Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Done, as pictured. Had my fill of blind construction in the heat which lasts pretty much until November.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s a big ass stand

5 X 7, very comfortable for two.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Well I made some scope mount changes on three rifles so now I have to shoot and re-zero a 338-06, a 35 Whelen and a 260 remington.

I need to clear some Cedars and Autumn Olives in front of one of my ladder stands. Need to get the camera's out around 1st September to see what we have on the farm.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/15/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like quite a few folk earn their deer!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

I’d hate to know how much I’ve spent and hours working on deer lease things, but I enjoy it very much.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used to compile a Lease To-Do list almost from the last day of the previous season. No task too large, I would work unfettered for weekends on end until the task was finished & waiting to be transported. In the year-round humidity of the Tx Gulf Coast, I would sweat it out. I would mostly work in my lounging shorts so I could just drip sweat. I would make repeated trips, no matter the mileage, during the off-season so that opening day was everything I dreamed it could be. My longest one way drive was 400 miles & thought nothing of it.

After not one, but two near miss accidents on the lease, it finally occurred to me that I was on a collision course with a possible life altering event if I kept up that mentality. I decided to the impetuous behavior & downsize my operations to a single trip pre-season/post-season.

I operate much safer now & I no longer stress over any of the preparation. I actually look forward to its simplicity. It's nice to have good tools.

The is no more strain for any of it, either mental or physical. Whomever all of my things go to, after my demise, will have some nice stuff.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

I’d hate to know how much I’ve spent and hours working on deer lease things, but I enjoy it very much.

Knock yourself out, but I kinda like just throwing my schitt in the truck and driving 20 minutes to the WMA. I guess that’s not as simple in TX as around here……

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Find a new place to hunt. “F’ing” Weyerhaeuser sold the property I have been leasing from them. 35 years of only memories now.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Find a new place to hunt. “F’ing” Weyerhaeuser sold the property I have been leasing from them. 35 years of only memories now.

That happened to me about 6 years ago.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Need to figure out why my Bobcat isnt snapping a cap. Weak spring maybe? Havewnt taken any game with it yet and I'm itching to.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will not screw with cloverleafing loads.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Get into shape

Walked a 3 mile loop yesterday and just about died. Been a couch potato all winter

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Get at least one knee replaced.

Same here, been fighting it since 2018. Blew ACL in 94 with meniscus tore up. Knew it was coming someday, now is the time.

Obviously do not have huge expectations for this fall. Will be doing a lot of rehab and sitting with bow and rifle.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Maintain 6 food plots on my property. Blinds are already placed and producing nice bucks. Just bought my wife a Ravin R26X for her birthday. Just need to get her zero tweaked so she can get her spring turkey and then wait for fall.
All the heavy lifting has been done over the past 5 years so now we can relax and enjoy life

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Same as every year, find a public land buck that I will shoot (150") minimum.....Hb

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Moose are deer.

Clear some deadfall and alder thru a couple routes in for about a mile from the road for walking in, decide on a camp site, find and prep a-couple tree stand sites and clear routes to them, portage a canoe into 3rd lake and set up camp a few days before, for quiet access

I too preferred slip hunting the area before antler restriction went into affect. Jump shooting slot-limit bulls out of their bed doesnt give time to both determine legality and shoot usually, plus, last year after 14 years absence, I found Deadfall, alder growth and chest high grass makes slip hunting the bedding areas ( greatly expanded now) to be almost impassible and dangerous. The moose love it, and in the brief time I hunted last year, I located 3 bulls, so I know they are still there, tho in reduced numbers, but hunting pressure has dropped off to almost nothing. I can live (or die) with being the lone idiot in a hell-hole with fewer bulls than there were. smile

Btdt several times before- just haven't been this old.... If necessary, plan B is smaller pieces and/or more packing time/ and/or younger packers, even if they turn out to be one-time pussies. Got at least one potentially lined up.

First, kill a moose!

Decide on which rifle. I would prefer the 725 .260, but probably take the heavier Ru77 .338WM. Thars bar in them there woods. Big, brown ones. Never seen a blackie in there.

Last edited by las; 03/18/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Got some loading to do for sure, 26 Nosler, 270, 338 Federal, 270 Weatherby, some others too

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Still trying to find another affordable spot to hunt before its tag application time here. No dice so far... ain't paying 4 figures to hunt a 7 day season.

I'll just hunt public over the line in Indiana if I don't pull something in state before applications are due.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Find a place to hunt.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1. Sell a few guns off.

2. Check zero on a couple keepers and do load development on a 30-06.

3. #1 makes life easier. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Get at least one knee replaced.

Better get going. My wife had one knee done late last summer. She is just getting some good mobility now.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.