Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1929923 01/09/08
L
les7mm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
what do you think a good o/u shotgun would be for the money i want to shoot sheets.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ruger Red Lable and then Browing Citori , I like the Browing better.It goes on from there depends on the money you want to spend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should get the one that fits you best or you will never shoot it well. I agree the Citori is a great shotgun and I have several of them... But I cannot shoot them to save myself. they simply do not fit me.

Winchester 101s are available and they fit me quite well and i have a couple of them. The Berretas also fit me well and I like them the best for me. I think the Browning guts are a little better, but I have not had problems with either of them.

The Ruger is off the bottom of my list. I do not like the fit or the feel of them and find them "clunky" in the swing. They weigh too much as field guns, obviously not a problem when shooting "sheets" though. wink I like to sit around and shoot the sheet, BTW. wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The Ruger is off the bottom of my list. I do not like the fit or the feel of them and find them "clunky" in the swing.

I gotta disagree.

I think the Red Label is probably the best deal for the money out there.

I love their lines, they usually have nicer wood than the others, they fit me perfectly, and shoot right where I'm looking.

The argument of a Browning or Beretta will last longer means nothing to the casual weekend shooter, who isn't shooting 10,000 registered birds a year.

It all boils down to fit though, so the original poster would do best to try a few different guns and see what feels best in his hands. See if the local club has a regular skeet or sporting clays shoot. Go introduce yourself to some of the shooters, explain your situation, and I bet you'll be shooting a little bit of everything before the day is over. See what works and doesn't work for you. Narrow it down, and then go look for a deal on one that you like.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree: I have two Red Labels: 20 and 28. I love both!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pick up a used trap/skeet/clays Citori, they can be had for $1,000 or less if you look.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got to shoot a round of skeet with a guys cynergy field 20ga. Man that thing was nice

kinda like this one
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89093840

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mudbogger
If it is possible to make a gun uglier than a Ruger O/U the cynergy series does it! wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ColdBore
Disagreeing is fine, no bent feelers here whatsoever. Cosmetics are certainly in the eye of the beholder, but in my experience the Rugers are anything but tough and reliable.

Another factor I have noticed is the number available with underwhelmed owners... I know quite a few O/U shooters that have gotten rid of Rugers and I know none that currently shoot one. Just my observations and YMMV.
art

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
mudbogger
If it is possible to make a gun uglier than a Ruger O/U the cynergy series does it! wink
art

you know thats what I thought when I was looking at the pics. But then that guy had one at the range it was simple. Zero engraving, plain jane flat hard butt plate. I dont believe there was any checkering. He said he paid 1200 for it.

I suppose next thing your goona tell me is that a chevy looks better than a ford grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, Fords rule! wink

Read several interesting comments here re. the cynergy, which was a move caused by lagging sales in the Citori line. They had to do something... but sales have been slower on the cynergy. Internally it is probably as good as a Citori, which I consider to be a very well-made gun, but outside?!?!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
ok at least you agree on the fords.

I think it is an aquired taste. I dont ussually care for an over/under. Im a pump and side/side kinda guy. But that cynergy had a sleekness to it.

An its all right if you dont like it. I mean everybody has thier flaws grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
.....which was a move caused by lagging sales in the Citori line.

Hmmm, maybe everybody else isn't that impressed with them either... whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the money: for less than the Ruger Red Label, which I don't like (had one), for less than a Citori (had two, have 1 now), you can absolutely buy a field grade Belgian. It is the best over under for the money. There's a rack of them down the street for between a a thousand and say seventeen hundred. I've got three 12's and a 20. For skeet, a full cylinder gun today, and Briley tubes down the line if you could ever want anything more.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ColdBore
.....which was a move caused by lagging sales in the Citori line.

Hmmm, maybe everybody else isn't that impressed with them either... whistle

I dunno bout that. Might take a look at the local trap range an see wich over/under is most common. Gotta hunch your goona see a truckload of citoris, a decent amount of winchester 101's. and then your various high dollar trap guns.

just an after thought, I havnt talked to a single person that owned a remington 3200 that had any complaints. A guy I shoot with has a 4 barreled set for his 3200 an loves it. Lil to blocky for me though as I like the sleek streamined look myself.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 01/10/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mud bogger
Not saying there is any shortage of SOLD Citoris... just that sales slowed too much. Have to make a model change to reinvigorate sales.

The 101 is my favorite and the prices locally have dropped quite a bit. They are also steel shot safe according to Winchester....
art

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ill agree with that.

Also the only 101 I have dealt with was a trap grade. Just cant get used to a high comb on a shotgun.

I will tell you sumthin though. If I had the money I would buy a cynergy an send up there. You would put it in the safe for the time being due to its ugliness. But kinda like an ugly dog it would grow on you, purty soon you would have the urge to try it, then you would. A tada another cynergy fan is born grin grin grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt it... the stocks have the same measurements as the citoris and likely would fit me every bit as well...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
anybody ever tell you that you have an open mind grin

I have only shot a few over/unders. One was a citori lightning another the cynergy. Killed skeet with both but they were a few years apart so I couldnt tell ya if they were the same stock or not.

However For fit,function an dependability I keep finding myself grabbing my S&W m3000.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 01/10/08.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For my money the Beretta 686/687 series fits and feels the best of anything mentioned.

Something like the White Onyx will fill the bill for skeet, sporting clays and upland bird hunting.

Fit and finish on the Berettas is excellent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.