-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MIM parts have evolved over the years and are certainly much better currently than in the past. Whats more important, I think, is who made them.

Secondly, I wouldn't sneeze at the RIA products. I recently bought a Rock Island Pro Match Ultra 45acp to play with. I am a dedicated Bullseye shooter and have several custom 45's with Kart barrels that I use in competition. As such I felt compelled to try my new Rock Island 45 straight out of the box in the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. My custom 45's will generally shoot 10 rounds that group 2" at 50 yards. Here are the results of the Rock Island, the small small circle is 1.5" and the large circle 3".
FWIW
Phil
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The groups in my first post were shot with Federal Gold Medal Match 185 SWC. Here is the group shot with my handload that I normally use. Looks like this pistol is good to go. Further, a friend also bought the same pistol and his 50 yd Ransom Rest were very similar to mine.
Phil

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TenX
MIM parts have evolved over the years and are certainly much better currently than in the past. Whats more important, I think, is who made them.

Secondly, I wouldn't sneeze at the RIA products. I recently bought a Rock Island Pro Match Ultra 45acp to play with. I am a dedicated Bullseye shooter and have several custom 45's with Kart barrels that I use in competition. As such I felt compelled to try my new Rock Island 45 straight out of the box in the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. My custom 45's will generally shoot 10 rounds that group 2" at 50 yards. Here are the results of the Rock Island, the small small circle is 1.5" and the large circle 3".
FWIW
Phil

I've got one of the Pro Ultra 10mms, in 6", and it shoots almost as good as yours. It's bulky, but doesn't kick much, even with "real" 10mm loads. I call it "Brutus". It's a pig to carry around, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
… I wouldn't sneeze at the RIA products. I recently bought a Rock Island Pro Match Ultra 45acp to play with. I am a dedicated Bullseye shooter and have several custom 45's with Kart barrels that I use in competition. As such I felt compelled to try my new Rock Island 45 straight out of the box in the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. My custom 45's will generally shoot 10 rounds that group 2" at 50 yards. Here are the results of the Rock Island, the small small circle is 1.5" and the large circle 3".
FWIW
Phil
Here are the results of the first five 175gr Silvertips from my RIA 52000 6” 10mm HiCap at 50 yards, hand held with a supporting bipod attached to the dust cover rail and a bag under my hands:

Sure can’t squawk about that performance. The only stuff on it that’s not stock is the Novak white dot front sight and the single sided RIA GI thumb safety.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've got one of the Pro Ultra 10mms, in 6", and it shoots almost as good as yours. It's bulky, but doesn't kick much, even with "real" 10mm loads. I call it "Brutus". It's a pig to carry around, though.

It’s three and a half pounds, fully loaded. I’ve told people that the Picatinny dust cover rail is really for convenience in attaching wheels. But, for its heft, it balances surprisingly well, held two hands standing - very stable:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Though it does alright, that’s not match grade ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Exchipy
… I wouldn't sneeze at the RIA products. I recently bought a Rock Island Pro Match Ultra 45acp to play with. I am a dedicated Bullseye shooter and have several custom 45's with Kart barrels that I use in competition. As such I felt compelled to try my new Rock Island 45 straight out of the box in the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. My custom 45's will generally shoot 10 rounds that group 2" at 50 yards. Here are the results of the Rock Island, the small small circle is 1.5" and the large circle 3".
FWIW
Phil
Here are the results of the first five 175gr Silvertips from my RIA 52000 6” 10mm HiCap at 50 yards, hand held with a supporting bipod attached to the dust cover rail and a bag under my hands:

Sure can’t squawk about that performance. The only stuff on it that’s not stock is the Novak white dot front sight and the single sided RIA GI thumb safety.

You're making it hard to resist one of those Steve!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZtwins
You're making it hard to resist one of those Steve!
Full disclosure: Some here will be quick to point out that I work for RIA, like that makes some kinda difference. It doesn’t. RIA 1911-A1 and A2 pistols succeed in the marketplace just fine on their own, without any help needed from me. I’ve chosen to keep and continue using certain RIA pistols personally (though not all models) because they’ve proven their worth to my satisfaction, as have my 3 Colt Government Models with their Bar-Sto barrels, my 4 Kahr Premier pistols in 9mm and .40S&W, my 3 Thompson/Center Contenders with their multiple 14” barrels, and my several Ruger and Smith & Wesson pistols and revolvers, many with Novak, XS or HiViz sights, all pictured and discussed elsewhere on this forum over these last few years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made this .45ACP Frankenpistol CCO (Colt Copy Obviously) using an RIA stainless steel Compact Size frame, a Les Baer Comanche carbon steel slide (Black Nitride treated), an Ed Brown 4-1/4” match grade stainless steel barrel and bushing, Ed Brown hammer, sear and slide stop, Chip McCormick lightweight trigger, VZ G-10 slim grips, Novak sights, and Wilson Combat stainless steel compact 7 shot magazines:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]There is that one flyer, but at least it was an X. I could see no benefit to using a costly stainless steel Colt Officer’s Model frame. The Colt name would not have made it look, handle or shoot any better.

This is how it started out:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] It certainly shot well enough, as I quickly cleared a six plate rack with it at SHOT Show Media Day 2020 (maybe the STOP tag hanging from the trigger guard improved the balance). Because it was one of the first two in the U.S., I bought that pistol then and there (wouldn’t even let the smiths clean it first), though I did hafta let it complete its duty as a shooting example for the media types that day, before it could be shipped to my FFL dealer. But later that year, because I’m not fond of .45ACP barrels shorter than 4 inches, I just had to change it to suit my preference (it’s a sickness).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.