Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eldorado
Yes luv2safari!

Please contact me on the price and shipping!!!

Your very special Friend:

Eldorado

PM sent...I have an idea how you can have one at a real decent price, Matt. wink

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The 550FS is a heavy b!tch, but balances nicely for me.

VAnimrod, what do you mean by heavy? Without a scope it should weigh about 7.5#s. A Ruger RSI weighs about 6.5#s. The RSI has an 18" barrel and the 550FS has a 20" barrel.

A heavy b!tch is my No. 1B it weighs in at 10.5#s.

I too like the way the 550FS balances.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TMan
Thanks Guys,

Adding up all of the responses, and dividing by 7 :), I went down into the gun shop, put a couple of swipes with the silicone cloth on the Whelen, and carefully put it back in the safe.

But the 9.3X62 CZ is one huge temptation.

Of course, the true "rifle looney" grin solution is to own both a .35 Whelen and a 9.3x62! I have both and I like both of them. No NEED for both but I LIKE owning and shooting them!

-Bob F. smile

T
TMan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments:

If you already have a good .35 Whelen, there really isn't much need for a 9.3x62.

In general, the 9.3x62 has replaced both the .338 Winchester and .375 H&H for my use. It also allows two more rounds in the magazine than either of those belted cases (at least in most rifles), which may or may not be important. But when it is, it REALLY is.

Thanks again for all of the opinions.

My Whelen replaced my .375 H&H after a session at the bench, that left me with a detached retina. But, having blown my Africa safari cash on college tuitions, I won't be going to Africa soon, unless my lottery investments pull through :-).

But there's a set of CZ's at the local shop. A 6.5 X 55, and a 9.3 X 62, and one of 'em is coming home with me soon.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get the 9.3x62! I seriously don't think you'll regret it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
CZ 550 American in 9.3x62
Handload: 286 gr Woodleigh round nose at 2390 fps (58.0 gr of RL-15)

I find the recoil of my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 to be less than my Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H. And, my Ruger weighs about 10.5 lb with scope while my CZ weighs about 8.5 lb with scope. I don't know how to explain it (stock design, velocity of recoil, recoil impulse, or whatever) but I find my 9.3x62 with a 286 gr bullet at 2400 fps to be much more pleasant to shoot than my .375 H&H with a 300 gr bullet at 2500 fps. The 9.3x62 has become one of my favorite cartridges. Ol' Otto Bock certainly knew what he was doing when he designed it!

My two cents....

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep that is the rifle--

looks like it is too good of shape for me to own...

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My own CZ 550 9.3 weighs 8.5 pounds with a 4x Leupold in Talley mounts. (Or at least it did before I sent it off to Serengeti to be restocked in fancy Circassian. It may weigh a little less then, as the stock profile will be slimmer than the factory CZ.)

In general I have found 8.5 pounds a pretty good weight for rifles of noticeable but not severe recoil. It's about what my .300 Weatherby and .375 Ruger weigh scoped, for instance. That's not exactly the weight I'd want on a sheep or mule deer hunt, but then none of those would be my first choice for a shep or muley hunt....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
YUou make a very convincing point about the utility of the 9.3x62 on this thread and I gotta agree, I am very pleased with my three 9.3s and may have another built on a 1935 Oberndorf action I am "negotiating"for. The 286NP at 2500 is a comforting thing in G-bear land and the five shot capacity IS, as you said, a very good option to have here in BC.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the 5-round capacity isn't needed very often--but when it is, it's very handy!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tomk
� I would like to come across a Husky 98 in a 9.3x62, though...

One of the most cherished rifles in my collection � gift from a Swedish gun-maker friend � is a pre-World War Two 9.3x57mm Husqvarna with 100% original blue. He gave it to me expecting me to rebarrel, customize, and restock � but it's in too good a condition to be messed with. I haven't even drilled and tapped it for a scope or lowered the bolt handle. Don't intend to.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mr. Howell, I bet that is a fine classic looking rifle and a shooter to boot. Is it built on a 98 action or 96?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At one time,Sarco in NJ had several hundred 9.3 x 57 Husquevarna model 98s in stock,at around $250-$300.I bought two of them which were both drilled and tapped and had the bolts bent already,one with an adjustable trigger installed.Of course I had the advantage of living in NJ and could therefore go down there and pick through a bunch.9.3x62 rounds will definately cycle through the magazine,so eventually I'll just need the chamber bored out.
They all had sporter stocks with pistol grip,no cheekpiece,very sparse checkering,sporter iron sights (some two leaf express type),barrel mounted front sling swivels.You might want to give them a call and see if they have any left.I suspect that if they do,they won't be drilled and tapped or have bent bolts,but you never know.Even their guys don't know for sure until they open the crates. The phone is 908-647-3800 in their current add in Shotgun News.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah Ken, I need one that is in poor enough condition to be adulterated.

Got a bunch of grief from Browning "collectors" following some sacriledge smile

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ok, you guys have just about got me talked into buying a CZ 550 in 9.3x62. Planning a Brown Bear hunt this fall and I've read enough about the caliber and the CZ's to know it's time to get one. Problem is, wet Alaska weather. What synthetic stock can I put on it with out it costing me an arm and a leg, be somewhat drop-in or at least a simple glass job?

I already have a 4x Leupold ready to go and it seems reloading components and tools will come easily.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You could just buy the Tikka stainless synthetic with the optional drop box magazine - it holds five in the magazine alone. In the camo version it looks great too.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A synthetic stock for your CZ 9.3 is not a bad idea. However, the CZ wood stocks come with a notoriously tough finish; some extra sealing with a polyurethane based finish and some Johnson's wax is a fairly weather resistant alternative.
By the way, I love my new CZ 550FS 9.3X62 more everytime I take it to the range. Besides being accurate from the bench; it is very easy and natural to shoot offhand and sitting. I will take it hunting for something this year, even if it is only undersized Texas doe.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Get the CZ. You know you want to.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
TMan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Actually, one of the guys on the forum won a 7mm-08 Stainless Mtn rifle, and didn't want it. He posted a super price, and I gassed up and headed to PA.

The trigger's on the new M700's are, well, awful. But I managed a couple of 3 shot groups in the 0.075 MOA range after I located the paper. It has potential.

But the 9.3 X 62 seems like a great cartridge, and my experience with the Whelen is that most shooters in search of more power would be well served by either. A Whelen that consistantly shoots < MOA with several loads is hard to replace. I'll just keep mine, and read the reports on the 9.3 X 62. At least 'til my wife wins the lottery, and pays for a trip to Africa.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSSP
What synthetic stock can I put on it with out it costing me an arm and a leg, be somewhat drop-in or at least a simple glass job?

Give Ed or Wayne a call at American Hunting Rifles. They have a synthetic stock for the 9.3x62 for $395. No wait either as they have a few on hand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tomk
I can't imagine 36 grains is going to make any difference over the Whelen.

I would like to come across a Husky 98 in a 9.3x62, though...

You just did, and the extra 36 grains make a big difference in BIG critters. wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (3333vl, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 13,843 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,250
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.