Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Rent the equipment and have fun custom clearing your lot a small excavator with a thumb or a bobcat with a heavy duty brush hog should make short work

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Buy a Stihl......
You will Stihl be trying to get it started 😉 meanwhile husky is working.

This^.

The Forestry Service here in North Carolina will help you manage your trees for free. I bet Georgia is the same.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Rent the equipment and have fun custom clearing your lot a small excavator with a thumb or a bobcat with a heavy duty brush hog should make short work

8s and 10s are too big for a hog.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
I've got about 15 or so acres of 8-10 foot tall pines that are thick as hair. Should I talk to a forestry consultant? Or what is the best way to thin them to encourage tree growth and wildlife?

Forestry mulcher probably.

And yes... talk to your local State Forester... typically free.

I'm sure not much of a fan of mulchers.

They are multi-problematic. Expensive, wear out your equipment twice as fast as not running a mulcher, leave stumps so that you can't use ground engaging implements, and with most woody type growth...it'll grow back thicker and harder to control. (Pines won't though... once you cut a pine, it's done.)

I'd rather use a puller. Pull the ones you want, and stack them to burn.

You are correct about $$$ on a mulcher... but 15 acres ain't a small task.

Depending on end result desired... a mulcher could make some rows or working zones...

Mulching all 15 acres would be huge money.

If mine... I would work up access and do a combo of spray, cut and burn.

Regardless... It is gonna be a lot of work.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You are correct about $$$ on a mulcher... but 15 acres ain't a small task.

Mulching all 15 acres would be huge money.

Regardless... It is gonna be a lot of work.

Selectively clearing 15 acres isn't THAT much work.

I clear much harder woody type trees and brush down here, and 15 acres would be a small project for me. I did one 15ac tract that was way overgrown, and pulled and stacked all the big trees (about 15 ft in height and 8-10" at the base), then came in with my HD batwing cutter and cut all the smaller stuff.

2 days total.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Also... Look into Habitat Creation Zone programs with your Forester.

The USDA pays me to cut trees for endangered migratory birds.

These zones are ALSO excellent habitat for grouse, turkey poults etc.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I clear much harder woody type trees and brush down here, and 15 acres would be a small project for me. I did one 15ac tract that was way overgrown, and pulled and stacked all the big trees (about 15 ft in height and 8-10" at the base), them came in with my HD batwing cutter and cut all the smaller stuff.

2 days total.

He should hire you...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the perfect application for a forestry mulcher. They'll eat it right up.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Buy a Stihl......

This^.

The Forestry Service here in North Carolina will help you manage your trees for free. I bet Georgia is the same.
This is probably the best advice. Consult with the local forester. See what he suggests. I do a lot of thinning work locally and there is a cost share program for property owners. See if something similar is available in your region

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I clear much harder woody type trees and brush down here, and 15 acres would be a small project for me. I did one 15ac tract that was way overgrown, and pulled and stacked all the big trees (about 15 ft in height and 8-10" at the base), them came in with my HD batwing cutter and cut all the smaller stuff.

2 days total.

He should hire you...

If I was close, I'd do it! smile

I hate trailering equipment, even locally. My loader isn't much of an issue though. It loads and unloads quickly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJ65
Buy a Stihl......

Three running Stihls currently in my shop, and a 288 that's needs, something, or other. I'll fix it one of these days, maybe.
And I have 4 working huskies in my truck. One being a late 80s 288. And 2 stihls torn apart in the shop.

My 288 was a pretty good saw to run on my Alaska mill, likely because i didn't give a chit about it. Not worth a damn buckin' firewood though. My Stihl 362 would out cut it every time. Probably the coil went out. One of these days I'll break it down and figure it out.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have never found pine stands to be of much interest to deer. Wind block and protection from snow aside.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I have never found pine stands to be of much interest to deer. Wind block and protection from snow aside.

I have a stand of tall mature pines on the back of my place. The deer just pass through them going to and from places they like better.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm in the process of removing pines & junipers[eastern cedar] on a piece of bottom land that's swampy.
Currently it's too wet[swampy] to use my tractor to push the cuts around.

The worst thing about evergreens is the quantity of limbs each tree contains!

Brush piles get real big real fast!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got about 15 or so acres of 8-10 foot tall pines that are thick as hair. Should I talk to a forestry consultant? Or what is the best way to thin them to encourage tree growth and wildlife?

Forestry mulcher probably.

And yes... talk to your local State Forester... typically free.
This.

A mulch head on a skid steer will eat that place up in no time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am currently thinning a pinion pine forest. The best way for my operation is a 4-wheel drive truck and a 3/8" chain and pulling them up by the roots. I burnt 68 slash piles this year. Several so large I fully expected the International Space Station to call in a 911 report.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
8-10 foot pines is not high at all assuming the OP’s estimate is correct. Bet there is plenty of understory beneficial for all sorts of wildlife

I’ve had about 35 acres of property mulched. From too thick to walk thru to open enough to see from one end to the other. We run a fire thru it as often as we can which I’ve found is the best way to keep it from coming back with a vengeance.

My purpose for the mulching was more open understory for turkey at the expense of deer cover

Last edited by ShortMagFan; 03/14/24. Reason: Typo
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mulching is a great way to thin vegetation density and structure, making subsequent fire a realistic tool to manage the stand going forward.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Consulting forester should be able to steer you right, or you can speak with a county ranger or wildlife biologist employed by the state. Around here 15 acres is a marginal-sized tract, even with mature timber on it, but if there is a logging job going on adjacent to or near your place you might get it thinned eventually. But 8-10 foot stems aren't going to attract any interest on a commercial (positive cash flow) basis. So for a pre-commercial thinning you are left with your chainsaw, a fairly hot prescribed burn, or a mechanical job such as a KG shear, drum chopper, or a mulcher.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
8-10 foot pines is not high at all assuming the OP’s estimate is correct. Bet there is plenty of understory beneficial for all sorts of wildlife

I’ve had about 35 acres of property mulched. From too think to walk thru to open enough to see from one end to the other. We run a fire thru it as often as we can which I’ve found is the best way to keep it from coming back with a vengeance.

My purpose for the mulching was more open understory for turkey at the expense of deer cover
This is what I did with my place 2 years ago. I probably thinned less than 10% so deer habits and travels weren't changed but I see far more turkey sign and see birds using my mulched trails traveling.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/14/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,134
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.