Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's what I'm currently seeing with the Leupold DD bases I have.

1st pic are the bases that come packaged together with the extended rear and fronts
2nd pic is of a mix of the 1st package and a regular front base
Others are some overall scope positioning

Just not sure about the ring positioning being to close to the objective with the mixture of the two.

I can live with the rear extended base, but the front extended base is a no go for me.

Kinda liking the looks of the Warne QD and it appears they position the front ring a little more back than what I'd be dealing with currently.

Other option is to mount a VX5 2-10x42 that's sitting in the safe vs the 1.5-5 in the pictures.

Dirt - I found reference to your rifle when I 1st picked this up and 1/2 tempted to do the same. I picked this particular rifle up this past year at Scheels for 700+ tax, looked like someone had fired a few shots with the open sites and presume it went back into the safe.

Was one of those deals where I couldn't afford not to buy it. Of course like all things, the rifle was the cheap part as I just booked a cow cape buffalo hunt for next year (pockets aren't deep enough for a bull hunt at this time).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hope that you felt just a little bit guilty when walking out the door with that…..cause you stole it! I certainly don’t need another .375 H&H……but, I’d have grabbed that one! Congratulations ! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It never looks right to my eye when a two piece base is cantilevered over the breech.
Looks like your hole pattern is the Express pattern.
1st to 2nd: 0.330" 1st to 3rd: 4.660" 1st to 4th: 5.520"

Maybe use a one-piece base ?

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Here's what I'm currently seeing with the Leupold DD bases I have.

1st pic are the bases that come packaged together with the extended rear and fronts
2nd pic is of a mix of the 1st package and a regular front base
Others are some overall scope positioning

Just not sure about the ring positioning being to close to the objective with the mixture of the two.

I can live with the rear extended base, but the front extended base is a no go for me.

Kinda liking the looks of the Warne QD and it appears they position the front ring a little more back than what I'd be dealing with currently.

Other option is to mount a VX5 2-10x42 that's sitting in the safe vs the 1.5-5 in the pictures.

Dirt - I found reference to your rifle when I 1st picked this up and 1/2 tempted to do the same. I picked this particular rifle up this past year at Scheels for 700+ tax, looked like someone had fired a few shots with the open sites and presume it went back into the safe.

Was one of those deals where I couldn't afford not to buy it. Of course like all things, the rifle was the cheap part as I just booked a cow cape buffalo hunt for next year (pockets aren't deep enough for a bull hunt at this time).

Ah yes. Pics are worth a 1,000 words. One of the reasons I generally don't use DD's on my H&H magnum receivers. I'd go with the steel warne or Leupold QRW/PRW bases. Not only because they won't hang over the ejection port, but they are stronger, you can use QD type rings, plus they are a little easier to work with for fore to aft adjustment, because you can turn the front base around so the slots are more inboard, or further outboard.

Here are some Leupold QRW/PRW mounts on an H&H receiver:

The warne is a little more adjustable than the Leupold, as it has 2 slots in the front mount:

I don't really like that one, because it will either hang off the front of the receiver, or if you turn it the other directtion, it hangs into the ejection port. However, it's there, for cases like the OP is dealing with. I personally modify that Warne mount, and run a longer tube scope, if that is the issue. That's just me though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That looks good, BSA.
The OP should re-group and do something like that.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, thank you all...

Plan to order up some Leupold QRW bases and go that route

PS: Yes, I know I stole it and felt good about it smile My friend I was with was looking at me like WTF when I grabbed it and wouldn't set it back down. I wanted one when they were 1200 or so, but couldn't ever justify it and now with some bringing 2k plus I couldn't resist.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Yes, thank you all...

Plan to order up some Leupold QRW bases and go that route

PS: Yes, I know I stole it and felt good about it smile My friend I was with was looking at me like WTF when I grabbed it and wouldn't set it back down. I wanted one when they were 1200 or so, but couldn't ever justify it and now with some bringing 2k plus I couldn't resist.

You did very well. Plus that is a 5 digit, which makes it even more desirable. Well done!! I'll bet it shoots very well too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I goofed a couple years ago and passed a Winchester Stainless 375HH at Cabela’s, it was priced about $850 IIRC. I should not have passed. My 375 HH is a No 1 that needs to shot.
You did alright and with that rifle at $700+. Smarter than me for not passing.

Last edited by 338reddog; 03/14/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Here is my Win Classic Stainless 338
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's a classic look to me. ^^^

DD's always look good, I don't know what the OP's issues is, without pics.

When I'm not using DD's, I'll use the weaver style cross slot mounts for my heavier kickers. I'll also use steel over aluminum in those instances. Warne and Leupold both make some good mounts/bases. Then I prefer Burris Zee rings, or the Leupold PRW's for more heft on the magnums like the 375 H&H.

Op needs to post a picture, so he can show us exactly what he doesn't like about them.
Whats your rifle chambered in? I don’t remember my factory stock have that much texture in it.
Sitting in a hospital bed recovering from a knee replacement, might be a bit before I pull out a stock to refresh my memory. I have a 5 digit Cl. Stainless that needs a replacement factory stock. Someone shortened the original a bit. I have it setting in the factory stock from the rifle above. I do have a MPI or ! Stock I was going to fit on the 5 digit. To somewhat match the 338. I will have to fix the floorplate inlet as its for a 1 piece.

Last edited by 338reddog; 03/14/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Can’t remember. Will weigh it and post results when I get home from the office.

DF
9# 1oz empty.

1.5-6x42 Victory is not a light weight scope. With a Leupold it would be in the upper 8# range.

Balances at the receiver ring, which makes it feel and handle lighter than it did before the ”surgery”. With the OEM 24” “truck axle” it was way muzzle heavy, handled accordingly.

I learned that Winchester from that era, had all their big magnums with the same barrel contour. Of course the .375 had more steel in the barrel than the .416 or .458.

I don’t think I’d want a really light .375 H&H.

This one is a keeper.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks DF…..that sounds like a dream rifle! Exactly what my AI weighs “all up”! It’s a pleasure to carry when hunting, but does jump a bit when shot from the bench!

Had Winchester been making that when I built my AI……I would have had the perfect rifle. As it is, mine is just….near perfect!

Congrats……never let it go! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Go with Elmer and set you up a standing bench for the big guns. He knew what he was talking about.

BTW, this Classic is a 6 digit G gun, built in 2001.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Go with Elmer and set you up a standing bench for the big guns. He knew what he was talking about.

DF

I don’t think that I could ever get as stable standing at the bench as I could from a seated position.

Thankfully, I don’t have anything that has severe recoil. Maybe once you pass 70 or so ft/lbs recoil, tiny groups cease to be that important! 😂 memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

Yours is. The OP's looks like a 5 digit classic. I think Winchester should have made them more like yours to begin with. Or even a little lighter contour. A fluted 375 H&H EW would be a cool rifle. One with factory irons, and 22" barrel. Yours is just about perfect DF.. Even with the factory stock, as I know you probably bedded that one right, with Brownell's steel bed or something like that. I'm an odd ball though, I like the factory tupperware stocks. I always paint them, and install a better recoil pad, and glass bed them, but that's all they need, to be made serviceable and more appealing.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb

DF

I don’t think that I could ever get as stable standing at the bench as I could from a seated position.

Thankfully, I don’t have anything that has severe recoil. Maybe once you pass 70 or so ft/lbs recoil, tiny groups cease to be that important! 😂 memtb
Not quite as stable but pretty good for a big boomer.

I was sighting in my buds .416 M-70 with 400 gr NPT and SAF’s at 65 yds. Was able to get some pretty good groups.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at the grand opening of Walmart in Anchorage in spring of 1993.
Got mine NIB then and there while the Mom & Pop shops cursed the big box store come to town.
I had not seen one anywhere else before Walmart came to Alaska.

Mine was destined to become a .375 WBY MAG by a simple chamber reamer cleanup with the 2001 CIP version,
shorter throated than the 1945 version and very accurate.
Shot my tiniest 3-shot group ever at 100 yards with a hot handload and a custom 300-grain bullet.
The tupperware stock was replaced with an HS Precision.
Empty, iron-sighted rifle with QRW 2-pc bases weighed 8 lbs 11 oz.
Screws were 8x40-ed by gunsmith when it was re-chambered.
Pictures incoming ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rear scope base can be reversed for no overhang, but have to be this way to fit the old Leupold 2.5-8x36mm.
The Leupold 1.5-5x20mm works with no overhang of rear base.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice rifles gents!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I think I have Warne bases on mine, and I could likely flip the front looking at the pictures, but for now, I am leaving it as is. I think I used Leupold BC rings on mine with a plain old 6x42 with dots.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Tried an old M8 4X and liked the 6X more.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Awesome rifle…..in functionality and accuracy, plus a nice little “improvement”! 👍 The “only” thing that keeps it from being “perfect” is the weight, get her under about 9 1 or 2 loaded/scoped/slung……then you have the “PERFECT” rifle! 👍👍👍 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/16/24.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb
Awesome rifle…..in functionality and accuracy, plus a nice little “improvement”! 👍 The “only” thing that keeps it from being “perfect” is the weight, get her under about 9 1 or 2 loaded/scoped/slung……then you have the “PERFECT” rifle! 👍👍👍 memtb
9#, 1oz or so can be affected by the scope. The one I posted would be in the high 8 # range with a smaller Leopold glass.

To me, the scope I mounted is worth the cost and weight. Its light gathering is top notch. One guy who hunts Africa commented what a great leopard combo that would be. Makes sense.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those barrels are really accurate, more so than one would expect.

I have a bragging 3 shot target, too. Not easy to duplicate, but sure if nice when you shoot one like that.

Those big bores are often surprisingly accurate.

DF

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,789
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.