Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I'll take all the LC 223 brass people wanna give me.

+1, got a 55 gallon barrel of it that needs prepped but ill keep adding to it

Scrap still $3/pound ?

why would i scrap it? i clean it, proccess it, prime it, and sell it, $235 per 1000

sorry man--------edit------

$117/1000 pcs here shipped.....

Cleanest 1X'd brass you'll ever see..unprimed of course

https://precisionbrass.net/product/5-56mm-223-once-fired-brass-precision-brass/

good price then you got to size, trim, debur primer pocket, uniform primer pockets, beburr flash hole, camfer case mouth then reclean and prime and you still dont have 1000 of the same cases

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Scrap still $3/pound ?

why would i scrap it? i clean it, proccess it, prime it, and sell it, $235 per 1000

good price then you got to size, trim, debur primer pocket, uniform primer pockets, beburr flash hole, camfer case mouth then reclean and prime and you still dont have 1000 of the same cases

Again

P/dogs/squirrels don't care

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Scrap still $3/pound ?

Again

P/dogs/squirrels don't care

nope either do i

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I guess I am not alone on this subject . A good share of this brass will be used for things that do not need ultra precision . I will muddle along with prepping and using it ! Thanks to all

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one favorite load for one particular rifle; 40gr Nosler. 27 gr Tac, and a lake city case. I fired fifty of those loads at several targets and then put the same load in a handful of mixed brass. Fired at the same target array

The results from the mixed brass were just as good as the pet load with Lake City.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Seafire
bought a Dillion Pocket Swager from Hanco for $50.

Probably the most useful thing on my reload bench, after the press....
and best $50 I've spent on anything I have on my reload bench.

I don't have to pass up on Lake City brass.... and I have thousands of cases of those...
and they last a long time.

some lucky person will strike the jackpot when Its my time to go....

I forgot you bought it, glad your getting use out of it. I use a Wilson tool and adapter in a drill. I clamp drill in my bench vice, use tie strap it keep drill turning slow. I wear a pair of thick rubber gloves to hold brass. I can ream crimp out as fast as I can pick them up and throw in a box.

Last edited by hanco; 03/25/24.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I rarely reload range brass. Two exceptions: 40 pieces Hornady 308 neatly put back in factory box and thrown away and 20 pieces 300 WinMag same thing. I just sold 20 lbs I scrounged at a hunting lodge in Texas. I do not understand people who do not reload.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SlickLizard
I rarely reload range brass. Two exceptions: 40 pieces Hornady 308 neatly put back in factory box and thrown away and 20 pieces 300 WinMag same thing. I just sold 20 lbs I scrounged at a hunting lodge in Texas. I do not understand people who do not reload.

Did it have crimped primer pockets? I've come across a bunch of Hornady 308 range brass that does.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

its getting to the point that with the price and shortage of components it dosent pay to reload anymore unless your shooting precision, 9mm comes to mind where its cheaper to use factory and not reload

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

its getting to the point that with the price and shortage of components it dosent pay to reload anymore unless your shooting precision, 9mm comes to mind where its cheaper to use factory and not reload
There is no way you can buy ammo cheaper than you can reload i dont care what cartridge it is.
You keep believing that one day you will go to the store and there won't be any to buy.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is no way you can buy ammo cheaper than you can reload i dont care what cartridge it is. Yeah the foundation of nutrition
You keep believing that one day you will go to the store and there won't be any to buy.

i think i said its getting to that point, dont get your piss in a bubble, paid 19 cents a piece for Sellier & Bellot 9mm so thats getting right about there, Sellier & Bellot is cheap right now

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I think this is true for plinking ammo. However, if you load anything other than FMJ, it's cheaper to load (and can be more accurate).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by devnull

I think this is true for plinking ammo. However, if you load anything other than FMJ, it's cheaper to load (and can be more accurate).

that i agree with 100%

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
9mm

Still using powder/primers for good ole days

Actually just bought more SP primers from Norma USA

$50/1K shipped....sold out now

https://normausa.com/product/blowout/primers-b/small-pistol-primers-made-in-argentina/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is no way you can buy ammo cheaper than you can reload i dont care what cartridge it is. Yeah the foundation of nutrition

i think i said its getting to that point, dont get your piss in a bubble, paid 19 cents a piece for Sellier & Bellot 9mm so thats getting right about there, Sellier & Bellot is cheap right now
Seems your piss is in a bubble, im just stating facts.
Heard the same argument out of rifle shooters how did that work out for them these last few years.
Its only been recently pistol ammo has come down and more available.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/26/24.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I usually pick up 223, 45acp, and 9mm. I will pick up others if they’re nice and desirable like 308 and magnum pistol cases. They have to be top quality. I shoot a lot of 223 between five rifles and probably have well over 15,000 once fired cases because I sort through what I pick up and toss the junk if there are too few and or they’re of a brand I don’t care to keep. Although I have tons of the 223, it still is wise to keep when the shortage happens again or to sell them when I retire and they are worth $2 a piece by that time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Heard the same argument out of rifle shooters how did that work out for them these last few years.

Interesting, I wont say how many but i bought the crap out of Federal 62 grain 556 @27 cents and 55 grain @23 cents per and might have given the UPS a hernia a couple times. Also bought the hell out of some Norma 62 grain when they had a fire sale @ 36 cents per. 9mm for 6.99 a 50 when Walmart quit selling handgun ammo, Federal HST 124 grain self defense ammo for 10.99. Yes it can be cheaper to buy factory at times because you know what even though i bought the components cheap I still couldnt reload for that.

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Interesting, I wont say how many but i bought the crap out of Federal 62 grain 556 @27 cents and 55 grain @23 cents per and might have given the UPS a hernia a couple times. Also bought the hell out of some Norma 62 grain when they had a fire sale @ 36 cents per. 9mm for 6.99 a 50 when Walmart quit selling handgun ammo, Federal HST 124 grain self defense ammo for 10.99. Yes it can be cheaper to buy factory at times because you know what even though i bought the components cheap I still couldnt reload for that.
Anybody who shoots very much and rely on going to the store assuming they can just by ammo wherever they need it is a fool. It wasn't but about a year ago maybe 2 that I would walk in a store and there wasn't any ammo on the shelf period.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here bud you completely missed the point. I dont depend on buying at a store, but I dont believe in sitting at a bench for 2-3 hours loading rounds that total cost is 2-3 cents cheaper than what I can buy and those prices were for shipped. Even with a good stash of components sooner or later you have to replace at significantly higher cost.
Now when you look at rounds like 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 25.06, 243, 220 Swift the prices of loaded ammo is shocking to say the least. Those I load for due to being able to load for 50-60% less depending on bullet compared to 1-2 bucks per. 45 ACP I shoot a bunch out of 3 pistols as its my standard carry caliber. 9mm and 556 meh, don’t really trip my trigger.

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You missed the point Bud, my reloading room is sitting full of stuff for pistol and rifle that I bought 99% 5-10 years ago, more than I will ever shoot and alot will be left for my grandson. I will never depend on a store for ammo and alot of brass for most of my 17 and 20 cal stuff.
I shoot probably shoot minimum of 3,000 rounds a year in my rifles and friends- family's rifles alone i load for.
Did I say not to shoot cheap ammo? NO.
jDont expect to buy ammo all time this [bleep] is better now but it will get worse and mostly likely more expensive the presedent has been set.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/26/24.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.