Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Trying to replace the 700 trigger with a TT Primary. Anyone have an idea here? The bolt release is covering part of the front drift pin, can't quit get a punch in there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drift it the other way

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am trying to drift from the side showing, left side out to the right side. Just can't get a punch in there.

Ed
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Drift out the rear first. Remove the bolt stopspring and bolt stop . Then the trigger will swing out of the rear and you can drift the front Reverse to re install. It’s tricky but not difficult

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably other videos available,but this will get you the info you need.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bella1, I'm trying to avoid that, but looks more and more like the only option frown

baldhunter, I have watched that video, and others. They are punching the drift pin out left to right, but in the video the bolt release is not partially covering the the pin.

Ed
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you tried to come under the lever like this ?
(also put safety ON)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Have you tried to come under the lever like this ?
(also put safety ON)

Yes. I have the correct size punch. With safety on or off the bolt release still covers to much of the pin, and the release lever cannot be pushed up or pulled down to clear the pin. I don't have a smaller punch. i'm looking for a smaller punch a the moment.

Last edited by 308ld; 03/16/24.

Ed
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 308ld
Bella1, I'm trying to avoid that, but looks more and more like the only option
Why?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate the 700 trigger.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Bella1, I'm trying to avoid that, but looks more and more like the only option
Why?

Only because I'd prefer to drift the rear pin just enough to capture the release and spring, but also allow the trigger to be removed. But, as a last resort...

Ed
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s been 5 hours since you first posted so maybe you’ve figured it out—REMOVE THE SAFETY LEVER AND BOLT RELEASE ASSEMBLY FIRST.

This will allow the front of the bolt stop to be pushed further up and clear the front pin.

I find it easier to remove the rear pin first to begin with. It does take some dexterity to line up the bolt stop and spring when installing the rear pin, and keep the sear spring in place.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Casey, I set it aside about 4.5 hours ago. Just answering some questions that have come up. Going to pickup a couple of smaller punches, see how that goes. If I was doing this regularly I'd jump right in. The last one I did, was also the first, about 2 years ago. Lets just say when the lever and spring jumped out it was not a good experience. Trying to avoid that again.

Ed
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Take the rear out first. Just put the reciever in a large zip lock bag to contain the spring if you're worried about losing it. I use a long 1/8" dowel pin to put in the rear when going back together. Once it's all together, drive the dowel pin out with the original pin....keeps the spring and lever in place.

Takes longer to describe than it takes to do it.

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Casey, I set it aside about 4.5 hours ago. Just answering some questions that have come up. Going to pickup a couple of smaller punches, see how that goes. If I was doing this regularly I'd jump right in. The last one I did, was also the first, about 2 years ago. Lets just say when the lever and spring jumped out it was not a good experience. Trying to avoid that again.

lol….i have at least one sear spring and at least one bolt release spring that have flown SOMEWHERE in my shop…….one of these days I’ll find the bastirds….

Removing the safety and bolt release levers/assemblies does NOT remove the bolt stop itself and its spring—they are still captured by the rear pin.

Remove the c-clip on the side of the trigger housing, careful not to lose the little ball bearing, pull the pin out and safety lever and the sliding bolt stop lever that lays on the side of the trigger housing will come out.

This is the method required to access the front pin.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
And I’ve used Al’s method too. Or wrap a towel or rag around the end of the receiver.

Remember, the sear spring is under the sear and the sear has tension too. Which means there are two springs that have to be accounted for simultaneously.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well got it done this morning. Had to remove the rear pin first, as those in the know suggested. At least I was ready for the jump this time. I was able to cover everything with my hand as I was punching out the pin. Also went back easier than I remember.

All is good. Thanks to everyone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bella1
Drift out the rear first. Remove the bolt stopspring and bolt stop . Then the trigger will swing out of the rear and you can drift the front Reverse to re install. It’s tricky but not difficult
That!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.