Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My bedding jobs all look funny, lol.
Chockfast is some awesome schidt ain't it? At Crowley we had trouble with block expansion on the first 20 cylinder EMD engines we installed...the block would lengthen about a tenth of an inch when it got hot...chockfast to the rescue. Old machinists said, that'll never work, it's just plastic. Hah. We eventually used it on Cooper bearing pedestals on the shafts too.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jesus, sounds like you could use it in place of babbit metal in a Model T engine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My bedding jobs all look funny, lol.
Chockfast is some awesome schidt ain't it? At Crowley we had trouble with block expansion on the first 20 cylinder EMD engines we installed...the block would lengthen about a tenth of an inch when it got hot...chockfast to the rescue. Old machinists said, that'll never work, it's just plastic. Hah. We eventually used it on Cooper bearing pedestals on the shafts too.

It is a lot tougher than I thought it could be. As you probably know, the tugs get their engines changed out after they hit a certain amount of hours, by EPA regulations. It holds up well, for all the vibration and weight it's subjected to. I didn't work repair for too long, but was a supervisor at a small yard for a couple years, where we did a lot of tug boat repair work. I often thought the splash zone and chockfast would be interesting to try as a bedding compound, but it's damn expensive. I'm sure a can of that stuff would bed a schidt load of rifles though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used Belzona Splash Zone on intake manifolds, cylinder heads and engine blocks. As good as it is for those applications, it would be a poor choice for bedding material.

For those who want to go off the reservation when it comes to bedding epoxies, Master Bond has some products that work very well.

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have used Brownell's Accuglas jel for 40 plus years. Never had problem.

I too, have used Acraglas Gel…..for about 30 yrs.
Don’t see a reason to quit now. It’s easy to work with and results have been fantastic. I will say, one time(years ago) I got rushed/sloppy with measuring and mixing a batch of it and it didn’t cure right(was soft).
So, I dremeled it out of the stock and started over….problem solved.

Just follow the instructions exactly(not hard as it’s a 1:1 mixture).
I tend to be a bit OCD and will usually stir/fold it for a good 5 min. paying particular attention to scraping the sides of the mixing cup to ensure all is thoroughly mixed.
So far(30 yrs and probably 30 rifles bedded) I have not experienced any loss in accuracy or noticed any dimensional changes or loosening in the bedding.🤔

Good stuff in my opinion.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 03/14/24.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For synthetic stocks i use Devvon 10110 most of the time. For wood where i want to dye the resin i like Acraglass.i use fiberglass flock and in some areas, metal powder . I use carbon fiber to reinforce the lug area. A good bedding job is 90% prep.
I've tried one bedding compound twice. Both times it did not release. I like to use the ones i know work.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.