be able to make it back to South Africa at least one more time and for sure Canada and Alaska. Keeping the 30-06 which has served me well especially in Africa as my back up rifle when my main rifle was dropped and the scoped smashed. An the 450 Bushmaster for a brush, woods, and truck gun, which is currently most of my hunting. Shotguns and .22 lr are exempt from this choice.

Before I start selling rifles. I would like your opinion on what you would consider your go-to 3 caliber world hunting battery.

Some questions. 1) What is Africa to you? Are you thinking about plains game or about thick-skinned critters? 2) Do you wish to have a rifle for colony varmints in your three or are these specifically for medium and large game?

There are several approaches. I'd be thinking about a system, not just components. For a 3 rifle set, I'd be thinking of the middle as the "do-all", then the other 2 together as a "do-all" so that you've got pretty good overlap and no big gaps. My personal choices, starting from scratch, not swayed by what I own now, would be either a .243 or .257 Roberts, a .338 win mag, and a .416. Starting with what you mention having, I'd go with the '06 and .375 but I'd ditch the Bushmaster and get a .22-250.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.