Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
U need rid of that counter fit 336 fireball…..

Just let minnow

Nope. This one stays with me.

When my dad passed away I inherited his 6-7 guns. I gave some to each of the other family members including his Marlin 30-30. Short version is his lifelong Marlin 30-30 had been stolen, and the one I inherited was a replacement. It had no sentimental value. When I saw this one for sale in a shop the other day it triggered my earliest memories of hunting with dad when I was just a few years old. I saw him, hand wrapped around it, walking in blacktail country. I remembering him shooting the running buck mom and I flushed across a gravel two track road while it was in mid-air as it crossed the road, with that old Marlin 30-30.

Even though I've seen a thousand Marlin 30-30's since dad passed in 1999, I've never seen one that meant anything to me, until this one. Funny how that works.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s awesome

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Just let minnow

When my dad passed away I inherited his 6-7 guns. I gave some to each of the other family members including his Marlin 30-30. Short version is his lifelong Marlin 30-30 had been stolen, and the one I inherited was a replacement. It had no sentimental value. When I saw this one for sale in a shop the other day it triggered my earliest memories of hunting with dad when I was just a few years old. I saw him, hand wrapped around it, walking in blacktail country. I remembering him shooting the running buck mom and I flushed across a gravel two track road while it was in mid-air as it crossed the road, with that old Marlin 30-30.

Even though I've seen a thousand Marlin 30-30's since dad passed in 1999, I've never seen one that meant anything to me, until this one. Funny how that works.

I’d say it was meant to be. Maybe it was your father’s gift to you. I don’t know how these things work. But when they do I accept them without question. Sounds like a Marlin came home.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Just let minnow

Fireball, my fondest memories were listening to my grandpa tell me of some of his adventures with a Remington model 14 in 30 Remington. It was gray with little finish remaining, but it shot straight and had thousands of miles in a saddle scabbard on it. I was supposed to inherit all his guns, but he married a gal in his late 60' and once she got power of attorney she wrote all of us out of the will. She peddled his guns, first thing, not even giving me the chance. 10 years pass and I walk into a little shop in town and there is a grayed out Model 14, not his cause I knew the serial number by heart, but a dead ringer and like you said, It just felt right! Grandpa had a bobcat mount over his stairwell ever since I was a kid, not a little one either. He said it had weighed 53 lbs on the grain scale. The first time out with that rifle I had my son with me, named after grandpa and out of the brush comes the largest bobcat I had ever seen in the wild. I took him and he weighed 49 lbs on my pack scale, so I had him mounted just like grandpas had been done and revel in the fact that I did it with "his rifle" with his namesake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
old guys should stay clear of those leeches. Same thing happened to my uncle.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.