Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Who can you recommend for a bolt stop mod on a Remington. I know Chad at LRI does them. Anyone else.
It's not a project i want to do myself.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you dont care about shipping the action try Kampfield customs he has pretty quick turn around.
Carlsbad on accurateshooter i believe does to, he's bushed some bolts for me turned around in a couple weeks

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/13/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used LRI in 2023 for the second M700 receiver I had so modified. (The first one was too small for my fingers.) Very well done and timely. I wouldn't look further.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kampfeld $100
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LRI $165

I have a Defiance action (R700 clone) here that has the side bolt release located at about 9:30 and hopefully that puts it out of conflict with the stock.
Looks like the Kampfeld is rotated above 9:00 as well to avoid the stock and I can't see an upper pivot pin hole which is kind of cool.
The LRI looks like it was located at 9:00 which puts it in conflict with the stock as shown in the pic.
My Defiance has a small pin hole showing like the LRI version.
If my Kampfeld pic is representative of their work, I'd go with the Kampfeld.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
T
T
I put a Ruger 77 safety on on my 721, as suggested by Hambly-Clark from Australia. Drill a hole and thread it for a screw and open a square hole in the side of the action. Looks Mauserish.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Troutcreeks
I put a Ruger 77 safety on on my 721, as suggested by Hambly-Clark from Australia. Drill a hole and thread it for a screw and open a square hole in the side of the action. Looks Mauserish.
I don't need a safety, but rather a bolt stop/ release

NRA Benefactor Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Who can you recommend for a bolt stop mod on a Remington. I know Chad at LRI does them. Anyone else.
It's not a project i want to do myself.
I understand that you don't want to do one yourself, but check out Defensive Edge's bolt stop. The kit comes with the pivot pin and a spring along with directions for installation. I've done ½ a dozen of them, you just have to take accurate measurements. Rotate the action a few degrees from 90° and the bolt stop will be above the show line of the stock.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Link?

NRA Benefactor Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Defensive Edge Products

The primary concern is that the front of the bolt retracts back far enough (rear of the mag box) so that the next round is picked up by the bolt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I finally found that product but Shawn is out of shop until the 18th 😞looks like PT&G sells a kit but it comes with no instructions

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is the PT&G kit.
When ordering from them, call and make sure your parts are in stock.
They are notorious for putting your order on back order without permission.

Looks better when the larger step cut is put on the bottom side (hidden behind stock) with just the pin hole showing on top.
[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

He did another one like this, without a step cut. It's in the second link below.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/material-downloads/boltmod/boltstop.pdf
https://rifleshooter.com/2013/07/installing-an-external-bolt-stoprelease-on-a-remington-700/

Defiance sells a kit.
Standard and extended for a little more projection on the push button.
https://defiancemachine.com/product/bolt-stop-kit/

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've done one PT&G on a short action M700, measured it all out and made up a blueprint with quick CAD to verify the fit. The bad thing is I think it was saved on a flash drive that contained my Mastercam programs that I gave to a coworker when I retired.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks like the idea is to put it as far rearward as possible

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On my Defiance action, I can see that they mapped where the top of the bolt lug raceway cut was and placed the top of the bolt stop/release cut just below that. That puts the bolt stop rotated up as high as possible while staying 100% in the bolt lug raceway.

If you're not worried about inference with the stock, then center the bolt stop cut at 90 degrees.

Here's a guy that made an interesting video on his manual install of the R700 side bolt stop/release.
I think he used the PTG part, did his step cut on the bottom side and didn't through-drill his pin hole.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Once I had my action rotation index verified at 0° I rotated it 90° plus another 10° (IIRC) towards the top. The centerline of the slot for the bolt release is on the centerline of the bolt raceway. That puts 100% of the bolt stop inside the bolt lug raceway for the bolt stop to make full contact with the bolt lug.

Found what I was looking for. This is 15° which is just inside of the bolt lug raceway.

Last edited by AJ300MAG; 03/15/24. Reason: Added print
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here are a few comments from LRI.
The last two points are noteworthy.

Re: PTG BOLT STOP PRINT

I don't know/have a print but perhaps I can help a bit.

The ejection length on a bolt is probably the most important consideration when installing a bolt stop. How it relates to this is the position of the bolt stop in relation to where it'll prevent rearward travel of the bolt. Too far forward and you have a mess as it'll fail to eject a spent case, fail to pick up the next cartridge from the magazine, and prevent a cartridge from being single loaded.

The first and last are extreme points. It would take a real "genius" to goof it up that bad, but stranger things have happened. . .

In the case of a Remington it's rather simple. Install the factory bolt stop, note where the travel stops on the bolt, and position your stop accordingly. Pretty easy.

What I always do is insert the box with a cartridge and ensure the face of the bolt is able to travel behind the rim of the case. In most instances this will position the bolt stop all the way back to where there is a thin margin between the tang/rear bridge transition.

Next, is the clock position on the receiver. More and more guys are moving the bolt stop to about a "9:30" position (as viewed from behind the rifle) as it avoids having to inlet the stock for the new feature. I personally stay "old school" and do it at the 9:00 position. Just a personal preference.

Drilling the hole is likely the most challenging part. Spot the location with a small endmill (I like a 1/8 4F carb that's ground to cut on center) and followup with the drill. Use a split point drill with some cobalt in it and the hole should drill real nice. Some oil/coolant will help too.

Speaking in general terms: IF the bolt stop is well made it'll have some key features that may not be immediately apparent. They are:

1. It should be softer than the bolt. The repeated hammering from cycling will peen the back of the lug in nothing flat if it's too hard.

2. The pin hole in the stop should be elongated slightly. The pin should be along for the ride and only prevent the stop from coming out of the receiver. The bolt stop should transmit all impact energy directly from bolt to receiver via a small lug feature on the back side of it. Hammer the pin and it'll bend. then it's stuck in the capacity that it'll no longer work and you can't remove it from the receiver. Basically your effed at that point. You'll likely ruin the parts (to include your action) trying to remove it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't get either Defensive Edge or Defiance on the phone, neither have the ability to order off their websites. Might have to send it out after all

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Troutcreeks

I'd be interested in how that was done .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.