-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot Lightfield's out of my Browning A-Bolt and Winchester partition golds out of my Benelli Super Black Eagle dedicated slug guns. Have always had good accuracy and mostly bang-flops on deer.

I took a Savage 1899 in 38-55 out this year because of the whole straight walled thing being ok in PA for doe after I got my buck and had a big tracking job on a decent hit doe. It was fun to use the Savage - looking at it and all that in the tree stand - but a pain in the butt to track the doe. It ran about 200 yards leaking all the way. Next time I want to use a straight wall I'll grab my 45-70 Ruger #1.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot Remington Accutips out of my Savage 220. Federal Trophy Copper are good as well. They dropped the Barnes Expander load awhile back.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My slug gun was a Winchester M/25 with an E.R. Shaw rifled barrel, Federal sabot slugs shot the most accurately. It accounted for many whitetails, never needed a second shot most were bang-flops.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
both the good ones are no more. lightfields and buckhammers were super in the old H and R.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Lightfield no longer makes hunting ammo.

Dayum. This is crazy to me. They were excellent or at least really reliable in so many different shotguns.

Why? Are they all LEO stuff, or military, or ?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rayporter
both the good ones are no more. lightfields and buckhammers were super in the old H and R.

Buckhammers rattled teeth in a stock mossberg 500. Hit very hard on both ends. They really do hammer deer. Love that meplat. I have one box elft somewhere.

Another one i used to rely on was remington copper solids. They were accurate for me in a rifled barrel, but the $$ was prohibitive for practicing at the range (distance shooting).

Went to lightfields (universally quite good) and then Brenneke KO and KO sabots (not quite as accurate but plenty so for sub 100yds and hit great.

Now i use whatever and limit shots to 40 - 50 yds . I cant afford the $ and aggravation to practice and figure out the slugs that each of my shotguns likes. Use the ML almost exclusively now anyway.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have killed deer with the Barnes Expanders loaded by Remington, Rem Buckhammers, and Rem Accutips. I am
proud to say Indiana and many surrounding states changed their deer hunting laws to allow pistol caliber and some CF caliber rifles. If I never shoot another slug in my life I'll die a happy man. I can only imagine how many people were turned off by being limited to slugs and MLs only.

Indiana DNR reported record numbers of deer hunting license sales after they changed their laws. Even more interesting was how many more of those licenses were purchased by/for youth and women.

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by grouseman
Any recommendations for good sabot slugs for 12 gauge? I just picked up a rifled barrel for a 930, and next step is to get a red dot mounted on the receiver.

I am using Remington Accutips in my Savage 220 and an 870 20 gauge with a cantilever barrel.

I tend to ue SST's in 12 gauge gun the rare times I use them anymore. I will go to accutips when I run out. The SSTs seem a bit hot in my Ithacas.

I have never gotten good results with receiver mounted optics on a switch barrel gun.

Truthfully, I would just go get a Savage 220 if I were you. It gives you a 175-200 yard capable gun without accuracy issues.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dinny
I have killed deer with the Barnes Expanders loaded by Remington, Rem Buckhammers, and Rem Accutips. I am
proud to say Indiana and many surrounding states changed their deer hunting laws to allow pistol caliber and some CF caliber rifles. If I never shoot another slug in my life I'll die a happy man. I can only imagine how many people were turned off by being limited to slugs and MLs only.

Indiana DNR reported record numbers of deer hunting license sales after they changed their laws. Even more interesting was how many more of those licenses were purchased by/for youth and women.

^ congrats. Trying in NJ. Couldnt agree more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I found the old WW BRI 2&3/4” to shoot best in my 870 w Hastings barrel. Pretty sure WW quit making them. I’ve tried about everything else I can find and nothing shoots well enough for me to attempt shooting much over 75 yards. The BRI’s clover leafed at that range and killed very well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
I went to start writing a response, and realized my last time out with a saboted slug was before the turn of the century.

What I will tell you is back in my day, finding a sabot and barrel that worked together well was an expensive chore. Friends were blowing $600 on ammo to find the right combination.

I decided to stick with cheap and keep my distances short.

Same here. I have a Hastings Paradox on an 11-87 and spent several hundred testing different stuff with blah results. The best ones are the 1oz Federals but we're talking 3" at 50 but that's plenty good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by grouseman
Any recommendations for good sabot slugs for 12 gauge? I just picked up a rifled barrel for a 930, and next step is to get a red dot mounted on the receiver.

I am using Remington Accutips in my Savage 220 and an 870 20 gauge with a cantilever barrel.

I tend to ue SST's in 12 gauge gun the rare times I use them anymore. I will go to accutips when I run out. The SSTs seem a bit hot in my Ithacas.

I have never gotten good results with receiver mounted optics on a switch barrel gun.

Truthfully, I would just go get a Savage 220 if I were you. It gives you a 175-200 yard capable gun without accuracy issues.

The 220 is badass. More like a rifle than a shotgun.

W
W
My Remington 1100 w Hastings rifled barrel shoots Remington Accu-Tips the best, even though the Hastings website says not to use them. 🤔

There is no right answer, you have to try a bunch until you find out which work best.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have always found slug guns to individuals. Each one I have ever owned seems to have a favorite. Buy one box of a couple different ones to try. When I had a rifled barrel, I did well with the Lightfields. Recoil was heavy but I like that they were a bigger diameter slug in a thinner sabot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 42 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.