Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is an interesting video about an Alaska bear guide when he was charged and had to shoot the Brown bear who was charging at him full bore. He said his 400 grains .411 bullet stopped the bear in mid-stride. He is also the man who founded Knives of Alaska. The title of the video is a bit misleading, however.

Enjoy.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I enjoyed that L.W.

Thanks

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Enjoyed every second. Thanks LW!

Would listen to Charles Allen anytime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent video. Thanks for posting. Some great looking knives, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He said he dropped the bear at the shot, but the video shows the bear running away and piling up a short distance away. Memories are funny things.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spomer,I looks and sounds like a very nice guy, but...he did a video a while back on double rifles and he was pretty clueless. Just one example: "you always fire the rear trigger FIRST, otherwise if you fire the front trigger, recoil will make your finger slip to the rear trigger and both barrels will go off. Like this video, there is "some" truth to this, but the fact remains the "back trigger always" is nonsense..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
He said he dropped the bear at the shot, but the video shows the bear running away and piling up a short distance away. Memories are funny things.
I couldn't see clearly enough, but I think it knocked it back and down and then it ran off. Pretty common with the big bears. Takes a lot to finally stop them. One from adrenalin. Two from they have a lot of blood before pressure drops.

FWIW I always carry a big knife just in case. I may trade that to a pistol at some point. Have not decided. But in case I loose my rifle in a fight.

We had a guide that gave a warning shot and then hit a tree on the next shot and the bear was on him and luckily it didn't bite or maul as he hit it in the nose as hard as he could while it stood on his chest with his 375 pinned.

I am impressed with my 458 on bears. I was told I would be. You can see every hit impact the bear. The one that tried to charge from the bed this fall, every time I hit the bear at 30 feet it knocked it back into its bed until I had 5 barnes 350 TSX in the bear and in probably 5 minutes it breathed its last. Lucky this bear was a client bear. I hate to have to DLP one but I will if it ever becomes necessary. The one that ripped the tent fly off my bomb shelter last fall and got the claws through the tent, had that bear made it into the tent with me, I would have shot it for sure.

Ron is not my favorite. Is what it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He let the bear get to 12 feet before shooting?

I'm sitting in a 12' room and envisioning a brown bear charging me, maybe 12' is where it made its last mark on the ground. I wouldn't let it get within 12 yards .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've made knives for close to 50 years and have tried to keep up with the new technology.....Diamond Blade Knives are new to me and I'am very interested and need to know more !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m reasonably sure I have handled and done some minor repair work on the rifle used in this video. Surely there couldn’t be too many 411KDFs running around on that river in particular.

IIRC it was an Interarms MkX with an 18” barrel with irons in a wood stock.

Pretty neat story either way.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember watching that video years ago. The client that he had was from Cabela’s. He was supposed to shoot a grizzly bear and moose with a bow. He shot a nice moose at a very short distance and gut shot him. The guides facial expressions was like what the hell did you just do you gotta be kidding me :-) I believe they tracked that animal for two days before they got it. So he said no you’re not shooting a bear with a bow you’re gonna shoot it with a rifle. The hunter was a complete idiot, way out of his league.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OMG! This video is resurfacing again. It was laughed off other sites years ago.

One of the knife designs intrigued me so I bought one as they are D2 steel like my Dozier. Believe me, they are not in the same league as a Dozier.
A friend still has one of the knives and has asked for help to sharpen it........sorry but I can't sharpen my own knife and it's going to a yard sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta be hell following Allen on a good stretch of muskeg.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I made it through most of the video. Got past the “don’t shoot until you can clean their teeth”, the bear that dropped at that distance but was substantially further away in the video, and the part about getting 2700-2800 fps with a 400 gr bullet. Now I’m no expert on doing dental assistant work on bears or redlining handloads for a dinosaur gun, but the effects of these little issues was cumulative.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Clickbait infomercial

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Next up;

See video of how Civil Engineer dug the Panama Canal with just his house key!

Well actually he used hundreds of laborers, dynamite and heavy equipment but he did have his house key in his pocket...

By the way our 34 minute video of the feat will show 2 seconds digging the Panama Canal, 16 minutes talking about it & 18 minutes showing you where you can buy a duplicate house key.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Contrary to recent belief (fallacy), the fact still remains……”there is no substitute for cubic inches”!

While modern powder, and bullets have made small calibers/cartridges much more effective, I suspect that very few (thank you Darwin) while being charged by a very large animal determined to kill you would drop the big bore rifle and say…..”quick, give me the 6.5 Creedmore”! 😉

I may be incorrect in my assumption! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/21/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
OMG! This video is resurfacing again. It was laughed off other sites years ago.

One of the knife designs intrigued me so I bought one as they are D2 steel like my Dozier. Believe me, they are not in the same league as a Dozier.
A friend still has one of the knives and has asked for help to sharpen it........sorry but I can't sharpen my own knife and it's going to a yard sale.
👍👍👍

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So 2700 fps with a 400g bullet from a 458 case?

Bb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
So 2700 fps with a 400g bullet from a 458 case?

Bb

That set off my BS meter too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (AussieGunWriter, benchman, 10Glocks, BALLISTIK, 35, 10 invisible), 1,236 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,240
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.