Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks John. After 62 years I've decided the 8mm is my new pet project as I have neglected the .323 JS for these many decades. Hope I have good results. Have you ever used the round rubber dohickeymagigger that slides up and down the barrel and is supposed to work like the Browning-Winchester Boss System? I purchased one for less than $10.00 at Wal-Mart. Maybe this will help with my old semi sporterized 8 x 57 JS.

Glenn Campbell
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My last run on black bears was four in a row from 2012 to 2015. And three of those on the same private property in 2012, 2013 and 2015. The other was in 2014 on Crown Land. The three on private property (old farm land) were taken with my Tika T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. I used 3 different bullets. The first (2012) was a 286 Hornady SP-RP at +2400 fps. It had been wounded by a young friend, and I had to chase it down, going away, with a shot to its short ribs on the right side and the Hornady came out its back behind its shoulders taking out 6 - 7 inches of vertebrae. The Hornady went off into the trees beyond leaving no traces of metal behind. Impact would have been ~2300 fps.

A year later, I killed my own bear (over bait) from a tree stand using the same rifle with a 286 Partition at 68 yds to the bait barrel (lazered). The bear was standing off to the side of the barrel about 15 ft, eating something from the barrel, looking up at me. In the 28 - 30" tall grass, weeds and bush, I could only see his head and top of shoulders. I aimed just below his chin and fired. He disappeared in the weeds and grass. My partner at another bear-bait setup 2 miles away, called to see if I needed help. I said: "Yep!!" It took him about 15 minutes to get there. In the meantime I found a dead bear at the bottom of an escarpment, which was 20 yds from the bait barrel and 20 more yds to the bottom. He gave a hand in field dreessng and it was a challenge in getting the bear up out of there. It was dark by then and we hung it over night on a big limb at the back side of the tree my stand was in. Next morning, early, in skinning, my left hand felt something hard, just poking through the hide in front of the right hip. I thought it was bone, but the bullet fell out to the ground. I picked it up covered in blood and fat, brushed it off and stuck it in a jacket pocket. Next day I cleaned it up and weighed it. MV was +2600 with impact about 2500 fps. It had tumbled with some "wings" pointing forward, slightly bent with front core missing. It retained 211 grs or nearly 74% of initial weight. It was a 6' bear from nose to tail.

Two years later on the same property (different location in 2015), I shot another 6' boar bear from my tree stand at 85 yds. That bear would not come to the bait when I was there (I was using a trail cam behind the bait barrel, and identified 11 bears had been visiting the site in a week. 3 sows - one with 1 cub, another with 2 cubs, and a 3rd with 3 cubs - never at the same time. Plus two good size male bears - always alone. The one I shot was the largest of those two). Same rifle (9.3 x 62) but the bullet was the Nosler 250gr AB at ~2700 fps (RL-17 for both Noslers). I left my stand one chilly evening to go across an open pasture to my van for a sweaater and some food. When I returned this reluctand bear was on the bait barrel. I shot him high in the back (right side) behind the shoulders and the 250 AB made exit in the left-side chest, low, taking a chunk out of the left leg. That 250 AB went off into the ground somewhere - in one piece. Bear went 20 yds with massive blood loss that a near blind person could follow. Impact velocity would have been about 2600 fps. That bear was 7 ft from top of head to heel.

That was the most accurate load in that rifle at SUB 1/2 MOA. Other loads were the 232 Oryx and 320gr Woodleigh PP at +2400 fps for each - they shot into the same group at 100 yds.

That 4th bear was killed in 2014 on Crown Land using my .458 Win Mag (CZ 550).

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 03/29/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by duckster
My go to bullet in the .257 Roberts had been the 100 grain Hornady Interlock but I don't know that they are available any longer. Might have to try a BT now.

In my experience the "improved" Ballistic Tips tend to retain about as much weight as Interlocks, about 40% to 60% of their original weight, and work very similarly on game.

Of course, these days many hunters--even deer hunters--think bullets need to retain at least 90% or they won't kill well. This has not been my experience, even on larger game. One of the African PHs I've hunted with more than once mentioned during a discussion that he thinks 40-60% weight retention is just about perfect for all but the largest game. His favorite all-around load for culling, or backing up plains-game hunters on any game smaller than eland, is the 130-grain Interlock Spire Point in his .270 Winchester....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my grandson age 11 used his 257 Roberts last year with a 75 gr. Hammer Hunter bullet deer was side shot thru the lungs , bullet went thru the deer then tipped over about a 90 yard shot . the main reason i loaded this size bullet was less recoil but still had some zip too the bullet. son`s sweetheart shot a huge doe with my 220 Swift bullet was a 60 gr. Nosler Partition went thru lungs and out the shoulder on back side bullet kept going , was a 100 yard shot doe went 20 yds. and piled up. i kinda am starting to wonder maybe a smaller good bullet shooting faster might be all is needed ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,269
Posts18,504,956
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.