B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
You have the coolest rifles! :-)

I have thought of converting over to LH just to covet your stuff whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have probably my share: 3 pre-64 M-70s and and 1 M-54 NRA original short rifle in 270 WCF. The first rifle was a lucky M-70, accounting for antelope and
Coues whitetail in NM-AZ. O'Connor was mostly right.
Now they may be chasing AL whitetails or back out west for mule deer.
The cartridge and rifle combination just works in early Winchesters. One is carrying a Lyman Alaskan in Buehler mts and rings.
I like to rescue older unappreciated M-70s. Latest rescue came from CO with a McM stock and 22 in barrel-a featherweight which has the Leupold 20 yr old
original M8-4X scope topside. A working cartridge. Do not own any WSMs and don''t plan to. Model 71s in 348 have taken deer to moose and have filled in the other part of the freezer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
You have the coolest rifles! :-)

I have thought of converting over to LH just to covet your stuff whistle

LOL grin

You both have VERY cool rifles...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been messing with my old 270 a bit with the 124 HH's. I am still scratching my head a bit on them to be honest, cause they are fast. I know they reported to be faster on average than other bullets with more bearing surface. I started out and have been using H4831SC in mine with WW cases. As of right now, I have used the same cases for 5X firings and can't see anything resembling pressure on them at all. They come out of the gun so slick and nice with perfect looking primers. Accuracy has been pretty fair so far as well.

Until I started bumping charges up accuracy was sorta okay, not good but not terrible either.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I got up to 64 grains and it started doing better. They say the Hammer's are insensitive to seating depth and at least in the 4 rifles I have been messing with, that is complete BS. They act just like any other bonded or mono bullet and want some jump.

This load is a full .090 off the lands and I just loaded another 6 ten thou shorter to see if I can pull it together a hair.

I did wing three at 400 yesterday just to see what they look like at distance and feel like it might hit an elk whistle

I won't even list the speed as it might turn this thread into a poo slinging match, but a few others around this place are using them and seeing the same stuff.

Anyhow, pretty cool to blend out 2024 awesome bullets with 1955 rifles.. Those old Winchesters aren't too bad.. Kinda makes me wanna use the old 270 a bit more this year.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Y’all need to stop talking up the 270 or you’ll cost me more money. I own exactly 1. A 1968 model 760 that will stack 150 round noses like it was a bolt gun. I just used my last stainless action on a 35W but went back and forth for several months between the 35W and 270.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
Y’all need to stop talking up the 270 or you’ll cost me more money. I own exactly 1. A 1968 model 760 that will stack 150 round noses like it was a bolt gun. I just used my last stainless action on a 35W but went back and forth for several months between the 35W and 270.

Both is the answer.. Pretty dynamic pair of cartridges. grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bbassi

Both is the answer.. Pretty dynamic pair of cartridges. grin

Yeah, just get the .270 and that way you have both. When is more guns not a good thing? I have exactly one .270 Win rifle and it’s a Ruger American my wife won 10+ years ago. My son claimed it, but has moved to a 6.5 PRC, so I started loading for the .270 Win. I have even loaded up 165 gr. ABLR’s in it, but at 33ft above sea level where we shoot at it and they will not stabilize. I blew my first primer ever Thursday trying to test the 165’s and RL22. I’m going to go pull the remaining three and stick with 130-150 gr. bullets.

Last edited by Hudge; 03/10/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m tempted to re-barrel one of mine with a fast twist to run the heavier stuff….just because.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I like the 160gr NP for here in the East, and my son really likes it. Just asked me to load up some more for him as he’s about out. I load a middle of the road charge of W780, of which I still have just over a pound. Every deer he’s shot, and the one I shot using that mild load has just flopped. No doubt 150s would be about the same.

The 160 NPt is a bulldozer on elk. More so, it seems the BC is a bit underrated by Nosler. It shoots flatter than any of the ballistic calculators said it would.

My only problem is this load uses IMR7977 which I have a limited supply of. So I’m kind’ve hoarding this load in case I’m assaulted by any zombie brontosauruses….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tons of guns chambered in 270. Lots of reasonably cheap factory ammo. Cheap brass. Big bullet selection. Eats most powders. Medium recoil. Flat hunting ranges trajectory. Probably the best, non army, no nonsense hunting cartridge in North America.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After 50 years of not even wanting a .270, but lots of experience hunting wth family and friends who used .270 rifles and demonstrated that it was a very capable cartridge, I finally got one a few months ago. Kinda by accident, it was a nice Sauer 202 switch barrel rifle that came with several barrels, one of them a .270. Now I'm intrigued.

I have hunted with other similar cartridges that I have a fair bit of experience with, such as 25-06 and 7x64, so I don't expect any surprises. For where I live on the northern plains, a .270 is "just right" for a lot of our hunting. Pronghorns, Mule deer, and Whitetails in the open. I don't intend to load it with any bullet weight other than the classic 130 grain. But then I don't want a generalist rifle, I will use it for medium game at medium to longish ( for me) range. It should do the trick.

For the other type of hunting we do here, Moose, Elk, and Bears in the northern bush, the 9.3x62 barrel seems more suitable to me.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/10/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What will make the .270 Winchester/150 gr./2800 fps. meat-gitter obsolete?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"... a phased plasma rifle, in the 40-watt range."

GR

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A 160 grain at 2800!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Thanks Memtb!

You bet, I hope that you can find the magic formula. With the load I was using, they were superbly accurate in my rifle! Though, it was several grains above listed maximum in several manuals! memtb
Memtb, turns out that I have the .375 RUM loaded up with 250 grain North Fork bullets. Going to use the 270 grain Hornady's in my Whitworth .375 H&H instead.

Thank you for your info I appreciate it very much.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
270, 30-06, or 308 and you will be able to buy ammo if any ammo is to be had. All 3 will do the job on 99% of anything you want to shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RHClark
270, 30-06, or 308 and you will be able to buy ammo if any ammo is to be had. All 3 will do the job on 99% of anything you want to shoot.

I'd add the 6.5 CM to that very good list. Here in the middle of elk country, you can count more 6.5 CM SKU's on the shelves than any of the other three, and by a large margin over the 270 and 30-06. Typically second place for availability after the Creedmoor is the 308 Win. It's really amazing how the CM has taken off...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Load your own ammo , shoot any cartridge you want anywhere, all the damned time. Pretty simple if you think about it , ammo is your responsibility not someone else's.
Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/13/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Load your own ammo , shoot any cartridge you want anywhere, all the damned time. Pretty simple if you think about it , ammo is your responsibility not someone else's.
Mb

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nobody Brad, just a simple statement of fact. Shooters need to move on from the mind set of some store or factory allways having the ammo they need, when they want it, for how much they want to pay. Ammo business don't work that way anymore. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Thanks Memtb!

You bet, I hope that you can find the magic formula. With the load I was using, they were superbly accurate in my rifle! Though, it was several grains above listed maximum in several manuals! memtb
Memtb, turns out that I have the .375 RUM loaded up with 250 grain North Fork bullets. Going to use the 270 grain Hornady's in my Whitworth .375 H&H instead.

Thank you for your info I appreciate it very much.

You bet, I hope that it works good for you! Good Luck on your hunt! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 59 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.