M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
While I went out in the super crappy weather yesterday to shoot the G21.5,

it was blowing snow and crap sideways***

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting my 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

The Ruger just stacks them in there.

I kind of get a kick out of how small the holes are. smile

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of the Lipsey's Ultimate J Frames.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
We expect a full report!

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting Lost River 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of the Lipsey's Ultimate J Frames.

We eagerly await the report.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting my 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

What do you think you'd see for gel penetration if you stepped those wadcutters down to S&W long velocities? That 24 inches at magnum velocities is impressive.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This one arrived last week. I now own both Buckeye's, the 38WCF/10mm for a number of years. The 32 H&R cylinder looks new and will remain so as I prefer my Single Sixes for that chambering.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What do you think you'd see for gel penetration if you stepped those wadcutters down to S&W long velocities? That 24 inches at magnum velocities is impressive.

I really did not build the wadcutter load with the intention of it being a super high performance load. It was more to shoot to the sights and be comfortable to shoot, with adequate penetration. I was quite surprised that it performs as well as it does in the gel. With the super light recoil, it really makes sense as far as what to carry.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Dang it, thought I was through buying 32's but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out for one more.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Today I was in LGS and saw the 642 UC at $719. No stranger to 442 and 642 the new 642 UC trigger is dynamically more consistent, lighter, and crisp. Sights obviously were an improvement and better than the 340 pd / M&P. The grips were nice not only did they place the center of my palm higher but the grip was fatter at the web. Huge diff. Also the grip was not so grippy which helps when drawing fast. I didn’t have time to buy it, but I plan on getting all four models.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by EdM
This one arrived last week. I now own both Buckeye's, the 38WCF/10mm for a number of years. The 32 H&R cylinder looks new and will remain so as I prefer my Single Sixes for that chambering.

Ed,

Does that mean you intend on not firing the H&R cylinder?

Regardless, the 32-20/32H&R, IMO, is a lot better convertible than having an auto round in the mix. I've done the 10mm and I always think to myself "its a 38-40".

The 38-40 in a modern single action is something I need to address. Very nice bookends.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

If you handload, which it looks you are with the component cache, the 32 Long can be stepped UP when the gun in question is geared to it, pretty much like the H&R.

The H&R isn't really a magnum, but definitely beyond a standard factory loaded Long, which generally runs out of poop for penetration.

With 115gr bullets and Unique class powder, the Long case can nip at the heels of the H&R. Seated to 32 H&R length, its essentially identical in a gun capable of plus p plus 38 pressure.
Most 32s made after WWII fit that category, since the same guns are chambered in 38.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed,

Does that mean you intend on not firing the H&R cylinder?

Regardless, the 32-20/32H&R, IMO, is a lot better convertible than having an auto round in the mix. I've done the 10mm and I always think to myself "its a 38-40".

The 38-40 in a modern single action is something I need to address. Very nice bookends.

Yes on the H&R cylinder. My 38-40/10mm does not see the 10mm cylinder either. I do have a very nice 38-40 built on an old Flattop 357. Another on a converted S&W M28. I like the round a bunch.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I know it’s a handgun thread but sometimes fun 32s come with really long barrels.

Left handed flintlock 32. Great fun for snowshoes when we were in Alaska.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
Today I was in LGS and saw the 642 UC at $719. No stranger to 442 and 642 the new 642 UC trigger is dynamically more consistent, lighter, and crisp. Sights obviously were an improvement and better than the 340 pd / M&P. The grips were nice not only did they place the center of my palm higher but the grip was fatter at the web. Huge diff. Also the grip was not so grippy which helps when drawing fast. I didn’t have time to buy it, but I plan on getting all four models.

I have searched all over online and have yet to see any come up for sale. I have decided to buy one.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mart
I know it’s a handgun thread but sometimes fun 32s come with really long barrels.

Left handed flintlock 32. Great fun for snowshoes when we were in Alaska.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

That is definitely a cool piece!

I was on the phone yesterday with a holster maker (retired) by the name of Thad Rybka. Many newer shooters perhaps may not know his name these days, but guys that have been around for a while probably will. I grew reading about his stuff in all the gun magazines in high school, the army and later college. He has always been a truly superb craftsman.

In fact my good friend Jim Wall who is the co-owner of Milt Sparks Holsters and is a world class holster maker himself has nothing but praise for Thad Rybka gun leather and his workmanship. That is pretty high praise.

Anyways, the reason I bring up Mr. Rybka, is because he too is a .32 fan and speaking of long guns, has a .32 H&R Rolling Block. I did not know such a creature existed. That is pretty darn cool. smile

I sent some .32 H&R wadcutters down to Thad here not too long ago, and he loved them. I rarely pack anything but Milt Sparks, when it comes to leather, but he sent a Rhodesian OWB (or 2) up my way, and I must say his work is superb.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had fully intended to build a 32H&R in a little Martini when I moved back south. I had figured it to be the ultimate fall turkey rifle and reloadable squirrel cartridge.

Unfortunately soon after my arrival our turkey population went down the drain and the state took away our fall rifle season. So I never got off the ground with the project. Maybe someday I’ll get a wild hair and get started on it anyway.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
So I just saw that a new article came out in American Handgunner.

https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/sw-ultimate-carry-ballistic-testing/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

The write up was about the ballistic testing done with the new S&W Ultimate Carry J Frames with the .32 H&Rs. A wide variety of ammo was featured. Pretty good mix really from snake shot to solid copper hollow points.

Yours truly had the Lost River Ammunition Company 100 grain poly coated full wadcutters featured in the article. The author did some velocity testing and the wadcutters tested at 794, which is right about on the money. Penetration was 24"s of gelatin.

What really surprises me is what a kind of little "Goldilocks" sweet spot this load really is. I honestly did not expect it would do so well in the penetration/gel testing, but it really has proven to a rock star. Practically nothing in the recoil department, but still putting a hundred grain slug nice and deep.

This project has turned out better than expected!

Seriously looking forward to shooting the new Lipsey's 432 UC. smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Any idea on the BHN of the wadcutter featured in your ammo?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bump for LBP.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
Bump for LBP.
Thanks

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.